Eagle Creek rto Wahtum Lake June 25-27

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Wandering Bob

Eagle Creek rto Wahtum Lake June 25-27

Post by Wandering Bob » June 28th, 2011, 1:18 pm

The wife and I intended to do a loop from Eagle Creek to Wahtum Lake, take the Wahtum Express to the PCT, then the PCT to the Gorge Trail and back to Eagle Creek.

We made it to Wahtum Lake without problems. The first across-the-trail snow appeared at 3700 feet, abount 300 yards below Wahtum itself.

The trail itself was very wet - often running with water - all the way, and most of the creek crossings were wet. Finding water was not a problem. The ford of the Indian Springs branch of Eagle Creek was the only one deep enough to get us to swap out our Crocs for our hiking boots.

At Wahtum Lake, the Wahtum Express/ Eagle Creek junction is clear. Another 100 yards, at the junction with the PCT from Indian springs, it was virtually solid snow, albeit only about 1-2 feet deep around the south side of the lake. The campsite to the left of this junction was completely dry, as was the first site along the Wahtum Express. The lake itself was ice-free and its usual deep emerald green color. Absolutely beautiful!

I took the Wahtum Express but lost it completely under the trees after about 200 yards. The snow there was spotty, but the patches were large and that trail twists like a snake. Since I had left my wife at the lake, I didn't feel like wandering blindly around in those trees searching for the trail, so we bactracked to Eagle Creek. We still had a marvelous three day hike under absolutlely beautiful weather.

We met several groups of hikers who had all come up the Ruckel Ridge Trail 405 onto the Benson Plateau. All reported continual snow, about 2 miles worth, on the plateua along the PCT. No sign of the trail. after that, snow was plentiful, but portions of trail were clear. All managed to find their way down the Wahtum Express, but not without difficulty.

Give it two more weeks and all should be clear. Wife took some pictures of the snow at Wahtum; I'll try to post them later.
Attachments
Watum Lake snow.jpg
Jct Eagle Creek and PCT from Indian Spgs. Post is about 30" tall
Watum approach 1.jpg
approach to Wahtum Lake 3700 feet
Last edited by Wandering Bob on June 28th, 2011, 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KenMac

Re: Eagle Creek rto Wahtum Lake June 25-27

Post by KenMac » June 28th, 2011, 2:22 pm

I appreciate your report! Planning on attempting loop next wknd via Nick Eaton Ridge. I'm a bit worried, hoping warm rain works miracles over the next few days! Great to know it looks at least doable up to Wahtum, could always turn around there like you did. Many reports coming in from other side, at least to Ridge Camp is clear, looks like Wahtum to Ridge Camp is the snow. If anyone has any further (especially if you've had the opportunity to be out in the area this week!) would really appreciate. Anyone think it at least possible to skirt Chinindere and loop back via Herman, there's probly only a bit over a mile there that could be snow by wknd. (reports show snow free up to Mudd Lake).
Thanks!

hikingsasquatch

Post by hikingsasquatch » June 28th, 2011, 4:56 pm

I think that as long as you are willing to do a little route finding with a good map and compass/excellent sense of direction, or a GPS-and you plan for a pace of no more than 2 mph-you should be able to circumnavigate Chinidere's eastern shoulder and drop down toward the 406B trail and the 406 without too much trouble. Just plan on a very steep and snowy descent toward Mud Lake.

KenMac

Post by KenMac » June 28th, 2011, 5:33 pm

Steep & snowy I can handle, but what is danger level? Sheer drops and such? I've never been up that way yet? Trying to get a feel for safety of getting over to Mud Lake?