Hardy Ridge Trail at Beacon Rock State Park

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Luv2Kayak

Hardy Ridge Trail at Beacon Rock State Park

Post by Luv2Kayak » June 2nd, 2009, 11:42 pm

Hi, all! Here's a press release about the dedication of the newly completed Hardy Ridge Trail! :-)

State Parks, Washington Trails Association dedicate backcountry trail at Beacon Rock State Park

OLYMPIA – June 2, 2009 – The Washington Trails Association and The Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission invite the public to celebrate the completion of the Hardy Ridge Trail at Beacon Rock State Park, on National Trails Day Saturday.

A dedication ceremony is scheduled for 4 p.m. June 6, featuring speeches and volunteer recognition as the trail is officially opened. WTA has registered volunteers for a work party early in the day of the event.

The trail to be opened June 6 was paid for by grant funds to Washington State Parks. Several volunteer groups, led by WTA, have been working together for about four years on the project that includes new trail routes as well as a trailhead comfort station and a back-country trail bridge for use by equestrians, mountain bikers and hikers. In 2006, WTA crews began construction of a connector trail linking pre-existing trails via a traverse across Hardy Ridge, now a second additional new trail segment will tie the new Hardy Ridge Loop to the Hardy Creek Trail, creating two new loop hikes in Beacon Rock’s backcountry trail system.

The backcountry bridge was constructed by Department of Natural Resources crews and Manufacturing & Design, LLC, of Ridgefield. Trail and bridge construction costs to date are approximately $290,000, which includes a $192,000 from the Pierce Trust and approximately $98,000 in grants through the Recreation Conservation Office.

Beacon Rock State Park is a 5,100-acre year-round camping park with 9,500 feet of freshwater shoreline on the Columbia River. Explorers Lewis and Clark named Beacon Rock on their expedition to the Pacific Ocean in 1805. It was near the site that they first measured tidal influences from the ocean on the Columbia River. The park is popular for rock climbing, hiking and wildlife watching and picnicking.

National Trails Day is organized every year by the American Hiking Society, with more than 1,000
locally organized events in 50 states. The Washington Trails Association is an organization that protects hiking trails and wild lands, volunteers to maintain trails and promotes hiking as a healthy recreation activity.

The Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission thanks the public for supporting state parks. Donations made to State Parks through the vehicle license tab renewal program starting with September 2009 renewals will keep state parks open in the two year budget cycle beginning July 1, 2009, provided adequate revenues are collected. The Commission manages a diverse system of more than 100 state parks and recreation programs, including long-distance trails, boating safety and winter recreation. The 96-year-old park system will celebrate its 100th anniversary in 2013.

beag

Re: Hardy Ridge Trail at Beacon Rock State Park

Post by beag » June 4th, 2009, 8:14 am

Luv to. Is the new Bridge over Hardy Creek and the Hardy Creek connector trail to the Ridge connector trail open. It will be nice to do a Hardy Ridge, HardyCreek, Hardy Falls hike.

beag

Post by beag » June 7th, 2009, 6:32 pm

I walked the new Hardy Creek trail over the new Bridge yesterday. The Bridge is about 300 yards upriver from where Don's cut off trail from Hamilton meets the road. A lot of work put into the trail and a lot more to improve it. It is good for hiking right now just a bit rough in parts. The guy who laid it out must have been a sadist judging by the amount of stumps that had to be removed.It's possible to do numerous loops now with the completion of this trail and the connector trail. You can do a good loop now taking in Hardy Ridge and Hamilton. Also good bike and hike options. I walked my bike up three miles , hiked a few miles and then free wheeled back to the Equestrian trailhead.

klossner

Post by klossner » June 8th, 2009, 6:41 pm

Can anyone point me to a map showing the old and new trails?

beag

Post by beag » June 8th, 2009, 8:42 pm

The most up to date map is on display at the kiosk at the Equestrian trailhead. It may be at the Hamilton trailhead also. That map covers the official trails but there are several old roads that tie in with the trails for hikers, bikers and horses.The Equestrian trail head is one mile up Keufler road which starts at the Ranger station.

Ryan Ojerio

Post by Ryan Ojerio » June 9th, 2009, 11:13 am

ha ha! :D here are some pics of stump removal! Initial layout was done years ago by park staff with input from WTA staff and volunteers. As we brushed out the corridor (on the multi-use section this year), we've honed in the trail alignment in our best effort to avoid cutting Doug-firs and maintain a sustainable grade. Yet there are many, many vine maple and alder stumps that will need to go in order to meet width requirements for a multi-use trail.

We have a youth volunteer vacation working in the park in July and the Gifford Pinchot Urban Youth Summer Employment Program will be working there a couple days in August. I've found that teens in particular like to remove stumps for some reason...

Also, some WTA volunteers are starting a regular "Thursday Crew" for retirees or people with weekdays free. I'll post dates when we get them arranged with the crew leader.

-Ryan
Attachments
4-24-09 sm (4).JPG
4-24-09 sm (16).JPG
n1167733543_111230_2163.jpg
Washington Trails Association
Southwest Washington Regional Manager
[email protected]
(360) 722-2657

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » June 9th, 2009, 8:09 pm

Thanks to all you folks who have worked so hard to put in the new bridge and the new trail! That is an impressive job you have done. Here's an updated map of the area showing Don's Trail and the new connector trail:

Also, a few pics of the new bridge taken on Saturday afternoon:

- don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

BaileyBoy

Post by BaileyBoy » June 9th, 2009, 9:02 pm

Ryan, I'd like to help on some of your projects but need to bring my dog alone - probably not doable I'd guess??
If not doable with a group I could do some individual work that you might need done.

And as usual Don has posted an excellent map, what computer skills to go along with his off trail skills.

skip

beag

Post by beag » June 10th, 2009, 8:10 am

Don, great to run in to you and Ardith up there on Saturday. Excellent map contains all the possible loops up there now. One additional loop would be to continue on road west of Hardy Ridge to source of Hardy Creek and then return South, along the ridge to Saddle on Hamilton.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » June 10th, 2009, 2:06 pm

beag wrote:Don, great to run in to you and Ardith up there on Saturday. Excellent map contains all the possible loops up there now. One additional loop would be to continue on road west of Hardy Ridge to source of Hardy Creek and then return South, along the ridge to Saddle on Hamilton.
Great to run into you too and glad we had a chance to chat awhile. What are the odds!? Agreed, to continue hiking on the road would make another fine loop - here is an extension to the north of the first map I posted that has more info.

"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller