Ruckel Spur-Ruckel Ridge-Benson-Benson Bluffs 4/12/14

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
acorn woodpecker

Ruckel Spur-Ruckel Ridge-Benson-Benson Bluffs 4/12/14

Post by acorn woodpecker » April 13th, 2014, 11:01 pm

Didn't have all day so I got an early start and tried a new way up to the Benson Plateau. The ridges up to the Benson in Eagle Creek drainage between Ruckel Ridge and the ridge the Eagle-Benson Cutoff Trail ascends have been on my radar as of late, particularly after Pablo's recent report. My sites were set upon a ridge that makes up the north side of Sorenson Creek and connects to Ruckel Ridge. This spur ridge also serves as the wilderness boundary. There purported to be an old trail ascending it, but I could find no trace of one. The only semblances of a trail I came across were, of course, intermittent deer trails.

Left the Eagle Creek parking lot at 7am and approached the ridge spur shortly before the first bridge (over Sorenson Creek) roughly two miles from the trail head. Left the trail and negotiated a cliff band by locating a shallow gully to a less sheer cliff face laden with glacier lily. I ascended right of center in photo.

The characteristics that made this ridge special were the profusion of oaks and open points along the majority of it. This spur has a distinction of facing southwest and receiving the maximum amount of sun possible. As a result, usually common belts of Doug fir forest were atypical and short-lived here as oak persisted until immediately below Ruckel Ridge at around 2600'. Additionally, the air was full of bird life: winter wrens, flickers, pileated woodpeckers, nuthatches, thrushes, and more. Typical scenes included:

Sorenson Ridge, which Pablo ascended the weekend prior, to the immediate south.

The morning sun casting along the valley and the wildfire-burned forested notch of Wauna Point.

Another appealing aspect of this ridge was how many scrambly portions there were. There were many points where the basalt spine intermingled with the copious Western White Oaks. As one might guess, there was fledgling poison oak abound.

First of several hanging meadows and clearings.

Note how looking to the north at all the minor spur ridges adjoining Ruckel Ridge have the same oak bands and clearings at the same elevation.

Water droplets and Chocolate Lillies.

More ridge spine.

The rare Doug Fir band, where there were Calypso Orchids in bloom.

Scrambly!

The ridges from fore to rear are Sorenson, Tish (which Pablo ascended the same day I was out) and an unnamed one I have eyes set on that can potentially be gained right at High Bridge.

Views of Eagle Creek drainage and Waucoma Ridge really opened up, but the time of day and the clouds did not offer very good vista pictures.

There is a gendarme along the ridge one must negotiate by trying to do a steep loose traverse around either side or find your way up and over it.

I chose the latter, by finding an exposed semi-forgiving seam. This was the crux of the route.

Which led to this view!

Looking back down the ridge spur at the vistas near its confluence with Ruckel Ridge.

Right before the confluence.

After how dramatic the spur ridge was, I was ambivalent about Ruckel Ridge. Fortunately, I joined Ruckel a mere quarter mile or so before the Catwalk!

Unfortunately, the fun is over before it begins and viewless forest on what is essentially a steep trail ensues. Except for the ONLY view on the route (Tanner was enshrouded) and staying along the ridge spine proper as long as possible.

One last pull and the Benson Platter was attained! No trace of snow anywhere around Hunters Camp!

It was 10am by now and I was ready for lunch. I still had 3 hours so rather than take the Ruckel Creek trail, I opted for taking the ridge proper along the Benson Bluffs north of Ruckel Creek. Always a good idea! Magnificent views and interesting terrain.

Take the 20 foot rock pinnacle, for instance.

Of course I'm going to climb it!

At the top of Upper Benson Bluff there is a most magnificent view of the Eagle Creek drainage, Indian Mt., Tanner, Waucoma Ridge, and Hood. Unfortunately, Hood was washed out but everything else showed up. Note Ruckel, Sorenson, Tish, and unnamed "High Bridge-Benson" ridges from front to back.

Note the oaks. This is the highest elevation I've seen oaks this far west in the Gorge (about 3200'). That southwest exposure sure allows them to creep up pretty high in altitude.

Then the sharp drop to the saddle before the climb to Middle Benson Bluff commences.

Not without views of the Table Mt. complex.

And some pretty steep down climbing.

And cool rock pinnacles to hopscotch on.

The high volcanoes were mostly enshrouded in clouds and any photos I took of them were too washed out to bother with. However, the Gorge was quite visible.

Plus, the features along the bluffs.

I lied, one good photo of Hood turned out when the clouds finally lifted.

Tired of flowers? Too bad! More glacier lilies.

Phlox.

Columbia Kittentails!

And currant with a chipmunk posing.

The high point along the Lower Benson Bluff.

Awesome views from here.

From here, the drop down to Ruckel Creek trail commences steeply, which I intersected at 2000'. I ho-hummed down the switchbacks and caught the ridge spine whenever the trail significantly detoured from it. This is the reason why.

Above the indian pits area. This was a sketchy downclimb on bad rock (to the right in photo) followed by a chimney maneuver (in notch in right center of photo). The scariest part of the day. Not recommended.

Looking back at the notch I chimneyed down from the trail just above the indian pits.

This was also the only point the entire day I saw anyone. Just two people and a dog. I mostly jogged the next 800' to make up time for taking the ridge rather than the trail so much. Dunked my head in Ruckel Creek and returned to the car at the insane Eagle Creek parking lot at 12:45.

T'was a wonderful day in the woods on a very scenic ridge loop.

Rough stats (no GPS, as always): 10 miles, 4250 ft. EG

pablo

Re: Ruckel Spur-Ruckel Ridge-Benson-Benson Bluffs 4/12/14

Post by pablo » April 14th, 2014, 5:53 am

Ben,

A most excellent adventure! And a great set of photos and narrative to describe your day. Another ridge to my list and I thought I was done there.

Thx,

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » April 14th, 2014, 1:10 pm

Hey Ben, that looks like a really nice little ridge you found. Sorry I couldn't get out there with you!

Your descent of the bluffs is hilariously similar to my ascent last year, like photo for photo. For instance:
acorn woodpecker wrote: Of course I'm going to climb it!
Bosterson wrote: Like you didn't see this coming. Some of the best rock I've come across in the Gorge.

That was your first time doing the lower portion of the route, right? (Like the little catwalk with the cliff dropping down towards the river, those endless viewpoints towards the rocky slope down to the cliff above the bottom of the Ruckel Creek trail, etc.) Where did the name "Benson Bluffs" come from - has it always been called that? Benson Bluffs is a way better name than "North Ruckel Creek Ridge," what a confusing mouthful that is... :D
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Peder

Post by Peder » April 14th, 2014, 10:33 pm

That is a lovely ridge Ben! I also have an eye on the "High Bridge-Benson" ridge, though I had been looking at the more western spur that starts well before the High Bridge. The lower part of the Benson Bluffs also looks interesting, what a great descent route you chose.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

pablo

Post by pablo » April 15th, 2014, 8:25 am

Bosterson wrote:[...] Where did the name "Benson Bluffs" come from - has it always been called that? Benson Bluffs is a way better name than "North Ruckel Creek Ridge," what a confusing mouthful that is... :D
It is a good name, credit goes to Splintercat.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

mandrake

Post by mandrake » April 15th, 2014, 8:34 am