Punch Bowl Falls - 5/23/10

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
justpeachy

Punch Bowl Falls - 5/23/10

Post by justpeachy » June 2nd, 2010, 7:18 am

Since Mother Nature decided not to cooperate with the weather last weekend, I decided to utilize the overcast skies and recent downpours for some waterfall photography. Since that log fell, I've only been in the fall, not the spring, so I thought this was a good chance to go.

First I stopped at Oneonta Creek to check out the tunnel sans people.

I also grabbed a shot of the creek, framed all around by lush green vegetation.

Over at Eagle Creek I parked at the "far away lot" (as I call it), walked up the road, and hit the trail. There were more than two dozen cars altogether and not a soul in sight, which goes to show how easy it can be for morons to break into cars there.

Not long after I started out on the trail, the downpour began and continued through most of my hike, with only brief respites. My rain gear needs to be re-waterproofed, so I was soaked pretty quick. I tried to ignore my soaked state, though, and just enjoy the lovely green of the world. I do so LOVE the green of spring around here!

Saw some wildflowers along the way, including one patch of lupine....

...and lots of rosy plectritis.

Finally, Punch Bowl Falls. A family was leaving right as I arrived and then I had the place to myself for the entire 30 minutes I was there. Shocking!

I was prepared to wade out into the creek if necessary, knowing the water would be high. But someone has built a stepping stone path out to the middle of the creek. How convenient! It was a little tricky balancing on the precarious rocks while I was taking pictures. It didn't help that it was raining hard and my precarious perch made it difficult to keep the camera and lens dry.

It looks A LOT different than when I photographed it in the autumn.

On the way back I stopped to check out Metlako. This one is getting more difficult to photograph because of that Big Leaf Maple that keeps getting bigger. I was straddling the fence and my tripod was totally on the other side of the fence to get this shot.

It poured down rain almost the entire hike back, so I was pretty soaked by the time I got back to the car. I passed dozens of people hiking in as I was hiking out. The popularity of this trail - even on a rainy day! - never ceases to amaze me.

(By the way, I've seen it written as Punch Bowl Falls and Punchbowl Falls. Which is correct?)

chameleon

Re: Punch Bowl Falls - 5/23/10

Post by chameleon » June 2nd, 2010, 7:41 pm

Beautiful pics Cheryl! This is a great time of year for photography, huh?!

jley

Post by jley » June 2nd, 2010, 8:10 pm

I vote for Punchbowl... but I guess either works.
Wow, they really went all-out on that tunnel. I'd seen them working on it, but never saw the finished project. I'll have to go check that out!.. thanks for the pics.

CuriousGorgeGuide

Post by CuriousGorgeGuide » June 3rd, 2010, 1:33 pm

Just thought I'd toss this log onto the fire. It's the back cover artwork (painting) from Styx's 1973 second album. The album is on display inside Hood River's Dog River Coffee shop, paired with the same poster from Eagle Creek.
Attachments
Styx II.jpg
Punchbowl Falls circa 1973
Styx II.jpg (42.49 KiB) Viewed 4795 times

Sore Feet

Post by Sore Feet » June 3rd, 2010, 5:47 pm

justpeachy wrote:(By the way, I've seen it written as Punch Bowl Falls and Punchbowl Falls. Which is correct?)
Punch Bowl Falls is correct for the falls on Eagle Creek
Punchbowl Falls is correct for the falls on the WF Hood River.

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » June 4th, 2010, 1:07 am

Beautiful shots
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.