Eagle Creek to Wahtum lake Fri 5/11/2013

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
MarsIsCobra

Eagle Creek to Wahtum lake Fri 5/11/2013

Post by MarsIsCobra » May 11th, 2013, 8:46 am

Needed to challenge myself so I decided to do a solo out and back from Eagle Creek up to Wahtum Lake. I was going for my first 30+ mile hike, so I took a few side trails to rack up some miles. Got 32 miles in! Here goes…

Pulled into the trailhead pretty late at 8am. A bit chilly, but the skys are clear. Supposed to be a very nice day. Anticipating a very long day, I tried to pack wisely, a few safety supplies, food and a single luxery item; an extra pair of socks (these proved most excellent at the 25 mile mark!). I also dumped the hydration pack in lieu of my new Sawyer bottle/filter combo http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005SO8VAE/ Carrying a single liter, rather than loading up my 3 liter hydration pack dropped a bit over 4 pounds from the pack.

While it was a Friday, I still expected many more people. Passed two women about a mile in and then 4 backpackers coming out at about the 5 mile mark. I hiked in complete solitude for the next 15 miles (nice!). Everyone knows the trail up to Tunnel, and probably beyond. Gentle grade, though the rocks can be a bit rough on the feet. I had been told multiple times the trail from the Eagle creek junction up to the lake got pretty tough, but I now beg to differ. I found the grade gentle and the trail easy all the way to the Lake. Looking at the contour map this morning I see this is true. However, the Indian Springs trail looked challenging, I'll try that next time. The route is forested with very few views, a lot of creek crossings and some occasional skree allowing me to enjoy some real *heat*.

I ran into snow about a 1/4 mile from the lake. I did pack spikes but didn't need them. I post holed a few times up to the knee, but hardly noteworthy. And finally the lake. Wow.

I had high hopes of getting up to Chinidere, but it was 2:30 and I needed to start back by 3. Kicked myself for the late start, but gives me something to look forward to. On the way back I ran into maybe a dozen backpackers from 7 1/2 mile camp to Tenas. The only flip floppers I saw were near punchbowl. Oh, and the socks, I changed into a clean pair at about Wy-east and oh my oh my, that felt good :)

I would go back and camp up there next weekend if I had a camping partner. That would give time to explore Indian Springs and Chinidere. Sounds awesome. Gotta find a backpacking partner.

Here are some pics, all from the Junction up to the Lake. Sorry, I'm not a photographer.
Attachments
1 IMG_3995 junction.JPG
Junction
2 IMG_4006 typical trail.JPG
Typical trail
3 IMG_4038 a few creek beds.JPG
Trail
4 IMG_4041 chinidere.JPG
Chinidere
5 IMG_4074 Wahtum.JPG
Wahtum Lake 1
6 IMG_4089 Wahtum.JPG
Wahtum Lake 2
7 IMG_4114 30 miles.jpg
30 miles :)
8 IMG_4216 trip comp.jpg
Trip Stats

Oldman Withers

Re: Eagle Creek to Wahtum lake Fri 5/11/2013

Post by Oldman Withers » May 11th, 2013, 9:58 am

Wow all the snow's gone, what difference from when I was there just two weeks ago. The socks are a great idea, any 20+ mile day hike I always bring them. The trail is gradual all the way up, no steep sections, however passing the lake and throwing Cindere mtn adds to the challenge. I've done it once as an add on to this day hike and don't know if I'd do it again.
Great trip report by the way.
Best regards, Scott

Crusak

Post by Crusak » May 11th, 2013, 10:40 am

That's a good fast pace, especially over 30 miles. I can't keep that pace for that long. I'm surprised at the lack of people. The news about the early snowmelt might change that soon, once the word gets out.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

mayhem

Post by mayhem » May 11th, 2013, 4:27 pm

Cobra,
Your the real deal, Bammola to 30+Ola!!
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

wraithevolution

Post by wraithevolution » May 11th, 2013, 5:11 pm

That's an awesome pace to hold! I've gone up Benson plateau around Wahtum and down Eagle before but not the way you did it. I don't think I could hold that strong a pace, my knees would hate me.
A man is defined by his actions in life and by the well being of those directly effected by these actions.

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » May 11th, 2013, 6:44 pm

Looks like your enjoying the new gps, Tim. The Indian Springs Trail is my favorite in the gorge along with Herman Creek and has a great viewpoint about half way up. Thanks for the report on the continuing snow melt too.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » May 11th, 2013, 6:56 pm

Tim,

Nice job!!! You rock - that is one impressive accompishment.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

discodan7700

Post by discodan7700 » May 11th, 2013, 7:33 pm

Great one. thanks for the update! So valuable!

-daniel-

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 12th, 2013, 6:56 am

WOW!!! You did it, man! Words fail me... Awesome! Jealous! Etc! :D

And that pace - for that distance! - really rocks, too.

But one thing... Looks to me like you still had at least eight minutes of daylight left! (What's up with that? :lol:)

Congrats...
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

MarsIsCobra

Post by MarsIsCobra » May 12th, 2013, 8:08 am

@oldman withers, @crusak, @mayhem, @wraithevolution, @Sean, @Don, @discodan (love that name, need to hear the back story on that someday) and @kepPNW

Thanks for the comments and encouraging words. I have to confess I am paying a price for those miles still today. Though I expect if I can keep dropping weight and pushing myself, it will get easier :?:

@crusak, next time you're going with
@mayhem, you know whats next on my list
@wraithevolution, my bum knee was (is) not happy
@sean, Indian Springs is now in my future. I think next time I'll camp and add Chinidere, Indian Springs and a few more destinations.
@kepPNW you know it! I used those 8 minutes to lie on the ground and cry