Hunchback Mountain from Zigzag Ranger Station

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
runnerwalkeroregon

Hunchback Mountain from Zigzag Ranger Station

Post by runnerwalkeroregon » June 14th, 2011, 7:14 pm

Hi guys! My dad and I had the day off work, so we decided to head out for a hike near Mount Hood. After much frustration trying to reach an open trail, then trying to find a TH, we decided to just do Hunchback.
For someone completely out of shape, the hike was very difficult. It's not one I'd recommend for someone with physical problems, children, or beginners. But I persevered through the insane climb and scrambles and came upon some great views of the Salmon-Huckleberry Wilderness from the first major rocky outcropping. There's a view of Hood a ways down the trail at the 'Rockpile Viewpoint', but it's mostly through trees. I would've loved to make it to Devil's Peak Lookout, but couldn't due to time constraints. I didn't see even a patch of snow on the hike, so looks like things are clearing up.

The TH

Springhouse near TH

A rocky scramble

The view

Another view

'Rockpile Viewpoint'

Another scramble

A rhodie!

arundodonax

Re: Hunchback Mountain from Zigzag Ranger Station

Post by arundodonax » June 14th, 2011, 8:10 pm

Welcome!

Great flower pic, and it's nice to hear there's no snow!

bellaj1018

Post by bellaj1018 » June 14th, 2011, 8:42 pm

I'm astounded that Hunchback is clear and my 4 day backpack on the PCT in the Gorge next week can't take place due to lingering snow at 3600 feet. What a wacky year!

runnerwalkeroregon

Post by runnerwalkeroregon » June 14th, 2011, 8:58 pm

arundodonax: Thanks for the welcome! That was pretty much the only rhodie I saw blooming today, which is odd as they're usually out in full force right now!
bellaj: I actually was planning on doing Bald Mountain from Lolo Pass but was told at the FS headquarters that it's inaccessable. I may not have reached 3600 on the trail (I had to turn around and I'm not sure where I did), so don't quote me! :)

bellaj1018

Post by bellaj1018 » June 14th, 2011, 9:04 pm

We were going to do Lolo Pass to Cascade Locks (our backup to Wap. Pass to Ollalie Lake that we were going to do at the end of the month) but a friend who works in the Bull Run says Lolo Pass just melted out and the Blazed Alder snotel is still saying over 40 inches of snow. On a good note, the balsamroot on Dog is finally peaking and I actually got a sunburn hiking there today:)

runnerwalkeroregon

Post by runnerwalkeroregon » June 14th, 2011, 9:12 pm

Nice! I've always wanted to try Dog. Maybe next week, when my knees have recovered. Hopefully the wildflowers stick around for me! Glad you had some decent sun out there. It was in and out where I was.

MountainMel

Post by MountainMel » June 16th, 2011, 7:19 pm

My husband likes to call this hike the "Hunchback of noted pain". It is short and very steep. I don't know what he is whining about- I was the one carrying the 40 lbs of toddler plus gear :-)

hikingsasquatch

Post by hikingsasquatch » June 16th, 2011, 10:13 pm

Just finished the hike from Zigzag to Great Pyramid along the Hunchback Ridge. Apart from a few new blowdowns, the trail is in great shape with no snow just above 4000 feet! The rhodos all along the ridge are starting to bud and should be blooming in a couple weeks.