Trillium Lake

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Trillium Lake

Post by bobcat » August 11th, 2011, 9:08 am

For the second part of our day in the Mt. Hood vicinity (West Fork Falls was our morning excursion), my wife and I dropped down to Trillium Lake and picnicked in the day-use area. People should note that the Trillium Lake area, like Lost Lake, is managed by a concessionaire and the Northwest Forest Pass does not apply. The price of admission is $5, or you will get a ticket.

To do the loop hike around the lake, just head to the shore. We went left along the path. While the West Fork Falls trail probably sees only a few people a year, even though it is so close to civilization, Trillium Lake draws them in by the hundreds every day. Campers, tots on tricycles, paddle boarders, swimmers, barbecuers, and picnickers in boutique blouses, jeggings, and high heels - they’re all there enjoying the great outdoors. Despite this, the far shore is relatively peaceful and definitely worth the amble.

We went left on the trail and crossed below the causeway on the dam wall. These mallards took some time off for preening before begging for more snacks:
Trillium ducks.jpg
Trillium Lake dams Mud Creek. The area used to be an open marsh and in the 1860s a log road was built across it to form part of the Barlow Road on the Oregon Trail. No sign exists of that now, but there is a pioneer gravesite up near Summit Meadows. The trail alternates between shady stretches in the woods and boardwalks across sedge bogs and red-cedar/skunk-cabbage bottoms:
Boardwalk.jpg
The north side of the lake runs into the bogs that form the headwaters of Mud Creek. Here are some boggy plants (in order): long-spurred bog orchid, marsh burnet, narrow-leaved cotton-grass, marsh cinquefoil, western water-hemlock
Bog orchid.jpg
Burnet.jpg
Cotton-grass.jpg
Cinquefoil.jpg
Water-hemlock.jpg
Soon you get around to the crowded area again, passing the campground, boat launches (no motor boats), and back to the day-use area. Here’s the Please Come and Vacation in Beautiful Oregon shot:
Canoe and Hood.jpg
It’s a two-mile stroll around the lake. I often ski in this area in the winter, but it’s only the second time I’ve done this walk. The first was with two young children many years ago and we had a blast, so it’s a commendable diversion for young children, visitors, and people who like to barbecue with a view.

pdxgene

Re: Trillium Lake

Post by pdxgene » August 12th, 2011, 8:18 pm

Unless something has changed in the last few weeks, well since June 4th when I was last there, someone gave you some bad info. The NWFP is honored at Trillium and has been for some time.
I think it's still worth $5 but I think it is money you did not need to pay.

Peabody

Post by Peabody » August 12th, 2011, 8:43 pm

NWFP cannot be used for Trillium Lake. Link
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

bobcat

Post by bobcat » August 13th, 2011, 8:18 am

Thanks, Peabody! Yes, only my second time to park here in the summer and I breezed by the info. board and stuck up my Forest Pass. Returning from our picnic/walk, I had a ticket. It was just a warning exhorting us to be good, and I paid my $5 as we left. The concessionaire there has a flyer listing the all the sites in the MHNF where the Forest Pass is/is not honored in the MHNF:
trailpasses.jpg
You can avoid the fee by driving over the causeway and parking off the gravel road above the west side of the lake. A couple groups were also camped in the woods here at unofficial sites.

John

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » August 13th, 2011, 8:37 am

Wow, what a ripoff! That's all new. It includes Frog Lake, Clear Lake and a number of other places that the forest pass has covered for years. What's the point of even having one if half the places don't honor it?

bobcat

Post by bobcat » August 13th, 2011, 9:04 am

While I also bemoan the proliferating number of passes/fees to keep track of, this recreation site fee only impacts hikers minimally. Trillium Lake is not a real "hike" of course, and 99% of the people who go there aren't there for the boardwalk stroll. Most hikers park at the Frog Lake Sno-Park rather than the day-use area at the lake. There are plenty of trailheads to park at in the Olallie area which don't require any kind of pass at all. I've usually hiked Timothy Lake, which is a PGE facility anyway, in the fall (after Oct. 1st) and from Little Crater. Lost Lake does have a number of trails in its vicinity. I suppose you could avoid the fee by parking away from the lake off a road somewhere. The other sites don't really have any trails at all.

All of these places have very high-impact recreational use from non-hikers and require constant clean-up and supervision. They're not just a trailhead post out in the boonies. Budget woes have forced the USFS to outsource because our current tax dollars are stretched to the limit and as long as people resist the idea of paying higher general taxes for a variety of services, some of which may not benefit them directly, actual users will be "taxed" per visit.

John

geographics

Post by geographics » August 13th, 2011, 9:27 am

xx2.jpg

Peabody

Post by Peabody » August 14th, 2011, 6:34 pm

The date on the upper right hand corner is 5/15/2008. It is out of date.
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » August 14th, 2011, 7:07 pm

If you go to Mount Hood NF website and search for Trillium Lake they say that the Northwest Forest Pass is not honored at Trillium Lake's Day Use Area.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsint ... icnic+Area

That's a real bummer, since there aren't even porta potties by the dam.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

bobcat

Post by bobcat » August 15th, 2011, 9:05 am

My abject apologies about the outdated information. I have the flyer but went online to find something similar and got the 2008 information in error. So now I've found the current flyer. Glad people are keeping a sharp eye on things:
pass 2011.jpg