Opal Creek 5/24

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Rollin

Opal Creek 5/24

Post by Rollin » June 24th, 2008, 10:18 pm

This is my first trip report and really not much of one. My parents were out for a summer vacation so they had the camera. Hopefully I'll get a new one soon!

Opal Creek is one of my favorite spots. The water out there is amazingly clear, even at this time of year.
water.JPG
Just a little further up the road is what I think is called three pools. There's a nice new parking lot out there and a short walk to this view.
three pools.JPG
I know it's not the biggest tree in that first grove but what a great pic. There are about 6-8 like it in the spot.
fir.JPG
Last edited by Rollin on June 25th, 2008, 11:32 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Delfiin

Re: Opal Creek 5/24

Post by Delfiin » June 25th, 2008, 5:52 am

Thanks for the report. I had just been looking at opal creek for an overnight trip. I have never been out there, but it seems like a worthwhile place to check out.

baker9903

Post by baker9903 » June 25th, 2008, 11:05 am

Nice report. Its good to see an update of conditions there. How far back did you go? Cedar Flats or farther? Is the snow gone? This is one of my favorite places in Oregon, and I need to plan a trip back there soon.

Rollin

Post by Rollin » June 25th, 2008, 1:14 pm

Yeah, it's pretty clear of snow by now, I didn't see any last time I went. The farthest I made it back was a little past jawbone flats and opal pool (3 miles or so). Can't wait to check out cedar flats but I haven't been there yet.

kelkev

Post by kelkev » June 25th, 2008, 4:03 pm

I was there on Monday June 16th (a sunny, beautiful 70 degree day). Made it above Opal Pool to the first footbridge across Opal Creek, which is less than a mile upstream - the bridge is one of those old log footbridges with handrails, and it was damaged over the winter and is closed.....the only damage I could see was that the upstream handrails were gone - I ventured across and headed upstream, but ran into more frequent snow patches and larger amounts of windfall. Turned back about half way to Cedar Flats. Also noted on the Detroit Ranger District current conditions page that the bridge over the outlet of Marion Lake was destroyed by winter storm damage.
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

HitTheTwit

Post by HitTheTwit » June 26th, 2008, 3:58 pm

I was thinking about possibly going over there this weekend. Are there areas for campsites? Any good non-freezing swimming holes?

Thanks for responding!

~Ian

Rollin

Post by Rollin » June 27th, 2008, 1:26 pm

I'm not sure if you can camp in the ancient forest area(the part after the road ends and you have to walk). I'm sure you can camp at one of the places on the road on the way out there though. Actually that's where the first two pictures I posted are from (just off the road on the way out). Salmon falls is a nice rec area that is almost like a beach with the amount of people in their swimming suits around there. It's going to be a hot weekend too!

Another thing you could do is try to rent a cabin in the ancient forest area. They are pretty cheep and it's a neat place. It looks picture perfect like a old mining camp (jawbone flats).
Last edited by Rollin on June 28th, 2008, 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » June 27th, 2008, 8:16 pm

You can't camp at Jawbone Flats but there are campsites along the trail, especially past the bridge on the trail up to Cedar Flats. I take it that you can cross the bridge even with one rail out? It had one on each side and it's a very wide log. The question is, of course, has the snow melted at Cedar Flats? Pretty thick forest in there and a north-facing valley to boot. Or you could hike up Battle Axe Creek beyond Jawbone Flats.

kelkev

Post by kelkev » June 28th, 2008, 11:07 am

Actually not a lot of snow left, only some deep patches. The blowdowns and snow became more challenging after crossing the damaged bridge. The upstream side handrail is gone, and the bridge now seems to slope or tilt - of course to the side without the handrail. But not anything treacherous unless you weren't holding the other handrail and walked across with wet boots.....
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir