A Fall Hike at Eagle Creek - October 22

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
darqmiko

A Fall Hike at Eagle Creek - October 22

Post by darqmiko » October 24th, 2011, 9:33 pm

A late start got us to the Eagle Creek Hatchery parking lot by noon. The lot was packed and we parked 1/2 mile from the trail head. As we got out of the car we were assaulted by the smell of rotting fish as the creek near the hatchery was full of spawning and dead salmon. Seagulls were taking full advantage of the situation.

Our goal, Tunnel Falls. Not sure we had time but decided to go for it. Made it round trip in just over 5 hours. Whew!
Attachments
IMAG1076.jpg
Up close to Tunnel Falls
IMAG1076.jpg (10.74 KiB) Viewed 4300 times
IMAG1080.jpg
Tunnel Falls!
IMAG1080.jpg (13.69 KiB) Viewed 4300 times
IMAG1055.jpg
Right before crossing High Bridge
IMAG1055.jpg (9.78 KiB) Viewed 4300 times
IMAG1041.jpg
Looking over Punchbowl Falls
IMAG1041.jpg (13.49 KiB) Viewed 4300 times
IMAG1036.jpg
IMAG1036.jpg (8.57 KiB) Viewed 4300 times
IMAG1028.jpg
IMAG1028.jpg (10.01 KiB) Viewed 4300 times

AlexanderSupertramp

Re: A Fall Hike - October 22

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » October 24th, 2011, 10:30 pm

Welcome darqmiko! I'm glad you made it to Tunnel Falls. Was it your first time up there?

Easyrider

Re: A Fall Hike at Eagle Creek - October 22

Post by Easyrider » November 25th, 2011, 9:35 pm

Decided to burn off some of yesterday's calories and hiked out to Twister Falls (which is just past Tunnel Falls).

If you like falls, this is the hike to go on. And with the recent rains and snow melt-off, this is definitely the weekend to do it!

We did this hike last April and thought the falls were pretty impressive but the water is really roaring now!

http://www.theoriginaleasyrider.com/punchbowl.htm

We hit the trailhead pretty early and there wasn't a soul around. By the time we got back to Punchbowl, the joint was packed. Mostly sneaker wearing college kids though, not serious hikers. We did run into a guy who was camped out at Wy East though. Even though it wasn't raining, you'll definitely need ankle high, waterproof boots and a raincoat on this hike....

Was figuring on an easy hike to Wahclella Falls tomorrow and maybe exploring around the area a little. VanMarmots TR on Munra Point sounds interesting and is more or less the direction we had planned to explore anyway. I suspect the falls will be crowded although we plan to be there at the crack of dawn.
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from surviving bad judgment. ~Rita Mae Brown

Peder

Post by Peder » November 25th, 2011, 11:06 pm

Welcome to the site and thanks for the report. Once you have uploaded a picture, you can place the cursor in the text and click "place in-line" to put the image into the text. It is kind of counterintuitive.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

chameleon

Post by chameleon » November 26th, 2011, 5:10 pm

Thanks for the great report! It's impossible to get too much of Eagle Creek - especially in the fall!

mayhem

Post by mayhem » November 28th, 2011, 3:41 pm

& A hike from 11_27_11 It started out nice but ended in serious rain! I went through all 3 pair of water proof gloves...Hahaha..what a joke!! & 2 pair of regular gloves.
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

Richard

Post by Richard » November 28th, 2011, 9:04 pm

Thanks for the posts everyone. I love this site and follow closely the daring do of the Loonies. I'm doing this hike for the first time Saturday morning. Also my first post. Awesome video, Mayhem!

mayhem

Post by mayhem » November 28th, 2011, 9:16 pm

Richard wrote:Thanks for the posts everyone. I love this site and follow closely the daring do of the Loonies. I'm doing this hike for the first time Saturday morning. Also my first post. Awesome video, Mayhem!
Welcome aboard Richard :) Take some pictures & share your experience. It is always interesting to get a different perspective. This trail is a killer for my feet if I don't wear a tough soled shoe.
The lot is usually pretty empty around 7-8am but after that anything goes. This last Sunday 4-5 cars in the lot at 10:am & 4-5 cars in the lot at 3:30pm

Peder

Post by Peder » November 28th, 2011, 10:41 pm

Mark - That is a superb video of Eagle Creek. I suspect that you have too much time for recliner hikes! :shock: I really enjoyed watching in. Thanks.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

mayhem

Post by mayhem » November 29th, 2011, 12:15 pm

Peder wrote:Mark - That is a superb video of Eagle Creek. I suspect that you have too much time for recliner hikes! :shock: I really enjoyed watching in. Thanks.
Yes! way to much time & not enough money :)
I almost did not make a video because this was one of the worst experience hikes I can remember! My buddy got sick near Tunnel Falls & was also having problems with his knee. We were moving at a very slow pace, so, we were also getting very cold & wet. I changed my cloths just a bit late, so, I could never really warmed up. Crazy Eagle Creek Hike!