Boulder / Bonanza Loop?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Guy

Boulder / Bonanza Loop?

Post by Guy » June 24th, 2009, 5:48 am

With the help of a car shuttle we are looking to go up the Boulder trail, hike around a bit then down the Bonanza trail on Saturday. I was also wondering if anyone knows anything about the 2 trails between Boulder & Bonanza that I've labeled T1 & T2?

Also if anyone knows of any interesting diversions we should look for along the route I'd love to hear about them :)
map2.jpg
Many Thanks
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Martell

Re: Boulder / Bonanza Loop?

Post by Martell » June 24th, 2009, 9:20 am

One of those is the Plaza Trail. It actually shows up on this topo too, with a label: http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org ... _Trailhead

I think it is an abandoned trail. Someone on here hiked it a while back- maybe it was Pablo?
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

pablo

Post by pablo » June 24th, 2009, 3:19 pm

Martell wrote:One of those is the Plaza Trail. It actually shows up on this topo too, with a label: http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org ... _Trailhead

I think it is an abandoned trail. Someone on here hiked it a while back- maybe it was Pablo?
T2 is indeed the northern part of the Plaza trail. There is a mention of it being overgrown in the Lowe's 50 hiking trails (C 1986). I have not hiked that section, the bottom part ends up in private ground as does this map's T1 trail, the Arrah Wanna trail. They are both on my list if I can figure out how to avoid getting shot at. Retire_jerry (I think) said he spotted the Arrah Wanna trailhead and no 'No Trespassing' signs.

Isn't parking at Wildwood a problem? I keep reading about $5.00 a visit day use only.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Martell

Post by Martell » June 24th, 2009, 3:33 pm

You can park at Hwy 26 and it's ~.5 mile to the Wildwood trailhead. There are a couple spots to park.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

Guy

Post by Guy » June 24th, 2009, 9:22 pm

Thanks for all the info guys, I checked out Retired_Jerry's post on the Arrah Wanna Trailhead. Sounds like there is still access to that. Perhaps an expedition up that then down the Plaza. If we couldn't get out the end of the plaza trail head with out being shot at we'd just have to turn around & go back the way we came. :D
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

raven

Post by raven » June 24th, 2009, 9:44 pm

Guy, perhaps in a different season.

Years ago, maybe 20, I tried to descend via T2. I had reached the divide from above readily enough, and the divide was obvious enough. Where T2 entered wet areas it was hard to find. At one point I felt a corduroy surface -- slabs nailed to horizontal stringers -- with my feet, then parted the vegetation to confirm that I was indeed on the trail still or again. Then I lost it permanently, probably at a buried switchback, and bushwhacked down.

I suspect T1 is dryer and more obvious than T2, so a first explore there makes sense, as well as having it for a return if T2 is lost. Perhaps winter is a better time for exploring these trails, after leaves have dropped. Marking them would allow usage to be maintained.

I once bushwhacked up the ridge just south of T2; if I remember correctly, the bushwhack was easier than T2. (I was probably in shorts both times.) A bailout option, should you want one.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 25th, 2009, 3:08 pm

I was just up there. Only enough time to go a short ways up Boulder Ridge.

It costs $5 (I think) per day at Wildowood. If you park at highway 26 it doesn't cost anything but there are these warning signs that say car break-ins are common there. Maybe that's just the BLM wanting you to park where you have to pay $5 :)

Like I said, the Arrah Wanna "trailhead" seems wide-open with no no-trespassing signs or anything. I only went a short ways up.

If I had more time, I'de try going down from the Plaza/Boulder Ridge trail, on the Arrah Wanna trail, knowing that if I got all the way down I wouldn't run into a barbed wire fence and barking dog forcing me to retrace my steps.

Guy

Post by Guy » June 26th, 2009, 4:19 pm

Thanks for the great info guys, sounds like Fall would be best then!

Funnily enough yesterday Lowe's book 100 Hikes in Oregon (published in 1969) arrived (I picked it up on Amazon for $3.00)
Anyway Hike 37 in the book is this very part of the Plaza trail that we have been talking about. It does include very detailed (if 40 years old!) directions on how to find the trailhead so i might take a drive up & a peak around at least.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors