Pokin' Around Punch Bowl Falls (June 13)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Splintercat

Pokin' Around Punch Bowl Falls (June 13)

Post by Splintercat » June 14th, 2013, 7:01 pm

I've been up to Eagle Creek several times this year -- just one of those years, I guess? It's a trail that I never hike on weekends, but I've been able to slip up there mid-week for some really nice, quiet time -- especially in the "cathedral" that surrounds Punch Bowl Falls. I headed up there again on Thursday, arriving at the trailhead at about 2 PM. Oddly enough, I was fighting sun most of the day, despite an enormous downpour on the way out of Portland, and another on the way back in the evening..!

What really struck me was the wild fluctuation in water levels since my last trip, two weeks prior. On that trip, you had crawl along the boot path at the bottom of the spur trail to stay dry, and wading out to the falls view was out of the question. I had brought my wading shoes, and took about three steps and realized that I'd be up to my thighs in VERY swift water! So... no go on May 29th. Fast forward to yesterday, and water levels were down by a least a foot! I put together some then-and-now to show the difference a week makes.

Here's the view looking downstream, over the lower falls:

Here's another view, looking upstream from about where the photographer is standing in the first photo:

With the water down to near-summer levels, the rock-stackers have been VERY busy..!

(...and no, I did not kick them over...) ;)

...and I'm obviously still infatuated with the pano feature on my phone:

While I was out standing in the middle of the creek, a young couple appeared and started to take their clothes off... ack! Was this a Pokin' Around the Gorge moment..?!? Nope, they were dressed to swim! I took a few photos for them... and yes, they both went all the way under!

Judging by how completely numb my feet were after 30 minutes in the creek, I suspect they were slightly chilled by the experience! :lol: But they had fun, and I e-mailed the pics to them last night.

So... the water was a bit high and the moss a bit burned out for my "glam" photos of the falls (still trying to match 2010... what a great year that was for waterfall photography!). But here goes -- a couple of standard views:

While I was waiting out the periodic sunbursts, I noticed this large Douglas fir hanging over the Punch Bowl... has this tree always been leaning like this..?

...or do we have "Punch Bowl Log: The Sequel" about to premier in front of our falls...? :?

Probably my last trip up there until next winter, when I often hike this trial on Super Bowl Sunday... can't wait!

Tom :)

retired jerry

Re: Pokin' Around Punch Bowl Falls (June 13)

Post by retired jerry » June 14th, 2013, 7:07 pm

Nice of you not to kick over the rock piles :)

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » June 14th, 2013, 7:15 pm

Tom,

Wonderful photos - thanks! I'm going to have to check the archives to see if I have any of that tree!

The Loonie bunch will be going by there about 7 tomorrow and we will be fording the creek about mile 5. glad to see it is so far down!

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » June 14th, 2013, 7:25 pm

retired jerry wrote:Nice of you not to kick over the rock piles :)
See? You've reformed me, Jerry... I almost added one of my own... ;)

@ Don: I was able to wade all the way across to the cave without going above my knees, so it's really manageable right now. But... I'm thinking the Loonies should be a Tyrollean traverse across the gorge from the Metlako viewpoint, instead, don't you think..? Wading across mere water seems so conventional..! ;)

Tom

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » June 14th, 2013, 7:30 pm

Splintercat wrote:
retired jerry wrote:Nice of you not to kick over the rock piles :)
See? You've reformed me, Jerry... I almost added one of my own... ;)

@ Don: I was able to wade all the way across to the cave without going above my knees, so it's really manageable right now. But... I'm thinking the Loonies should be a Tyrollean traverse across the gorge from the Metlako viewpoint, instead, don't you think..? Wading across mere water seems so conventional..! ;)

Tom
You are correct - wading is so, well, pedestrian. The rest of the guys will probably just walk across on top of the water :D - I'll just try not to hurt myself!

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

airoff

Post by airoff » June 14th, 2013, 7:32 pm

Those are crazy good pics! I literally said to myself, "oh no, he's going to kick them over" before I scrolled down. :D

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » June 14th, 2013, 7:46 pm

See? I'm a reformed man! :lol:

Tom :)

Crusak

Post by Crusak » June 14th, 2013, 8:38 pm

Great pictures of the Punch Bowl area! You never seem to disappoint, and neither does Eagle Creek. ;)

That big doug fir hanging over the falls would create a very large visual obstruction if it fell in just the wrong place down there. I'm guessing that the Forest Service doesn't remove trees from there, do they? Personally I enjoy watching nature at work, and I don't mind the randomness it creates. Sure would mess with all the folks looking for that perfect calendar money shot, though. :)
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 14th, 2013, 8:47 pm

beauty is in eye of beholder

I think picture would be better with tree :)

Peder

Post by Peder » June 14th, 2013, 9:00 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:The Loonie bunch will be going by there about 7 tomorrow and we will be fording the creek about mile 5. glad to see it is so far down!
That sure took a load off my shoulders, I was worried about the creek tomorrow morning: Don will just vault across (or walk on water, whichever is easier) and I would be stranded on the wrong side. With low water levels, there is even a hope that I will make it over! :D
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…