Hike into the Crater of Mt St Helens

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Don Nelsen

Re: Hike into the Crater of Mt St Helens

Post by Don Nelsen » November 23rd, 2014, 5:41 pm

Of course, there is another way to visit the crater:

This guy's trip ended ok, though I'm sure his respect for cornices has increased:

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/ ... ll14m.html

This one's trip did not end so well:

http://www.kgw.com/story/news/2014/07/18/11660356/

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

romann

Post by romann » November 23rd, 2014, 7:53 pm

This new plan replaces a planned trail to Sugar Bowl, which was going to be on the same reservation system used for the summit. It's still looking like a great hike, with similar vantage point, but for $300 fee - it's just too steep (the price, not the hike) :o

Let's hope another paid hike on MSH won't get very popular, it's slippery slope...
Forest Service planners were previously considering the climbing route up the Sugar Bowl shown in red but decided it was too dangerous. They now prefer a route somewhere within area marked in green

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » November 24th, 2014, 6:13 am

Thanks for that link, Roman. Reading that article is pretty infuriating... :evil: How can the USFS possibly blast a trail across Whittier Ridge, and show it as any other on their maps, while considering a route to Sugar Bowl "too dangerous"?
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » November 24th, 2014, 9:18 pm

kepPNW wrote:How can the USFS possibly blast a trail across Whittier Ridge, and show it as any other on their maps, while considering a route to Sugar Bowl "too dangerous"?
I think it's because Whittier Ridge is mostly solid rock, whereas the Sugar Bowl area is a lot of loose cinders and ash.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » November 25th, 2014, 6:44 am

adamschneider wrote:
kepPNW wrote:How can the USFS possibly blast a trail across Whittier Ridge, and show it as any other on their maps, while considering a route to Sugar Bowl "too dangerous"?
I think it's because Whittier Ridge is mostly solid rock, whereas the Sugar Bowl area is a lot of loose cinders and ash.
Boy, talk about a guy who takes hyperbole literally! ;) Yeah, yeah, but still... Sure seems like a gift to MSHI. Either it's "safe enough" to hike (in a group or otherwise) or it's not. Can't see it being any safer because you bought a $300 ticket for the ride.
Karl

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » November 25th, 2014, 7:36 am

Wait until it's really snowy all over back in there (maybe it is now) and put on your winter camo and go for it!

Would be a fun OT adventure for sure to be able to hike up in there without worrying about he 5-0 coming after you :)

Isn't Whittier mostly a natural ridge trail anyway? I can only think of a few spots that might have been blasted to make that trail...

Water

Post by Water » November 26th, 2014, 12:47 pm

ya'll went and done it now! Mentioning the MSHI and fees and permits!!! ohhh no... lol :lol:

MSHI, while I have no problem with non-profits or government grants to good organizations, is a total racket with the permitting system, specifically. MSHI themselves get $5 of every permit sold on MSH. $2 goes to a processing company (who admins the web & mails you your permits) and $15 goes to the forest service. I have been told that the MSHI provides a service of having water, sunscreen, snacks, and people who will wipe your butt for you when you climb the southside unprepared in the summer. But from what I read they are an all volunteer crew. I am sure some fine individuals volunteer for this, no doubt. But I am confused about why I am required to pay a private non-profit if I wish to legally access the mountain during certain dates, and why as a user I cannot find any detailed accountability (990s tell nothing) about how those monies are specifically spent to maintain and protect the climbing route as stated on their website. At $50,000+ a year in fees generated I have just had a very difficult time visibly seeing where that much money would have been spent on materials or labor resources on the climb route(s).

Using websites that capture historical snapshots of mshinstitute.org the website says this currently:
The total permit fee of $22 includes a $5 service charge which goes towards the MSHI Mountain Stewards Volunteer Program to help maintain and protect the climbing routes.
prior to that, for a number of years it said:
The MSHI online vendor is a secure site that accepts all major credit and debit cards. The total fee of $22 covers the permit fee, a $5 donation to the MSHI Mountain Stewards Program to maintain and protect the climb route, and a $2 service charge.

biggest racket ever, maintain and protect the climb route. I am very confused about the route needing protection in a national volcanic monument. $50,000+ a year is a travesty if they're going to lie about where the money actually goes. At least be honest and say its for educational or awareness uses and not actually used on the climb route itself, or that only X,XXX is spent to replace those wooden posts, if they actually pay for that (and not the Forest Service..)

side note I tried to be involved in the commenting during the scoping and EA statements as they developed the new north side hike/climb. I was told by a forest service agent I'd be put on the working group list and emailed when each new draft came out (I had commented on one as the way it was worded clearly allowed for the possibility of a new route to be developed but for it to never be available to the public except through MSHI guided trips). This was around when I hurt my foot and needed foot surgery but I even emailed after a month of hearing nothing. Finally two 3-months later I tried a few more avenues of contact with the FS agent and was told everything was 'done'. When I asked about why I had not received any information and asked (replied, with time stamp of original emails) if any of my follow up emails had been received I was told no. mysteriously they managed to get my emails before my comment and after things had closed. I'm not suggesting grand conspiracy but I think they'd rather not hear anything when it comes to comments and public input on their already planned plans.
Last edited by Water on November 26th, 2014, 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feel Free to Feel Free

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » November 26th, 2014, 1:05 pm

Water wrote:how those monies are specifically spent to maintain and protect the climbing route as stated on their website. At $50,000+ a year in fees generated I have just had a very difficult time visibly seeing where that much money would have been spent on materials or labor resources on the climb route(s).
Criminals. :evil:
Karl

Water

Post by Water » November 26th, 2014, 1:59 pm

You could call it criminal but I simply find it to lack transparency, be a sweetheart deal, and a glossing/stretch of where/how the money is used. Whether that rises to a criminal threshold or not, I don't know. My TV courtroom education says fraud is intent to deceive in order to profit? Or just intent to deceive? I don't actually believe an employee or a board member has a new Tesla sports car each year. What I do wonder if just how much money gets spent on more discretionary things like 'events' which might have excess spending? Their 990 just shows revenues and expenditures, and I'm sure that legal threshold has been met.

again using internet history, the staff of MSHI was listed as 4 people in 2011. As of checking today a staff of 15 people are listed.
Feel Free to Feel Free