Latest snow level around Mount Hood?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
OneSpeed

Latest snow level around Mount Hood?

Post by OneSpeed » October 21st, 2009, 8:56 am

I guess I'm too lazy to go through trip reports. Who's been up around 4-5,000 feet on the mountain lately? What's the snow situation? Specifically, I am thinking about the Vista Ridge area.

Thanks!

pdxgene

Re: Latest snow level around Mount Hood?

Post by pdxgene » October 21st, 2009, 10:06 am

There's no cameras, and usually a bit more snow, on that side but the Timberline Lodge cams and the forest service cam looking south from Timberline both show only small scattered patches and there's rain currently falling on what little is left.

weathercrazy

Post by weathercrazy » October 21st, 2009, 11:05 am

Snow level will be plummeting next week to around 3,000' though!

funhog

Post by funhog » October 21st, 2009, 5:51 pm

We went to Burnt Lake last Friday. There was not a bit of snow to be seen then and the road cams show Blue Box Pass clear today but who knows with this latest storm?

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » October 21st, 2009, 6:05 pm

Today was up past Burnt Lake and onto East Zig Zag - no views but no snow (or any sign of it)

DSR

Post by DSR » October 22nd, 2009, 7:42 am

I was on Mt Hood Oct 12 heading for McNeil shelter. There was a lot of snow on the Timberline Trail from about 5000 ft. up. I could only make it about 200 yds above the junction up to McNeil before there were no more tracks and the snow was too deep. So, I hiked over to Cairn Basin instead. There was still snow, but it was hikeable. The next day (Oct 13) there was a big snow fall down to about 3500, but it was followed by warm rain, and it has been raining up to about 7000 ft since then. My guess is that there is still some hiking up around 5000 ft with patches of snow in open area. But, be careful, it will be slick.

OneSpeed

Post by OneSpeed » October 22nd, 2009, 11:58 am

I drove to the Vista Ridge trailhead today (4,500') and saw no snow anywhere on the road or trail. I only went up the trail about 100 yards, though. And if you're wondering, this was all so I could check driving directions for a book.

I am starting to wonder if maybe it's a better drive going through Hood River, anyway.

I can report, with certainty, that the baked pears are outstanding at Apple Valley Country Store just south of Hood River. They're in a crust, with a sweet sauce, and the coffee is only a buck. Mmmmm.

rosecity

Post by rosecity » October 22nd, 2009, 1:00 pm

I think that it is easier to drive through Hood River. It may be about the same time, but I prefer the drive.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » October 22nd, 2009, 1:03 pm

From my home in Troutdale, it takes exactly the same amount of time (to the nearest 5 minutes) to get to the Vista Ridge trailhead via Hood River or via Sandy. Via Hood River there's less unpaved road and all those wonderful fruit stands and fall foliage in the Hood River Valley. On the other hand, via Hood River there's that 45 minutes on I-84 with all those "racing" trucks (the truck going 62 mph passing the truck going 61 mph). Late Sunday afternoon, the I-84 traffic going towards Portland can be rather horrendous. Of course, so can the traffic on US 26.

OneSpeed

Post by OneSpeed » October 22nd, 2009, 1:26 pm

See, that's what I'm thinking -- less gravel and the same amount of time. Besides, anybody starting in Portland -- unless they live in SE and go out Powell -- has to go to Troutdale, anyway. Hmm.