Saddle Mountain - 6/26/10

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
justpeachy

Saddle Mountain - 6/26/10

Post by justpeachy » June 30th, 2010, 7:54 pm

Greg and I spent last weekend at the coast. We lucked out and had pretty great weather all weekend, hooray! On Saturday we hiked Saddle Mountain.

When we arrived at the trailhead around 10:30, the lot was almost full and we would indeed see a lot of other hikers. We checked out the side trail and the viewpoint that you reach just a quarter mile from the trailhead. Uh.....we have a long long ways to climb!

Leaving the viewpoint, we got stuck behind a huge slow-moving extended family. The young and fit were far ahead and the ones dealing with the little children were far behind and everyone else was scattered in-between. Not wanting to get stuck behind/amongst them, we picked up the pace to pass them all. The ones in front, though, were faster than I thought they'd be and once we were ahead of them we had to march steadily for awhile to put some distance between us. Whew, that wore me out fast!

As we climbed up and up and up, we had nice views to the south.

And then we got a view of the final push to the top. Oh dear.

When we finally got to the summit, our efforts were rewarded with nice views.

Mt. Rainier, Mt. St. Helens, and Mt. Adams:

Mt. Hood

Astoria

And of course the wildflowers were fabulous. So many different kinds dotting the vivid green meadows and scattered around the rock sections too. And not just at the top either. There were plenty growing along the trail as well.

In addition to the large family we saw, there were quite a few other people on this hike. The skies clear up and sun-starved Oregonians come out of the woodwork! This was a pretty tough hike for me, but well worth it on this gorgeous June day!

meana39

Re: Saddle Mountain - 6/26/10

Post by meana39 » June 30th, 2010, 8:55 pm

Your photos are always stunning! Beautiful as always, I haven't been on this hike in over 20 years....have to put in on the list again!
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. ~John Muir

greglief

Post by greglief » June 30th, 2010, 9:12 pm

Here are several additional photos from our trek. I was in a wide-angle state of mind and eschewed the macro lens for most of the day. In hindsight, I should have taken a lot more macros... Saddle Mountain is a botanical wonderland! I guess I'll just have to make a return trip.

Looking beyond the wall of wildflowers to Mount Saint Helens and Mount Adams:

Look closely... those tiny white specks are hikers trudging up to (or already enjoying) the summit:

The view from the saddle down to our original viewpoint:

One of the many paintbrush along the trail:

Greg Lief
OregonWildflowers.org - locations, trip reports, user forum, et cetera
Greg's Back

romann

Post by romann » June 30th, 2010, 10:24 pm

Great report and pictures! I all but given up to learn the flower names.

This hike officially has only 1,600 feet of elevation gain (almost like Angel's Rest) but it really feels more like 2,000-2,200 feet, maybe the official measure doesn't count what you lose (and regain) on the "saddle"? Or maybe the final climb makes it feel that way...

Chirripo_Z

Post by Chirripo_Z » July 1st, 2010, 10:49 am

Beautiful & stunning photos. Great report! May have to go to Saddle instead of Dog this weekend to see some of that. :)

roadtripmom

Post by roadtripmom » July 1st, 2010, 10:51 pm

Wow, your pics are gorgeous ! Great trip report. This is one I haven't done, but its on my list.
Filling my bucket, one hike at a time.
Amanda

greglief

Post by greglief » July 2nd, 2010, 7:14 am

Chirripo_Z wrote:Beautiful & stunning photos. Great report! May have to go to Saddle instead of Dog this weekend to see some of that. :)
I went to Dog Mountain last Thursday (two days before our visit to Saddle Mountain) so I can give you a firsthand comparison. Simply put: If you want to see wildflowers in bloom, go to Saddle Mountain instead of Dog Mountain. But if you go this weekend, try to get there as early as possible... expect nearly as many people as you would see @ Dog on a typical weekend.
Greg Lief
OregonWildflowers.org - locations, trip reports, user forum, et cetera
Greg's Back