Autumn on Eagle Creek - Oct. 23

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
RobinB

Autumn on Eagle Creek - Oct. 23

Post by RobinB » October 25th, 2015, 6:24 pm

Opening picture: Fall at Tunnel Falls.

My buddy had an out of town guest this week, so we decided to go on the usual out of town guest hike: Eagle Creek to Tunnel Falls. It's funny: I think I've been maybe a half dozen times in the last year, every time with someone visiting.

This one will be mostly pictures, as I realize almost everyone's done this hike. But the fall colors were so pleasant that I wanted to share.

When we got to the trailhead around noon, it was crowded with two buses full of school kids with clipboards, watching the salmon spawn. We joined them for a bit.

Then it was up to Punchbowl. The water was so low that we could almost walk all the way across the creek without getting our feet wet. Weird. I'd never seen it like that.

From punchbowl, we hightailed it to Low Bridge, where we stopped for bánh mì and cheese puffs - a highly underrated combination.

After the bridge, the autumn colors really started to pop. I love this section of trail.

Potholes!

Tunnel Falls was, as ever, just gorgeous. One picture never seems enough...

...and even panoramas don't quite seem to get it.

Given our late start, we didn't have a lot of time to lollygag, but it was still wonderful to see our friend seeing it for the first time.

On the way back, the light had shifted, bathing the golden trees in golden light.

Loowit Falls.

Almost home.

Hagbard Celine

Re: Autumn on Eagle Creek - Oct. 23

Post by Hagbard Celine » October 29th, 2015, 7:33 am

Thanks for sharing haven't been there for fall colors yet so it's nice to see some representation. Next time you take out of town friends there (to make them extremely jealous of where we live :mrgreen: ) try and take the extra ten or fifteen minutes it takes to go from Tunnel Falls to Twister or Crossover Falls which in my opinion is even better then Tunnel. Most of the guidebooks don't even mention it for some reason but it is well worth the extra time.
“I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome while trying to succeed.”
― Booker T. Washington

bookem

Re: Autumn on Eagle Creek - Oct. 23

Post by bookem » November 7th, 2015, 10:58 am

Beautiful pics. I was at Eagle Creek two days after you checking out the salmon and the fall colors; I invited my dad along since he'd never visited EC before. We ended up hiking a little over a mile up the canyon, and it's still as gorgeous as ever in spite of the stream running low. I'm curious how much the Halloween monsoon and the subsequent rains have raised the water levels.