Latourell Falls Closed: THEY WILL CHASE YOU ON DIRT BIKES

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
surfgypsy

Latourell Falls Closed: THEY WILL CHASE YOU ON DIRT BIKES

Post by surfgypsy » June 5th, 2012, 8:31 pm

Latourell Falls is indeed closed for construction and maintenance. I made the mistake of parking west of the main parking lot earlier today (which is completely blocked off). There were no signs posted to keep out of the western-most trailhead, so I went ahead and ran the trail to the upper falls . . . I turned back after seeing the "TRAIL CLOSED" sign on the bridge crossing the creek (under the falls) . . . and two guys chased me on dirt bikes (from the upper falls all the way to the road). I was able to outrun them, but certainly will not make that mistake again. I'm not sure whether or not they would have cited me, but I was not about to find out. They should clearly mark all of the trailheads, as legally I did nothing wrong. Wow, that was the run of my life!!! They were just a few switchbacks behind me, hollering to stop. No way in hell! I don’t recommend this type of adventure, but wow, what an adrenaline rush. A sweet man with his pooch intervened where the trailhead meets the road & apparently had my would-be capturers caught in an ear-lock . . . suffice to say I had just enough time to sprint to my ride and get the hell out of there. Yikes!!! :D To the guys who roared after me on the dirt bikes: you might want to brush up on your motocross skills . . . you just got beat by a tiny lady on two, furiously pumping feet!!! Were you rangers or construction workers? I would love to know. Hey, want to grab a cup of tea? It's on me. Cheers. Thanks for the rush and the nettle rash! :D

Guy

Re: Latourell Falls Closed: THEY WILL CHASE YOU ON DIRT BIKE

Post by Guy » June 6th, 2012, 5:26 am

Thats a heck of a story surfgypsy! Dirt Bikes? what the hell were either construction workers or rangers doing on the trail with dirt bikes?? It would be good if someone in the know could enlighten us on this especially as there was no trail closed sign at the road! Well done on outrunning them whoever they were....Unless they were just chasing you because you dropped your wallet that it ;) ..
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » June 6th, 2012, 5:30 am

Dirt bikes? That sounds odd. Are you sure they were legitimate?
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

cascadehiker

Post by cascadehiker » June 6th, 2012, 6:54 am

surfgypsy wrote: Wow, that was the run of my life!!! They were just a few switchbacks behind me, hollering to stop. No way in hell! I don’t recommend this type of adventure, but wow, what an adrenaline rush.

hmmmmm, almost tempted to try this.... :lol:
"Man who catch fly with chopstick accomplish anything" - Mr Miyagi

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » June 6th, 2012, 7:15 am

Dang CH, loony minds think a like? :P

donaleen

Post by donaleen » June 6th, 2012, 8:15 am

There is nothing about the trail being closed on the Multnomah Falls FS site either. I think they should at least post that it is closed. Poor form on their part.

Lurch

Post by Lurch » June 6th, 2012, 8:55 am

I have a feeling she meant mountain bike? as in bicycle not motorcycle..... I could be wrong though, I knew the parking lot was closed, didn't know about the trail..

The trail falls in Guy Talbot and George Joseph St Park, so it's an Oregon State Parks thing, not a Forest Service thing. Not surprising the Forest Service doesn't have signs about it.

funsizedgirl

Post by funsizedgirl » June 6th, 2012, 10:41 am

I work for State Parks and I am the main person on the West end of the Historic Highway. I can assure you that you were not chased by Park Ranger's because that would be me. As for the construction workers there are only 3 and they are the nicest of men and would not do such a thing. Everything west of the creek itself is open and that is why the trail that meets the road did not give any indication that the whole trail was closed. You should really call the State Park Office at 503 695 2261 and report this because you could have been seriously hurt.
Monica

surfgypsy

Post by surfgypsy » June 6th, 2012, 11:58 am

Oh I have no illusions...I was chased by two guys who were definitely riding dirt bikes as in motocross, complete with riding gear, the works. It was actually pretty terrifying. I stumbled a few times, but I just didn't stop. I debated rolling off the trail and hiding, but was too scared. I ran for all I was worth, because I was scared shitless and secondly I didn't want to find out what they wanted. I cannot afford hefty fines or even angry words. I just ran to the falls and back. Is that really a crime? They should mark the western trailhead as closed, so no one makes my mistake. I am assuming the guys were construction workers...maybe they ride/patrol the loop every night after getting off of work? Fun for them, not for a scared 26 year old lady. I do not know. The strange thing is that I did not see tracks when I ran in. I could not make this up. I called my mom afterwards, and between winded breaths, told her everything. She was angry, but I told her about that particular park being closed and that trail as well (which I now know). Again, I will not attempt this anytime soon. Whoa, I am a bit sore today (from wiping out and from landing in a few nettles). That was not my usual pace. I found it very odd. I would have never in my life expected to outrun TWO guys on dirt bikes, and I couldn't even believe they were chasing me so aggressively. The sharp switchbacks and wet conditions definitely gave me the edge, plus that sweet guy at the bottom who engaged them in some type of conversation as I raced to my car. I screamed at him, "they're after me" and didn't stop running. :|

surfgypsy

Post by surfgypsy » June 6th, 2012, 12:14 pm

"Thats a heck of a story surfgypsy! Dirt Bikes? what the hell were either construction workers or rangers doing on the trail with dirt bikes??" -Guy

I would love to know what the hell they were doing as well. It scared the crap out of me. I thought I was going to get run over or tackled if they caught up to me. EEKS. :(

BTW I first saw and heard the guys on their dirt bikes when I was at the bridge (at the upper falls). I was doing some deep yoga breathing, relaxing, absorbing the beauty of it all (feeling like a proper goddess) and then bam, I could hear bbbrrr bbbr bbbbrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrr and could see them coming south down the trail on the other side of the creek. I just thought shit, and started to run. I think that should have been enough (they obviously scared me off), but they found it necessary to chase me all the way to the road. Even at the summit, I thought oh they will surely back off, but nope, they were hot on my heels . . . very aggressive, yelling, etc. Do you really blame me for running? What would you do? I ran like hell.
Last edited by surfgypsy on June 6th, 2012, 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.