Summer on Eagle Creek - Jan. 25, 2015

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
RobinB

Summer on Eagle Creek - Jan. 25, 2015

Post by RobinB » January 26th, 2015, 2:59 pm

So I feel a little silly posting a TR about such a common hike, but my cousin's in town, and doing the hike with him yesterday let me see it through the eyes of someone seeing it for the first time. Now I'm smitten with it all over again, like I was the first time I did it in highschool. Plus, the conditions up there are just perfect - no ice, only a little mud on the trail... basically June, but without the crowds of Punchbowl Jumpers.

See? And yes, I did have to wade in a little to get this picture. It was unpleasant.

My cousin got in from Texas around 9:30 Sunday morning. We immediately jostled him into the car and drove to the crowded trailhead, where hundreds of cars were backed up all the way to the hatchery. Between the car and Punchbowl, we must have passed several dozen people.

The fog provided an illusion of solitude, though.

And the light did a good job of obscuring the Disneyland-sized crowds.

After Punchbowl, the crowd thinned considerably, and after High Bridge we nearly had the place to ourselves.

Loowit Falls, out of the fray.

Looking down from High Bridge.

Tons of water, from 4.5 Mile Bridge (does this have a better name?).

I'd been a little worried about crossing Wy'east Creek, but it turned out to be really easy - I guess that's the upside of there being essentially no snow on the Benson Plateau. I also saw, for the first time, Wy'east Falls - every other time I've been there, it's been obscured by foliage. There was also a well-worn, if a little scrambly use trail up to the (wet) base of the falls. So cool! My camera (and I) got soaked.

Wy'east Creek and Falls, from afar.

Wy'east Falls, up close and personal. Notice the massive amount of water on the lens.

Then it was just the pleasant stroll from Wy'east Camp to Twister Falls for some lunch.

The Potholes.

Passing under Tunnel Falls.

And looking back.

And on to Vertigo Mile.

Twister Falls.

We had a pleasant lunch sitting on the bank of Eagle Creek, then headed back down the now increasingly crowded trail. Back at 4.5 Mile Bridge, we ran into a lovely couple that had come up via Ruckel Ridge, stayed the night on the Benson Plateau, headed down the Eagle-Benson Trail, and was now headed back to their car. Apparently there's very little snow left up on the Plateau. I'm sort of conflicted there: I'm glad to have so many winter hiking options, but I worry about what this means for the summer.

Anyway, we stopped at Punchbowl on the way back, where we waded (!) into the very, very cold water. Totally worth it.

Looking down the lower falls. Does it have a name?

That view of Punchbowl you've seen a thousand times... including twice in this report.

miah66

Re: Summer on Eagle Creek - Jan. 25, 2015

Post by miah66 » January 26th, 2015, 3:28 pm

RobinB wrote:
Anyway, we stopped at Punchbowl on the way back, where we waded (!) into the very, very cold water. Totally worth it.

Looking down the lower falls. Does it have a name?
:shock: :shock:
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

drm

Post by drm » January 27th, 2015, 7:14 am

I thought the second bridge was called Low Bridge.

raftingdog

Post by raftingdog » January 27th, 2015, 7:51 am

great pics .. did you wade barefoot? our wonderful gorge is so popular even in winter

Peder

Post by Peder » January 27th, 2015, 8:17 am

RobinB wrote:So I feel a little silly posting a TR about such a common hike, but my cousin's in town, and doing the hike with him yesterday let me see it through the eyes of someone seeing it for the first time. Now I'm smitten with it all over again, like I was the first time I did it in highschool.
Yes, Eagle Creek is really a cool hike. I was there Friday morning with my son and we did not meet any people till we were on our way back. Just as we reached the car, it started to drizzle!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Thomas M

Post by Thomas M » January 27th, 2015, 8:54 am

Psychedelic colors !!!!

Great saturation !!!

Yes, the Gorge is really something for which to be grateful !!!

RobinB

Post by RobinB » January 28th, 2015, 11:35 am

Thanks, everyone!
drm wrote:I thought the second bridge was called Low Bridge.
Oh interesting. I think my Green Trails map says 4.5 Mile, but that's not necessarily proof of anything.
raftingdog wrote:did you wade barefoot?
We did! The rocks are pretty smooth, and I used a pole to stabilize. I maybe should have also said that, by "wading," I meant, "Got up to our knees and shrieked."

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » January 28th, 2015, 12:44 pm

:) Beautiful photos! What's nice about the great Pacific Northwest, no matter how many times you visit a commonly visited place, you can always find something new and exciting! Thanks for sharing.

OneMoreMile

Post by OneMoreMile » January 29th, 2015, 6:24 am

My wife and I were up there that same day. It was our first time and it was so beautiful. It was crowded (we counted 70 hikers on our way to Tunnel Falls and 320 on our way back). Probably 90% of the crowd was between Punchbowl and the trail head. Despite that, it was a great hike and we'd love to check it out again.

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » January 29th, 2015, 11:33 am

As many times as I do that hike I still love it. It's my go to hike for a day when I want an easy grade.
Woodswalker