Saddle Mountain Trail, 06/24/11

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Crusak

Saddle Mountain Trail, 06/24/11

Post by Crusak » June 29th, 2011, 4:55 pm

My family and I spent six wonderful days in Seaside, June 23-28. As part of my vacation plans, I brought some hiking gear along, with the intention of sneaking out for a couple of day hikes while we were at the Coast.

On June 24th I hiked Saddle Mountain, only the second time I've ever done that trail. Unfortunately the weather was just about exactly like my first hike there - wet, misty, and completely socked in with clouds.

Still, it was great to get out and stretch my legs.

There was a 'Road Closed' sign at the turnoff for Saddle Mountain. I could see that there had been plenty of road work done recently, and lots of road construction vehicles were parked along the road in several spots. I decided to see if the road was really closed, so I continued on until I reached the parking lot. Guess it wasn't really closed. :)

I was the only person on the trail when I started out. I had a great hike. On the way back down I did pass a few other people who'd ignored the 'Road Closed' sign like I did.

It only took me 45 minutes to descend from the summit. I was very surprised at that. For me, going downhill has always been an issue in the past. Guess that is getting easier now. Another great hike. My only regret was wearing a light fleece shell instead of a rain jacket.

I just figured out that it is possible to attach .gpx files to our posts - here is mine:
saddle_mtn_062411.gpx
(139.76 KiB) Downloaded 348 times
up and up the trail goes.jpg
paintbrush along trail.jpg
wildflowers on saddle mtn.jpg
walking the fence.jpg
crusak at summit.jpg
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

retired jerry

Re: Saddle Mountain Trail, 06/24/11

Post by retired jerry » June 29th, 2011, 5:02 pm

how did you attach gpx file?

Crusak

Post by Crusak » June 29th, 2011, 5:29 pm

retired jerry wrote:how did you attach gpx file?
I attached it just like we attach photos - worked the same way.

I'm curious to see if anyone has success opening the .gpx file after downloading it. I wonder if it is intact, or if it got converted to some other file format. If anyone is able to download it and open the file, please reply.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

arundodonax

Post by arundodonax » June 29th, 2011, 6:38 pm

So did they fix the waviness in the asphalt, or was the road closed for other reasons? :D

Crusak

Post by Crusak » June 29th, 2011, 6:48 pm

Honestly, I didn't see much wrong. I think they'd recently completed most of the repairs. There are many sections of road that look like they have been fixed.

Don't tell my wife, but I got distracted for just a moment on the way back down... and voomp! the right tires of our van slid (barely) off the asphalt. First thing she asked me was how I got all that mud on the right side... I told her the road was muddy. :lol: Maybe I should tell her the truth, AFTER I wash the van this weekend.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 29th, 2011, 7:31 pm

I downloaded it and successfully opened with MapSource

puma111

Post by puma111 » June 30th, 2011, 8:17 am

I've always wanted to do this hike - thanks for the report!

How long is that "fence" section? Do you think my dog would do okay on that part, or would it be rough on bare paws?

Thanks for any advice!!

Crusak

Post by Crusak » June 30th, 2011, 8:23 am

puma111 wrote:How long is that "fence" section? Do you think my dog would do okay on that part, or would it be rough on bare paws?
The sections that have wire fencing on the ground are mostly the very steep parts. There are several parts of the trail that are covered with the stuff. My guess is that it is there mostly to prevent erosion. I did find that sometimes it helped with traction, when I was going downhill.

There are two types of fencing - the traditional diamond pattern, and a heavier rectangular pattern. I think that it would be safe enough for a dog to walk on, at least, it's no worse than walking on all that sharp, jagged rock.

But I would hope that someone who regularly hikes with their dog can give us a better answer. ;)
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

IDratherbehiking

Post by IDratherbehiking » June 30th, 2011, 9:35 am

How long did it take you to traverse the road up to the trail head, minus your mudding time LOL. It took me about 30 minutes either way back in March and the road was nearly in bits.

mayhem

Post by mayhem » June 30th, 2011, 11:16 am

puma111 wrote:I've always wanted to do this hike - thanks for the report!

How long is that "fence" section? Do you think my dog would do okay on that part, or would it be rough on bare paws?

Thanks for any advice!!
My dog has been with me without issue! But some dogs like water others do not? some are bothered by different ground some are not. My dog did not care about the fencing, but I did as I have to use poles and the fencing cathes the poles all the time.
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!