Dry Creek Falls 05-01-2011

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bunbunaz

Dry Creek Falls 05-01-2011

Post by bunbunaz » May 1st, 2011, 5:04 pm

Beautiful weather today so we opted for a short hike to Dry Creek Falls near Cascade Locks. Still a little early for wildflowers but the falls were nice. Even got some views of Mt. Adams along the way. Some flowers here and there but still a little early. We did this same hike last year mid-April and the amount of flowers was about the same so it looks like this year will be a little later when compared to last year. Still a nice hike so close to home. Saw quite a few people along the trail. Was disappointed to see several bags of dog poop (?) along the trail at the beginning but was pleasantly suprised to see them gone on our return trip.
Attachments
IMG_0101.JPG
Dry Creek Falls
IMG_0108.JPG
A wildflower along the way
IMG_0092.JPG
Mt. Adams
IMG_0086.JPG
Saw a couple of these red-headed woodpeckers.
IMG_0100.JPG
Dry Creek Falls

Easyrider

Re: Dry Creek Falls 05-01-2011

Post by Easyrider » May 21st, 2011, 6:31 pm

Did this hike today and went on to Herman Creek. It was nice to finally go on a hike where we weren't up to our necks in snow and/or getting rained on.

http://easyrider.easyrider.com/dry_creek.htm
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from surviving bad judgment. ~Rita Mae Brown

lisaeirene

Post by lisaeirene » May 12th, 2012, 11:21 am

Fantastic trip report and beautiful photos!

Peder

Post by Peder » May 12th, 2012, 9:05 pm

bunbunaz wrote:Was disappointed to see several bags of dog poop (?) along the trail at the beginning but was pleasantly suprised to see them gone on our return trip.
Great news! I am very reluctant to carry out dog poop bags... I only do it when I KNOW there is a trash can at the trail head. I have plans to see those falls soon; two attempts this year have failed to date (too much rain, so I/we went further east).
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

lisaeirene

Post by lisaeirene » May 13th, 2012, 1:09 pm

I tried to do this hike and somehow missed the trail after the dirt road with the powerlines. Where was it?

And was it 4.4 miles round trip or 4.4 miles to the waterfall and then 4.4 back to the trailhead?

Peder

Post by Peder » May 25th, 2012, 9:40 pm

lisaeirene wrote:I tried to do this hike and somehow missed the trail after the dirt road with the powerlines. Where was it?

And was it 4.4 miles round trip or 4.4 miles to the waterfall and then 4.4 back to the trailhead?
Sorry to have missed your questions: It is 2.2 miles each way. At the powerlines you basically go straight across and the trail continues on the other side. If you go back there, you can also take the gravel road back down to Cascade Locks making it into a loop (this adds about 0.7 miles to your hike, so a total of just over 5 miles) and hike back through town. There is a stand that serves gigantic ice cream waffles along the route! :o
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…