Late March Backpacking Recommendations?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
magpie45

Late March Backpacking Recommendations?

Post by magpie45 » February 7th, 2014, 12:23 pm

Hi everyone! I'm looking for a 2-3 easy backpacking route for the last week in March. Last year a friend and I hiked the Lower Deschutes Canyon Trail and enjoyed the warmth and sun. Are there any other hiking recommended areas like this, without snow at this time of year? Any ideas are appreciated! Thank you! :)

retired jerry

Re: Late March Backpacking Recommendations?

Post by retired jerry » February 7th, 2014, 1:17 pm

Click on "field guide" then "winter and spring backpacks".

I'm always looking for same.

Metolius River is nice, although it's mostly an old road. Hmmm..., that's like the Deschutes :)

Rogue River - a bit further away

The beach on the Olympic Peninsula - further away, plus the weather there is iffy and you have to time the tides.

Steve20050

Post by Steve20050 » February 7th, 2014, 1:26 pm

It is a rather unusual precipitation year so far. It is hard to say if you will be able to get up into the elevations people were at just a couple days ago. I would expect that some point the precipitation levels return to somewhat normal and spring is usually pretty wet with snow accumulations being very low at times. Jerry gave you some ideas. I would say in general terms, the gorge, the coast and the east side of the Cascades are pretty sure bets. Higher will be hard to plan for until we see what happens the next few weeks. Not to snow on the parade, but here's hoping we see a very wet spring as we are headed for a disaster of a fire season this summer if we don't start seeing some serious snow pack. Good start today ;)

magpie45

Post by magpie45 » February 7th, 2014, 2:16 pm

Thank you, great info! :)

drm

Post by drm » February 9th, 2014, 8:07 am

One issue which I haven't seen commented on much for early-season backpacking is that snowless in early season means low altitude, and in most places this means thick forest. Which means no sun, whether or not it is out. The Deschutes is a nice exception to this. And meadows can be really boggy. So it's hard to get much sun when snow prevents you camping closer to the alpine early in the season.