Salmonberry River?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Cattrapper

Salmonberry River?

Post by Cattrapper » July 13th, 2008, 2:08 pm

Hi, does anyone know if this trail might still be hikeable? This has been on my todo list for a couple years as an easy first backpack trip for my wife, but I've never done it before myself. I know that the railroad was pretty well devistated by the storms over the winter, including some of the river crossings being washed out. Just wondering if it would be doable later this summer, once water levels have dropped a bit.

Darin
"Come visit us again and again. This is a state of excitement. But for heaven's sake, don't move here to live." Tom McCall

retired jerry

Re: Salmonberry River?

Post by retired jerry » July 13th, 2008, 3:12 pm

I went about halfway up from the bottom last winter. see http://portlandhikers.com/forums/thread/29143.aspx

It's straightforward to hike, but there are a few difficult places.

I stopped about halfway where there was a difficult washout, but it would be easier now because it's dry.

I talked to a couple people that went all the way from the top.

Cattrapper

Post by Cattrapper » July 13th, 2008, 6:33 pm

Thank you Jerry, great trip report and amazing photos! Seems it most not be as difficult to get through as I had thought.

If anyone has been all the way through, or even just done an out and back from the east end, please chime in on conditions.

Also, any suggestions on a place to stop for the night, about mid-way, would be great.
"Come visit us again and again. This is a state of excitement. But for heaven's sake, don't move here to live." Tom McCall

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 13th, 2008, 8:46 pm

I camped at a wide area where there was a piece of construction equipment about 3 miles from the West end. Just East of there, there was a bridge, and a nice area to camp next to the river away from the railroad tracks.

There were two guys that had come from the East end, carrying suitcases, so taking them at face value, it's possible to go all the way. I got to 5 miles from the West end, and there was this washout that was difficult so I turned around, but it was doable, especially now when it's not muddy.

Cattrapper

Post by Cattrapper » July 14th, 2008, 3:17 am

Carring suitcases huh :lol: , that's interesting!