Eagle Creek to Wahtum Lake 4/8 - 4/9/11

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
kylemeyer

Eagle Creek to Wahtum Lake 4/8 - 4/9/11

Post by kylemeyer » April 12th, 2011, 8:47 am

28.5 miles, 4000' gained, 1 night(s)

Eagle Creek is one of the most beautiful trails in Oregon, but everyone who hikes regularly has done it plenty, almost to the point of disgust when proposed. So, it was wonderful to get a new perspective on this hike this weekend by finally getting to the terminus of the trail at Wahtum Lake. What the ordinary Eagle Creek hiker doesn't see are the beautiful woods deeper in, the upper canyon, and the views across to to Chinidere Mountain that lends the trail an even greater diversity than the canyons near the trailhead. It was also wonderful to meet a PortlandHikers.org member, Arundodonax, and go on this hike with him.

Chris and I left the trailhead around 1:30PM and made it through the hordes of people to the junction past 7.5 mile camp. We stopped for a quick break to eat something before switching back up the hill. At the junction with trail 435, we took another quick break, laying down on the trail for a few minutes before the tough work of snowshoeing began. Roughly 4 miles later, we made it to Wahtum Lake, punched a hole through the snow over the lake for water, and set camp.

If the weather holds, this hike will be perfect in about a month.

Hopefully Chris will post his photos from the trip, too!

retired jerry

Re: Eagle Creek to Wahtum Lake 4/8 - 4/9/11

Post by retired jerry » April 12th, 2011, 8:57 am

You are always very adventerous! Thanks for the report

Where'de you camp?

Did you need snowshoes?

You and other reports have mentioned how busy it is near trailhead but after a few miles it's not very busy, even on a weekend, good info.

kylemeyer

Post by kylemeyer » April 12th, 2011, 9:04 am

retired jerry wrote:You are always very adventerous! Thanks for the report

Where'de you camp?

Did you need snowshoes?

You and other reports have mentioned how busy it is near trailhead but after a few miles it's not very busy, even on a weekend, good info.
Adventures are part of the fun! Besides, I have to get into trail condition somehow before things actually start melting out.

We camped on the shore of Wahtum Lake near the campground. Definitely needed snowshoes—the snow was about 3-4 feet deep where we camped, and we were the first folks up there since the newest snow.

arundodonax

Post by arundodonax » April 12th, 2011, 10:17 am

The real adventurous one was the guy who decided to run up to Wahtum Saturday morning. Those guys amaze me.

A few more pics:

ErinL

Post by ErinL » April 12th, 2011, 1:35 pm

Cool report! Eagle to Wahtum is definitely one of my hiking goals. Thanks for posting.

Nabor J

Post by Nabor J » April 13th, 2011, 8:00 am

At which mile point / location is Eagle Creek covered by snow?

arundodonax

Post by arundodonax » April 13th, 2011, 9:35 am

Eagle creek is free from snow. Snow levels start around 2500'.

MarkInTheDark

Post by MarkInTheDark » April 14th, 2011, 4:41 pm

GREAT report and photos, thanks!

drm

Post by drm » April 15th, 2011, 7:18 am

It doesn't seem to me that a 2500 foot snow level in early April is all that bad, nor is 3-4 feet at the lake particularly deep. That basin really collects snow. Everybody has been saying that our soggy March means a late hiking season. But mostly - at least in these parts - I think we just caught up for the dry Jan and Feb. It really depends on what happens the next month.

kylemeyer

Post by kylemeyer » April 15th, 2011, 7:56 am

drm wrote:It doesn't seem to me that a 2500 foot snow level in early April is all that bad, nor is 3-4 feet at the lake particularly deep. That basin really collects snow. Everybody has been saying that our soggy March means a late hiking season. But mostly - at least in these parts - I think we just caught up for the dry Jan and Feb. It really depends on what happens the next month.
The coming forecast doesn't look too shabby for melting some of this new accumulation!