Expansion of mountain biking on hiking trails in Forest Park

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
vibramhead

Expansion of mountain biking on hiking trails in Forest Park

Post by vibramhead » November 15th, 2009, 12:01 pm

Portland mountain bikers have mounted a well-funded lobbying effort to change the rules in Forest Park to permit riding on hiking trails. Mountain bike shop Universal Cycles has put up $50,000 for the effort. Bikes are currently allowed on 28 miles there, including Leif Erikson, Saltzman, Springville, BPA Rd, Holman Lane, and Firelanes 1, 3, 5, 10, 12, & 15. That accounts for almost 30 percent of the 70 miles of trail in the park. But for some bikers, that's not enough; they want access to "singletrack", which is what the rest of us know as hiking trails. Bikes are already allowed on hiking trails on Powell Butte and around Hagg Lake, and there's heaps of singletrack riding allowed on the Longview Fiber timberlands just north of Forest Park off NW Rocky Point Rd, and lots more in the Tillamook State Forest, GPNF, MHNF, etc.

City commissioner Nick Fish was reportedly ready to go along with the proposal, when opposition surfaced and he decided to create an advisory committee. See the story here: http://bikeportland.org/2009/10/28/a-fi ... pposition/, and here: http://www.portlandmonthlymag.com/trave ... king-0709/.

Marcy Houle, the wildlife biologist who wrote "One City's Wilderness," the definitive guide to Forest Park, has come out strongly against the proposal. Here's her letter: http://bikeportland.org/wp-content/uplo ... letter.pdf. Marcy is on the advisory committee. So are staff of the Forest Park Conservancy, which appears to have decided that the bikers deserve more access, though it's not clear how much they'd support. They put out a "white paper" in May that suggested opening Firelane 4 as a possibility: http://bikeportland.org/wp-content/uplo ... -final.pdf.

Here's the site for the advisory committee: http://www.portlandonline.com/PARKS/index.cfm?c=51017. It appears that they're focusing on identifying hiking trails in the central portion of the park (possibly the Maple Trail) that could be opened to bikes to create more loops. They're aiming at making final recommendations by spring 2010. Presumably, the City Council would hold a public hearing before approving any changes.

I think allowing bikes on hiking trails in Forest Park is a bad idea. The essence of Forest Park, and what makes it different from almost any other city park, is that it's a wilderness set aside for quiet, contemplative recreation, where it's possible to find solitude on the lesser-known hiking trails. Bikes just don't mix safely with hikers on narrow trails; they move much faster, and they chew up the trail when it's muddy. There are already lots of bikers illegally riding on trails in Portland parks, and the city does zero enforcement. Here's a video of mountain bikers illegally carving new trails through Washington Park: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUMFlPn0Uu8. One of these bikers, flying over a jump, almost crushed my leashed dog when I was hiking in the park. The Parks Bureau's only full-time ranger has to cover the whole city, and he has no law enforcement powers. He can't even write a ticket.

If you agree that bikes on the hiking trails is a bad idea, you might consider emailing Nick Fish and the other city council members (Amanda Fritz, Dan Saltzman, Randy Leonard, and Sam Adams) and let them know what you think: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], and [email protected].
Time spent hiking will not be deducted from your life.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.

Charley

Re: Expansion of mountain biking on hiking trails in Forest Park

Post by Charley » November 15th, 2009, 1:50 pm

Welcome to Portland Hikers! I hope you enjoy the site.

I'd like to clear up some statements that are floating around in the very incendiary world of internet advocacy.

The Wildwood Trail has not been seriously discussed as an option for bikes. I think some of the original talk mentioned it, but according to Marcy Houle (I spoke with her a couple of weeks ago) that is not on the table. They're looking at other options.

Riders have access to a number of roads, but as of yet, no real trails. Currently there is only less than 0.3 miles of trail open to bikes, and it's a very difficult, short connector between Firelane 5 and Leif Erickson. Also, all the roads in the park (Leif, and then all the others) can be characterized as such:
Leif Erickson is a relatively flat, easy road crowded with strollers, families, joggers with earphones, and unleashed dogs (I was bit once on a ride!). I ride here all the time, but it's not perfect.
All the other roads (every single one) are non-contouring, straight up and down firelanes constructed for access in the event of a fire. They're technically difficult on the descent and most are aerobically impossible for many riders. These roads are an erosion nightmare, also, and their design is difficult to improve.

The Park is 5,000 acres large, and many parts of it are very quiet, virtually empty. There's more than enough room for every one to share space!

As regards the other locations to which riders have access, I don't think that just because hikers have trails in the Columbia River Gorge means that we shouldn't also have hiking trails in Forest Park. Or just because I can hike on Mt. Hood means that I shouldn't have options to hike closer to home. Why should riding a mountain bike be any different? One could say, "those hikers have all those trails in the National and State Forests, so why should they want trails in Forest Park?"

We do have access to a number of short trails at Powell Butte, and I think that just goes to show that there's nothing wrong with it!

So, considering these factors, and considering the enormous benefit that a new infusion of local volunteer enterprise and energy offers the park (in terms of trail work, ivy destruction, and general political advocacy), I strongly support creating new trails for bikes. New trails that parallel US 30 would be fun to ride, and could be constructed to better standards than the current trails. In terms of sharing existing trails, if it works in all these other places, why wouldn't it work in Forest Park? We all have to share the park, and I think most users are mature enough to share wisely. Sure, there will always be trail poachers, joggers who are obliviously listening to the theme from Rocky, and walkers with unleashed dogs. As much as I might like to have the Park to myself (whether I'm walking, trail running, or riding), it's still a City Park, and we all have to share.
Thanks,
Charley
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

vibramhead

Post by vibramhead » November 15th, 2009, 3:20 pm

Thanks for the welcome, Charley.

A couple of thoughts in response. You said it's a city park, so "we all have to share." The fact is that hikers are already sharing Forest Park with bikers. Almost 30 percent of trail mileage is open to bikers legally, and some bikers are regularly helping themselves to a lot more than that. The remaining mileage is legally open to anyone who's willing to park their car or bike and walk. Forest Park is special precisely because it's a place that doesn't accommodate all uses. Forest Park isn't for tennis players, company picnics, soccer teams, paintball enthusiasts, hunters, target shooters, or skateboarders. We have other places for all that.

You say the fact that bikers use hiking trails on Powell Butte shows that "there's nothing wrong with it." I'm not saying there's anything wrong with mountain biking; I'm just saying it doesn't belong on the hiking trails in Forest Park. This video of a bike ride down Powell Butte nicely illustrates why most hikers, particularly ones with small kids along, wouldn't feel safe on trails that bikers race down: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub4zh7JdOb8. And here's another from Powell Butte, showing why you wouldn't want to be anywhere near some bikers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYucK-d9xuM.

While it's true that the Parks & Rec staff have stated that the Wildwood Trail isn't on the table, one of the leading proponents of expanded biking, Frank Selker, appears to be advocating for bikes on the Wildwood Trail on at least certain days of the week: http://bikeportland.org/2008/12/17/a-ne ... rest-park/. In his response to Marcy Houle's letter, he was only willing to concede that Parks & Rec had taken the Wildwood Trail off the table "at this time." It seems likely that if the city council votes to open the Maple Trail or one of the other less-traveled hiking trails to bikes next year, Frank Selker and company will be back asking for more in a couple of years.

Also, regarding the purported "inadequacy" of the existing trails in Forest Park that are open to bikes, the bikers' site Dirtworld gives the Park a warm review, saying it has trails for "all skill levels" ranging from "flat paved paths to monster climbs and rocky descents": http://www.dirtworld.com/trails/trail.asp?id=60. Another site put up by a local biker says that, in the far northwest part of the park, "little used fire roads become overgrown into singletrack." The site includes a video from Newton Rd, showing that some of it is, in fact, "singletrack": http://bbauer.gomen.org/fpark/. So there is, in fact, more than .3 miles of singletrack in the park.

All that said, I'd be fine with the suggestion in the Forest Park Conservancy's white paper that Fire Lane 4 be opened to bikes. That would help link existing routes without much impact on hikers. And I'd certainly support establishment of a new trail paralleling Hyw 30 for bikes and hikers.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.

anna in boots

Post by anna in boots » November 15th, 2009, 3:35 pm

I also believe allowing mountain biking on the single track trails of Forest Park is a bad idea. I'm a mountain biker as well as a hiker but when it comes to dirt trails, I know what can happen.

I'm from the Rocky Mountains, where high-intensity sports reign supreme over quieter activities like hiking and backpacking, mainly because the high-intensity sports generate more money and pull with densely populated and popular counties. In Colorado, hiking-only trails make up the smallest percentage of most "parks." While the remainder are multi-use trails, open to hikers, bikers, and horses, it tends to be used only by the bikers because they scare the hell out of the horses (and people) and rip apart the trails until it becomes unsafe for the hikers.
dakota ridge.jpg
1087101460.jpg
Here's how the devolution works. When I first moved to Denver, my favorite trail close by was Dakota Ridge, a relatively unknown precipitous hogback formation that afforded a lovely view of the city to the east and the mountains to the west. (See above pic.) It was off-limits to bikers. But more and more were using it illegally. Volunteers worked their butts off trying to repair the damage but in the end, the county gave up and simply opened it to bikers rather than try to enforce the rule. My forest ranger friends were more than ticked off by this.

In two years--just two years--I watched that lovely wildflower area with a thin little path turn into a bumpy mud pit four feet wide, with dangerous erosion cascading over hundred foot drops on either side. Few bikers exercised any sort of trail etiquette, preferring to barrel past hikers in their quest for speed up the next steep hill, and the mounting biker-hiker accidents scared all but the bikers away (the hikers usually lost those scrimmages). Now, it's a biking trail and completely trashed in comparison to its former beauty. Following is a comment one biker made about how "technical" the route is due to the fact that he has to roll over the stairs put in for the hikers: "and the series of log steps are pretty tough. Tried it twice and definitely hiked up it." http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-state ... 44crx.aspx Well, duh, buddy, that's because it was intended to be a hiking trail.

Today, I live a few minutes from Forest Park and I've witnessed firsthand just how quickly illegal mountain bikers on Wildwood Trail can shred it during the wet season. All it takes is one shredding and the compaction is jeopardized such that only many layers of gravel can bring it back. That gets pretty expensive.

So, if the bikers are willing to pay a huge premium to spread gravel over their created swampland, let 'em. In the end, all of Forest Park will become gravel or pavement and its unique beauty will become a memory. Meanwhile, I'm sticking to the rocky forest roads and rocky trails open to bikes where I know my knobby tires are welcome. Just because I own a mountain bike doesn't mean the city owes me a trail.

anna in boots
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » November 15th, 2009, 8:14 pm

Do you know if the Portland City Council members would even care what people think that do not live in Portland and/or Multnomah County?
I know for a fact that if you send something to a State Rep or Federal Congresscritter and you're not in their district it goes right in the garbage without a second thought.

vibramhead

Post by vibramhead » November 15th, 2009, 10:13 pm

pdxgene wrote:Do you know if the Portland City Council members would even care what people think that do not live in Portland and/or Multnomah County?
I know for a fact that if you send something to a State Rep or Federal Congresscritter and you're not in their district it goes right in the garbage without a second thought.

It may be that a non-constituent's opinion wouldn't carry a lot of weight, but it couldn't hurt to put in your two cents.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.

romann

Post by romann » November 15th, 2009, 11:27 pm

Well, I bike only in the city, but I have a couple of observations...

I've hiked Coyote Wall trail last spring (this trail has a VERY heavy bike use) and didn't have any problem with bikers. The trail itself is in good condition. Another example is the trail from Lahar viewpoint to Plains of Abraham on Saint Helens. It tends to have a bit more bikers than hikers, but I never met rude bikers there - they even stopped for me more often than I did for them - and this trail is in excellent condition, with only one short spot with erosion. On the other hand, I saw a lot of erosion on meadows in Indian Heaven and Goat Rocks, where no bikes are allowed. Thinking about what would happen if some of my favorites were opened for bikers the only problem I see is that the trails will become more crowded (that's why I oppose it).

Motorcycles are the different thing, they can really "kill" a trail.

anna in boots

Post by anna in boots » November 16th, 2009, 8:27 am

romann wrote:I've hiked Coyote Wall trail last spring (this trail has a VERY heavy bike use) and didn't have any problem with bikers.
I've noticed that Coyote Wall has more rock in the dirt and the land has excellent drainage. Also, the trails aren't deeply cut (yet). But here you will find a sad and accurate prognosis: http://www.efn.org/~k_mccree/MtBikes.html

Forest Park trails become mud pits very quickly because they are cut so deeply into the side of the hill, slowing down run off and pooling it everywhere there's the slightest divot in the path. Plus, the soil is mostly squishy organic matter, very unsuitable for bearing weight while wet--just ask the folks whose houses and backyards have slid down the hill around there.

Over time, knobby bike tires dislodge and kick loose the rocks and soil that hold a trail together. I've witnessed firsthand how stones can become projectiles, flying out from the back tire of a mountain biker trying to get an uphill footing. I remember thinking as I watched, "Man, there goes the trail, right before our eyes."

It's real simple math regarding the distribution of weight and force: foot steps cover less area with less friction, bearing less weight. Tires jam a lot more weight into the earth over a relatively tiny surface area with high friction going uphill or downhill. It's the same reason a bread knife is thin: it can cut through the material better.

I've got some friends who live right next to Forest Park. They walk and run there every day. I'm going to pose this to them and get their input.

anna in boots

PS: I don't know what all the squawking is about, driving a distance to get to mountain biking areas. The very name of the contraption--mountain bike--kinda makes city use a little silly. I'm pleased as pie to drive out to forest and mining roads on the sides of mountains where I know my bike will have as much impact as a leaf and I can ride like a bat out of hell without bothering anybody.

anna in boots

Post by anna in boots » November 16th, 2009, 9:06 am

I noticed something else: the terms mountain bikers use to describe their sport. It's pretty self-explanatory.

Shredding
Toasting
Ripping
Slice and Dice
Pounding
Biting
Scraping
Crashing
Cranking
Killing

How many of these describe your last walk through Forest Park?

anna in boots

skimanjohn

Post by skimanjohn » November 16th, 2009, 12:47 pm

Iam not writing this reply to upset anybody because iam also a hiker,climber and mountain biker who tries to treat the enviroment with respect and consideration to others.But this all sounds strangly like when snow boarding started out and all the skiiers saw doom and gloom for snow sports because of this new radical sport coming into areas that had supported "their" idea of snow sports for so long.Yes you can travel to other areas to mountain bike but now a lot of the best areas are becoming deep in snow for the winter season and hagg lake with its clay based soils are very bad for riding when wet.Iam not in favor of opening up the whole park to Mt bikers and yes there are those who chose to break the rules regardless of what they may be but this is the exception rather than the rule.ymmv