No views at Saddle Mountain - 6/16/2013

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
justpeachy

No views at Saddle Mountain - 6/16/2013

Post by justpeachy » June 19th, 2013, 6:34 pm

The options for Sunday were either Ramona Falls or Saddle Mountain. Greg REALLY wanted to do Saddle Mountain, so headed east, although it turned out to be way better weather for creeks and waterfalls than for mountaintop views, dang it. :(

Since we were both spending the evening with our fathers we got an early start and were out the door by 7:15. When we got to the trailhead at 8:45 there were 11 cars there. (And boy was I glad to see that parking lot. The curvy access road between Highway 26 and the trailhead made me so carsick that I almost threw up. It was even worse on the way out that afternoon.)

The forest is incredibly green and lush. The Coast Range gets LOTS AND LOTS of rain.

And then began a parade of wildflowers which we followed all the way to the summit.

Columbine:

The first of MANY rosy plectritis (which sounds like a disease, not a wildflower! :D ):

Paintbrush:

Goatsbeard:

False lily of the valley:

Catchfly Chickweed:

Checkermallow:

Monkey flower:

Oregon iris:

Fairy lanterns:

Phlox:

MORE rosy plectritis:

The further up we went, the closer we got to the clouds.

We occasionally got views of the forest below us, which would have been a nice scene if it hadn't been marred by ugly clearcuts. :(

That last steep push to the summit is grueling!

Finally we reached the large flat summit area where the old lookout used to be. One of the more unusual-looking lookouts, if you ask me.

Of course the clouds had thinned enough to allow us views of all the clearcuts, old and new, but they hadn't dissipated enough to afford views of the various Cascade peaks. Drat!!

After a snack break we turned and headed back down around noon. We passed LOTS of hikers heading up as we were heading down, and were very glad we had gotten an early start!

I was pretty disappointed about the lack of views, but the wildflowers were awfully nice. We had perfect timing for the blooms.

jeffstatt

Re: No views at Saddle Mountain - 6/16/2013

Post by jeffstatt » June 20th, 2013, 6:17 am

Very nice! Too bad you get car sick...that's got to be a rough side effect to your hiking adventures! Thanks for sharing the picture of the lookout. I hadn't see that one before. I'm starting to take an interest in the flora so thanks for the great pics of the columbine, Oregon Iris and the rest. I agree about the name "rosy plectritis". I can see the bottle of skin cream now: "works on psoriasis, eczema, and plectritis".

I love the feeling of going up a mountain alone early in the morning and realizing I've beat the crowds as I come back down.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » June 20th, 2013, 7:41 am

jeffstatt wrote:Too bad you get car sick...that's got to be a rough side effect to your hiking adventures!
I have always suffered from carsickness but it seems to be getting worse as I get older. Stop-and-go traffic and curvy roads are the worst. If I'm driving (which I wasn't on Sunday) it's usually not too bad, but even them I can sometimes make myself carsick!

I've read about a number of different remedies over the years. One that I haven't tried requires some advance planning. You take Dramamine the night before and since you're going to bed anyway the drowsiness factor isn't an issue. The next day you're all rested but the Dramamine is still in your system and still working it's magic.

Another one that I HAVE tried is to put a cotton ball in one ear. If you're right-handed you put it in your left ear, and vice versa. I have tried this one a few times (when I remember to stock my car with cotton balls) and although I'm not ready to declare it a surefire method, I will say that I have never gotten carsick when I've been using the cotton balls. :D

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » June 20th, 2013, 8:12 am

Chickweed, not catchfly. ;)

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » June 20th, 2013, 8:51 am

justpeachy wrote:
jeffstatt wrote:Too bad you get car sick...that's got to be a rough side effect to your hiking adventures!
I have always suffered from carsickness but it seems to be getting worse as I get older. Stop-and-go traffic and curvy roads are the worst. If I'm driving (which I wasn't on Sunday) it's usually not too bad, but even them I can sometimes make myself carsick!

I've read about a number of different remedies over the years. One that I haven't tried requires some advance planning. You take Dramamine the night before and since you're going to bed anyway the drowsiness factor isn't an issue. The next day you're all rested but the Dramamine is still in your system and still working it's magic.

Another one that I HAVE tried is to put a cotton ball in one ear. If you're right-handed you put it in your left ear, and vice versa. I have tried this one a few times (when I remember to stock my car with cotton balls) and although I'm not ready to declare it a surefire method, I will say that I have never gotten carsick when I've been using the cotton balls. :D
Risking thread drift a bit, but I'm curious if you've ever used those little magnet bracelets people use on cruise ships? I had bad carsickness as a kid and i've thankfully grown out of it. But I've definitely gotten to the point where a nice park bench is my favorite ride at Oak's Park!

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » June 20th, 2013, 5:59 pm

adamschneider wrote:Chickweed, not catchfly.
Whoops! Thanks for the correction!
jeffstatt wrote:I'm curious if you've ever used those little magnet bracelets people use on cruise ships?
Yeah, I've tried those and they never seemed to do much for me.

jeffstatt wrote:I've definitely gotten to the point where a nice park bench is my favorite ride at Oak's Park!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » June 20th, 2013, 9:58 pm

justpeachy wrote:
jeffstatt wrote:I'm curious if you've ever used those little magnet bracelets people use on cruise ships?
Yeah, I've tried those and they never seemed to do much for me.
That could be because they're complete B.S. :) They work exactly as well as rabbit's feet and knocking on wood.

deuelio

Post by deuelio » July 17th, 2013, 11:19 am

Great report. How long did the hike take you from. You headed down about noon but you got to the lot at 8:15. I've wanted to do that hike for a long time but never had the time. I have a window of time but I'm not sure I can make it out there and back.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » July 17th, 2013, 9:35 pm

deuelio wrote:How long did the hike take you
It took us about 2.5 hours to get to the top, but we stopped for pictures and geocaching along the way. It took us about two hours from summit to trailhead on the way back.

deuelio

Post by deuelio » July 19th, 2013, 8:26 am

Awesome, thanks for the help. I think we'll do it.