7/18/10 Eagle Creek to Twister Falls

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
SandM

7/18/10 Eagle Creek to Twister Falls

Post by SandM » July 19th, 2010, 8:40 am

Michelle and I headed out yesterday morning to do a bit of hiking. Since we have been concentrating on progressively higher/steeper peaks over the last few weeks, we decided to take a break and do Eagle Creek to Twister Falls. We arrived about 6:50am with only about 12 cars in the parking lot.

The hike itself was absolutely gorgeous. It was perfect weather and relatively cool. As I said before, we were looking at this hike as a break from our norm. It was a little more than I had expected. The climb is very gradual, but it's pretty rocky. Our feet and ankles are actually a little sore this morning. I thought it would almost literally be a walk in the park, but I guess 13 miles over some rocky terrain is a little more than that.

Anyway, the hike is awesome and, if you get there early, not too crowded. We saw about 18 others on our way up to Twister, but coming down...holy smokes. 100s of people on the trail. Especially once you get down below Punch Bowl Falls. That last couple of miles was like waiting in line at the grocery store. We actually saw multiple people in flip flops. Maybe we are just old fashioned, but even though this is a fairly easy trail, it wouldn't even occur to us to wear flip flops.

One more item of note before I run the risk of rambling on. If you have a fear of heights (as we do) this trail can be really scary in parts. We don't let our fear stop us, but it has a tendency to slow us down a bit. There are quite a few spots that have exposure. Especially the Vertigo Mile. Wow. We were actually in the middle of the Vertigo Mile, and had a discussion about turning around. Luckily we didn't, but man that was spooky! The photos below don’t do the trail a bit of justice.

Have a great day,
Seth and Michelle
Attachments
EC TH.JPG
Let the fun begin!
EC Michelle on Trail.JPG
Michelle posing for a photo. There are quite a few relatively small sections of exposure.
EC Punch Bowl Falls.JPG
An obligatory photo of Punch Bowl Falls.
EC Rock slide.JPG
When you come to the 2nd major rockslide, if you look up and to your right, you will see...
EC Osprey Nest.JPG
..an Osprey nest.
EC Seth on Trail.JPG
Here's me not being photogenic.
EC Trail2.JPG
Another gorgeous stretch of trail.
EC Trail3.JPG
The trail is packed full of beautiful views.
EC Tunnel Falls people.JPG
Trying to give a sense of the size and steepness of Tunnel Falls. Those are 2 hikers on in the upper right side.
EC Tunnel Falls2.JPG
On the other side of Tunnel Falls.
EC Twister Falls.JPG
Twister Falls is where we ate lunch and then headed back down.
EC Vertigo Mile.JPG
Trying to capture the "wow" factor of the Vertigo Mile. I think I failed. You can see Michelle on the far right.
EC Vertigo Mile3.JPG
I attached the camera to the tripod and then stuck it out over the ledge on Vertigo Mile. What the pictures do not capture, is the fear in our eyes.
EC Vireo.JPG
A Warbling Vireo near the beginning of the trail.
EC Butterflies.JPG
We saw 4 types of butterflies during the hike. These are 2 of them.
The civilized man has built a coach, but has lost the use of his feet. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

AlexanderSupertramp

Re: 7/18/10 Eagle Creek to Twister Falls

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » July 19th, 2010, 9:03 am

Great report guys. I don't care much for the vertigo mile type places either.

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » July 19th, 2010, 9:40 am

Very nice TR. I too have seen the crowds of people at Punchbowl wearing only flip-flops.
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

tomoforegon

Post by tomoforegon » July 19th, 2010, 11:15 am

Great pictures there! And you're right that one can't capture the splendor of this trail with photographs. That warbler picture is wonderful. And you captured TWO butterflies in one shot! Pale Swallowtail [Papilio eurymedon] and Lorquin's Admiral [Limenitis lorquini]. There's a sunny spot just beyond "The Potholes" where you can photograph butterflies in small flocks...California Tortoiseshell's appear here in August. If you stay still they'll land on your arm. Really cool.

--Tom

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » July 19th, 2010, 11:37 am

Cool osprey nest photo! Looked like a great day for a hike :)