Trails @ Woods Memorial Natural Area...???

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
rangersven

Trails @ Woods Memorial Natural Area...???

Post by rangersven » February 1st, 2010, 2:22 pm

Greetings, PDX Hikers...!!!

My new place in PDX is near this park, anyone hike in the area...??? What do you think of it...???

Happy Trails,

RS
"The Truth is Outside!"

BaileyBoy

Re: Trails @ Woods Memorial Natural Area...???

Post by BaileyBoy » February 2nd, 2010, 10:40 pm

I live near the park but it's really a small park - around 30 acres - and has a number of trails connecting to a gated road which runs through the park. I haven't been over there for a couple of years but I'd imagine it would be a little wet and muddy since it's a ravine area. Here's a link to some information and a map:

http://www.portlandonline.com/parks/fin ... ertyID=866

If you'd like to do a bit more distance and have more of a wilderness experience check out the Terwilliger Trail which takes you up to Council Crest and if you desire all the way over to the zoo and into Hoyt Arboretum. It's one of my favorite winter hikes. Check the Field Guide for directions and locations, it's very well done and accurate.

Skip

anna in boots

Post by anna in boots » February 2nd, 2010, 10:47 pm

BaileyBoy wrote: Terwilliger Trail which takes you up to Council Crest and if you desire all the way over to the zoo and into Hoyt Arboretum
...and from there all the way into and across the entire Forest Park, if you so desire--you know, just in case you need an extra 30 miles or so to tack onto your stroll.

anna in boots
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

raven

Post by raven » February 2nd, 2010, 11:05 pm

Also check out Tryon Creek State Park. Many miles of trails, and part of the east side is not trailed and lends itself to exploration by bushwhack.

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » February 3rd, 2010, 7:27 am

We live very close to Woods Mem. park and we think it's a fun little park, super fun when it snows!

rangersven

Post by rangersven » February 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am

THX for all your replies...!!! I plan on hiking Tryon and the Council Crest hike, too. I will be living two blocks from Woods, so that is really nice. Plan on checking out Marshall Park, too.

I will be working 12-hr shifts (probably on nights) and have a good schedule that will allow me to enjoy mid-week hikes and a 3-day weekend every other week. I like to stay close-by on my 1st day off and hike after I get 4 or 5 hours sleep...

I did enjoy the trip guides on Tryon, Marquam, and Marshall parks here...!!!

Happy Trails,

RS
"The Truth is Outside!"

raven

Post by raven » February 3rd, 2010, 12:29 pm

Across from the 18th Drive entrance to Marshall Park is a street ending in what seems to be a driveway to a house on the side of a large open space. The apparent driveway and the open space are public. Sadly there is no trail connection to Marshall Park.

A trail starting from Marshall Park connects to an unofficial -- perhaps now official -- route that follows Tryon Creek to the intersection of Boones Ferry Road and Arnold Street. From there a short walk south on Boones Ferry is an entrance to the Tryon Creek trail system.

Enjoy exploring the neighborhood.