Latest snow level around Mount Hood?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
baker9903

Re: Latest snow level around Mount Hood?

Post by baker9903 » October 22nd, 2009, 4:07 pm

Yet another alternative for southeastern suburbs off 205: take 212 directly to 26. It shaves off 20 minutes for us going to Sandy and anything eastward. It took us a year to figure out that little shortcut because it isn't in any guidebooks.

OneSpeed

Post by OneSpeed » October 22nd, 2009, 4:17 pm

baker9903 wrote:Yet another alternative for southeastern suburbs off 205: take 212 directly to 26. It shaves off 20 minutes for us going to Sandy and anything eastward. It took us a year to figure out that little shortcut because it isn't in any guidebooks.
That is a good one. In my book I always just say "Take 26 to (whatever place)" and let people figure out for themselves how to get there. I take 84 to Troutdale and then the back roads (Orient, etc.) to Sandy. But I just happen to like nurseries and old country stores.

-Q-

Post by -Q- » October 27th, 2009, 8:28 pm

Hiked up to Ramona Falls this afternoon. Snow started just after the crossing of the Sandy. About 1/2-1" for the next mile. Snow got progressively deeper. Maybe 3-4" for the last mile before the falls. I took the creek route up/back.
Not much foliage left. Some nice color near the Yokum Ridge cliffs, but other then that its mostly white due to snow.

It snowed for about half the day today. Upper reaches of Hood probably got quite a bit.

Clouds cleared to reveal Bald Mountain on the hike out. The open meadows were covered in snow.

Snowline maybe 3000 feet now

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » October 29th, 2009, 11:40 pm

We normally have a couple more melt-offs below 7-8,000 feet until Thanksgiving, or so... so there's a chance that this last batch will clear enough for more hikes above the treeline (sans snowshoes). But I'm glad I got up there last Saturday... I doubt we'll have a lot of sunny days before Turkey Day and the snow that follows..!

Tom :)

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » November 3rd, 2009, 6:37 pm

A friend is talking about hiking a few miles around Tilly Jane tomorrow... what's the snow situation up there, does anyone know?

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » November 3rd, 2009, 10:21 pm

Here you go, Adam - from Sunday afternoon:

I was actually hiking over by Bennett Pass, but basically the same conditions on the east side, in general: 3-6" deep patches of crusty snow here and there, and much less (in general) than on the west side of the mountain at the same elevation. Looks like that will all change on Thursday... enjoy the last day of alpine hiking for awhile..!

Tom :)