Mt Hood mystery #47...

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
Koda

Re: Mt Hood mystery #47...

Post by Koda » November 26th, 2011, 10:08 am

raven wrote:Late afternoon?
this was too long ago... it was day 2 of our round the mountain hike. We had camped the night before somewhere between the lodge and Paradise park, traveling that direction so.... noonish?

you seem to be onto something? I can email you the original... I promise its not photoshopped ;)

lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

raven

Post by raven » November 26th, 2011, 11:51 am

Don't bother to email a copy to me... I believe you, and have no way to analyze the algorithm used in the camera. I am interested in making an effort to find the source of this interesting background to future 47th birthday photographs.

My thinking is that an expedition of a form is needed to record simultaneous data from several perspectives, because the 47 may not be visible or may be much less obvious from other locations.

The shadows indicate your photo was taken in the late afternoon. The 47 may only be clear or may be clearest from that one angle, so the investigation has to be carried out at about the same time and day. Several investigators are needed, with cameras, in separate locations at the same time.

*Someone to record the phenomena from the same location, so if no one else finds anything, we can distinguish between requiring a fresh approach and another attempt under more favorable conditions. Preferably photos would be taken with both the same camera using the same settings and an SLR capturing RAW images.

*Someone near the location of the 47 recording the features casting shadows, etc., while being careful to be down sun or beside the potential 47 generating features and the views from the other recording stations.

**Photographers somewhere along Yocum Ridge and McNeil Point for triangulation and views of the shadows from other angles.

*Last, possibly, a photographer on Bald Mountain; because, should the 47 look similar from both Bald Mountain and the original perspective, Bald Mountain, the nearby ridgeline or the PCT would be more convenient locations for 47th birthday photographs and future studies of the phenomena, such as a time lapse sequence.

Who knows what lurks in the shadows?; so let's synchronize watches and find out.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 30th, 2011, 7:22 am

I bet you wouldn't recognize it when you're standing next to it.

It's sort of on the route between Yocum and McNeil. Maybe easier from the Yocum side. I think it's below the obvious route between.

Maybe you could create a waypoint on a GPS which would make it easier to find the location.

mayhem

Post by mayhem » December 4th, 2011, 10:09 pm

I do not see it here but it is a slightly different angle and more snow????
http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... f=8&t=6141
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » January 2nd, 2012, 4:54 pm

You know, I'm seeing it, too...

...but it looks more like 1,346 to me...

-Tom ;)

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 2nd, 2012, 4:57 pm

Hah, hah, hah,...

Are you calling some of us crazy???

payslee

Post by payslee » January 4th, 2012, 2:56 pm

Found some low-snow side angle shots I took of that area from the ridge above McNeil, September 15, 2007. All I see is mountain, but it's possibly someone from my alma mater was being naughty up there.

http://www.pomona.edu/about/pomoniana/t ... of-47.aspx

-payslee
P1010026.JPG
P1010043.JPG

hlee

Post by hlee » April 27th, 2012, 5:12 am

I finally saw it after a few days of squinting/glaring at my screen. I'm so excited.

Hannah

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.
-- T.S. Eliot

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 27th, 2012, 5:52 am

If you want to go see it, it's rather difficult. Between top of McNeil Ridge and top of Yocum Ridge. I've been trying to do this for years (although not very hard :) ). Treacherous cliffs and ice fields to negotiate. That is, trying to go between McNeil and Yocum - not see the "47" - but now there's another reason to try this.

Titogoeshiking

Post by Titogoeshiking » November 29th, 2012, 12:01 am

I must be blind. I don't see it. :(