Crown-Zellerbach Trail

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Easyrider

Crown-Zellerbach Trail

Post by Easyrider » January 2nd, 2011, 9:12 am

I haven't found much information about this one but it's an interesting stroll where you get to see a lot of history. It (almost) links up with the Banks-Vernonia Trail which makes for a 40+ mile round trip walk.

I plan on making several more trips out that way to explore some to the spurs that I didn't have time to document yet. And to look for artifacts once the snow melts.

http://easyrider.easyrider.com/Crown-Zellerback.htm

http://easyrider.easyrider.com/banks.htm
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from surviving bad judgment. ~Rita Mae Brown

mayhem

Re: Crown-Zellerbach Trail

Post by mayhem » January 2nd, 2011, 9:49 am

Easyrider wrote:I haven't found much information about this one but it's an interesting stroll where you get to see a lot of history. It (almost) links up with the Banks-Vernonia Trail which makes for a 40+ mile round trip walk.

I plan on making several more trips out that way to explore some to the spurs that I didn't have time to document yet. And to look for artifacts once the snow melts.

http://easyrider.easyrider.com/Crown-Zellerback.htm

http://easyrider.easyrider.com/banks.htm
That is pretty cool thanks for sharing.
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

Billc

Post by Billc » January 5th, 2011, 5:35 am

Great report. The missing bridge sounded like an old train trestle that may have burned. I looks like this was the old Portland & Southwestern route. Here is a link to some interesting research done there.

http://www.brian894x4.com/PortlandandSo ... ernRR.html

Bill

Charley

Post by Charley » January 5th, 2011, 11:55 am

Thanks so much! That'd be a nice early season mountain bike trip for me.
Charley
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

Easyrider

Post by Easyrider » January 10th, 2011, 5:30 pm

I've completely documented the Crown-Zellerbach trail now, including a trail guide, piles of pictures and a GPSr track file. I still have a little more exploring to do but the 23 mile end-to-end trail is now completed. Previous to going out there I had talked to a few people who knew about this trail and/or who claimed to have traveled it in it's entirety. But even finding the Chapman Landing trailhead seemed like it was being kept a deep, dark secret. As with all of my trail guides, I provide everything you'd ever want to know about how to get there, how to stay on the trail, hazards and so on.

The disappointing part of this adventure was that the trail ends in Pittsburg, some 5-6 miles from the Banks-Vernonia trail. And given how little funding/interest there is in developing this trail, a potential link-up probably isn't going to happen in my lifetime. Still.... it's a nice little trail in it's own right and one that can be done pretty much any time of year.
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from surviving bad judgment. ~Rita Mae Brown

mayhem

Post by mayhem » January 10th, 2011, 7:39 pm

Easyrider wrote:I've completely documented the Crown-Zellerbach trail now, including a trail guide, piles of pictures and a GPSr track file. I still have a little more exploring to do but the 23 mile end-to-end trail is now completed. Previous to going out there I had talked to a few people who knew about this trail and/or who claimed to have traveled it in it's entirety. But even finding the Chapman Landing trailhead seemed like it was being kept a deep, dark secret. As with all of my trail guides, I provide everything you'd ever want to know about how to get there, how to stay on the trail, hazards and so on.

The disappointing part of this adventure was that the trail ends in Pittsburg, some 5-6 miles from the Banks-Vernonia trail. And given how little funding/interest there is in developing this trail, a potential link-up probably isn't going to happen in my lifetime. Still.... it's a nice little trail in it's own right and one that can be done pretty much any time of year.
Cool thanks for all the work you have done
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

vibramhead

Post by vibramhead » January 11th, 2011, 11:23 am

Easyrider: Much thanks for your excellent trip report. It inspired me to check out the trail last week, and we had a nice walk from B&B Market to the Alder Creek crossing.
Time spent hiking will not be deducted from your life.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.

Crusak

Post by Crusak » January 11th, 2011, 12:15 pm

wow great project. your work is very well documented, thanks for sharing.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Easyrider

Post by Easyrider » January 11th, 2011, 1:11 pm

My favorite stretch is from the summit to Camp 8. It's about ten miles RT, very scenic and more artifacts to look over. Also very few people but lots of wildlife.

Guy

Post by Guy » January 11th, 2011, 5:16 pm

Many thanks for the great info & pics & update!

Any chance you could share the GPS track in GPX format? I think TPX can only be read by those with Delorme software :(

Cheers.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors