Eagle Creek Look-See (+ Metlako Viewpoint Collapse?)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Thomas M

Eagle Creek Look-See (+ Metlako Viewpoint Collapse?)

Post by Thomas M » December 22nd, 2016, 11:01 am

I've just reviewed a few hike reports from earlier this week regarding some challenging hiking conditions due to the snow and ice. Very beautiful with some risk though, as we all know.

I was out at Eagle Creek yesterday, December 21, first day of winter. There was a mild thaw in the air as the temp was just above freezing. I did get stuck in the big parking lot without my chains or studded snows !! I had to chip ice with my lug wrench to get myself out of there and down the park road to a better spot. 4 wheelers probably have no such issues. I'm putting my snows on this afternoon !!!

Within a few yards, just at that first little bridge, I thought that this was too risky to continue, especially without a helmet, although I don't know what good that would do if a 50 pound of ice or big rock hit me in the head. Well, I continued on a ways and things just got worse. Lot of fallen rock and large ice chunks. It was still cold and even maybe below freezing at that point in the morning. However, it would warm up and I would have to come back that way. Too much rock-fall and big ice for me. I did have my spikes on.
No matter. I turned around. On the way back I passed a couple of guys with a small child. No special foot gear on any of them. It this is kind of judgement that makes me wonder why more people aren't killed. I think some folks just don't understand the risks or the consequences. That's life !!

Safe hiking, happy trails and a Merry Christmas !!
Thomas

PS: I went from Eagle Creek to Herman Creek trail. There I met a fellow by the name of Richard. I had a pleasant time talking with you, Richard. May we meet again.
Last edited by Thomas M on December 22nd, 2016, 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adamschneider

Re: Eagle Creek Look-See

Post by adamschneider » December 22nd, 2016, 11:54 am

If I go, I'll wear my bike helmet.

BigBear

Post by BigBear » December 22nd, 2016, 12:58 pm

I don't believe a bike helmet would do much more than a good head of hair if a 50 lb icicle fell on you. I don't know if the roof of your SUV would do much to protect you in such a situation.

I hiked Eagle Creek back in 1988 or 1989 during one of those wintry days and watched a big icicle fall across the canyon. My friend and I were quite surprised to see how much topsoil and vegetation slid with the chunk of ice. We had little advantage over a tiny ant if the ice above us had fell as we walked under it.

I appreciate the lovely winter pictures that were shared on this site earlier this week, especially from the relative safety of my computer.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » December 22nd, 2016, 1:13 pm

BigBear wrote:I don't believe a bike helmet would do much more than a good head of hair if a 50 lb icicle fell on you. I don't know if the roof of your SUV would do much to protect you in such a situation.
Not a 50 lb. icicle, but it'd probably help with the <10 lb. ones.

Hagbard Celine

Post by Hagbard Celine » December 22nd, 2016, 4:10 pm

I was there on Monday and went in a mile to the first climb up the exposed section and a chunk fell about 200 feet in front of me that sounded like cannon shot.... I turned back. I also toyed with the idea of bike helmet but it has too many holes. :mrgreen:
“I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome while trying to succeed.”
― Booker T. Washington

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » December 27th, 2016, 1:53 pm

Thomas, did you happen to take the spur trail to the Metlako Falls overlook? Apparently, the entire overlook slipped into the canyon sometime over the past week or so. Karl Peterson posted some photos of an ominous crack in the forest floor above the overlook about a month ago, and now it appears to have calved off entirely. You can get a rough idea at the 2:50 mark in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3zr0lpT5yU&t=170s

Look closely when the video pans left and you can see what appears to be the first one or two posts from the railing -- the rest seems to have gone over the side. There are photos from as recently at December 17, so this happened sometime since.

Tough to see this happen to a favorite spot, but awesome to see the forces of nature at work in our short time on the planet, too.

Tom

BigBear

Re: Eagle Creek Look-See (+ Metlako Viewpoint Collapse?)

Post by BigBear » December 28th, 2016, 12:57 pm

Metlako Falls Viewpoint collapse

Wow, when I think that I have stood on that very spot and leaned out over the railing for a picture of the falls perhaps 50 times in my life, and now it's laying at the bottom of the canyon. There was a recent winter post from that viewpoint - perhaps the last picture taken form that location. Save your pictures, they just became historic.

Combined with the Tish Creek Bridge damage (remind me, what were my trailhead fees supposed to pay for?), Eagle Creek is quickly becoming a less desirable destination. Until last winter, it was just the droves of late arrivals that made negotiating the cables at the end of a long walk a challenge.

Splintercat

Re: Eagle Creek Look-See (+ Metlako Viewpoint Collapse?)

Post by Splintercat » December 29th, 2016, 9:08 pm

Great photos of the Metlako Viewpoint collapse on this new thread.

Tom