01.21.12 Eagle Creek/Latourell Falls

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
renegadepilgrim

01.21.12 Eagle Creek/Latourell Falls

Post by renegadepilgrim » January 22nd, 2012, 10:43 am

We started the day with the intention of hiking Eagle Creek trail to Tunnel Falls. I hadn't read any recent trail reports here and now I know why. :) We arrived at the trail head around 8:00a and found about a foot of snow around the area. Nothing too difficult to navigate and since I had just bought some Kahtoola micro spikes, I felt comfortable hiking the trail in them. My hiking partner and I both agreed to give it a go and see how far we could get.

We started on the trail and I have to say, I don't know how I lived without micro spikes before! They made such a huge difference in traction and comfort. There was probably a foot of snow around the trail head area and once on the trail it was about 6 inches deep in some places, with some bare trail as well. There was lots of ice on the trees and plants, which made for some fun pictures.

We encountered a lot of blow down (or ice down, as the case may be) but managed to get around most of it. Finally, it was a waterfall blocking the trail (just before Punchbowl Falls)which finally made us turn around. There just wasn't a good way behind or around it without getting really wet or being really dangerous.

So we turned around and went to Latourell Falls instead. We did the 2.3 mile loop and called it a day.

Complete photo album can be found here: https://plus.google.com/photos/10171477 ... 6Zzlg8O-RA

The beginning of Eagle Creek Trail

Eagle Creek

Ice on the trees

Blow down

More blowdown

More trees on the trail

A boulder
Travel and Outdoor Adventure Website: http://www.renegadepilgrim.com
Instagram/Tumblr/Twitter: renegadepilgrim

geographics

Re: 01.21.12 Eagle Creek/Latourell Falls

Post by geographics » January 22nd, 2012, 10:58 am

=
Last edited by geographics on April 6th, 2012, 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » January 22nd, 2012, 11:01 am

I wonder where ForestKeeper went?

Looks like we are finding a lot for him, and others :) , to do!

Can't wait to get out and check on things!

mandrake

Post by mandrake » January 22nd, 2012, 1:35 pm

I was out there too yesterday to check out the waterfalls. Eagle Creek is seriously ripping currently -- if it gets much higher, the last section of road out to the trailhead (south of the fish hatchery) will be threatened. As RenegadePilgrim notes there's quite a lot of blowdown; also saw evidence of minor avalanche & rockslide activity - some ongoing - along the trail. Just past Black Bear Creek (as Chameleon calls it; next major drainage south of Tish Creek) the trail was completely blocked by a huge pile of debris (combo of dirt, ice, rocks & buried blowdown); climbing over it was a bit sketchy per a big drop below; there is no handrail in this section. Use extreme caution if you're venturing out there. Expect some icy waterfall showers along the trail and some wading.

Thum

Post by Thum » January 22nd, 2012, 3:19 pm

I love the attitude, pilgrim :) That is the beauty of this time of year in so many ways, just getting out and saying, "lets see how far we get" can be the most rewarding thing.

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » January 23rd, 2012, 3:14 am

Thanks Renagadepilgrim and Mandrake for the info. I was up there two weeks ago on trail patrol before the freezing rain hit last week. There was just one blow down, one small rock slide, and some tweakers up there. I'll get with Edan (Columbia River Scenic Area/USFS Manager) with the info and a game plan. Most likely we will close the trail till the weather improves to get a crew up there.

asakawa

Post by asakawa » January 23rd, 2012, 2:04 pm

The snow picked up after Punchbowl Falls, this picture was taken just before High Bridge.
photo.JPG

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » January 23rd, 2012, 8:31 pm

asakawa wrote:The snow picked up after Punchbowl Falls, this picture was taken just before High Bridge.
photo.JPG
Wow, I guess that's safe! :D

renegadepilgrim

Post by renegadepilgrim » January 23rd, 2012, 11:17 pm

geographics wrote:thanks for the TR, looks awesome up that way! any pics of the blocking waterfall?
If you go to the google album link I posted, there is a raging waterfall, probably about 10 pics in...that's the one that blocked us from going further.

I think there is going to be A LOT of trail work to be done here come spring....

Asakawa, I am glad you guys got further than us, though it looks like we wouldn't have been able to get to Tunnel Falls if we had wanted to!!!
Travel and Outdoor Adventure Website: http://www.renegadepilgrim.com
Instagram/Tumblr/Twitter: renegadepilgrim

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » January 24th, 2012, 3:02 am

I got a reply from Edan (Columbia River Scenic Area/ Recreation manager) whom told me he's sending a work crew up to the Eagle Cr. Tr. But with more snow and freezing rain forecasted for this coming week, I'm not sure how soon till it will be open. :?