Favorite rainy day hikes?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
-Q-

Re: Favorite rainy day hikes?

Post by -Q- » November 19th, 2014, 5:08 pm

kelkev wrote:Silver Falls is a classic rainy day hike for me!
Curious Kelkev... whats the location of the picture under your name??

Zia

Post by Zia » November 19th, 2014, 5:36 pm

Thanks guys! I appreciate the feedback. I didn't even think of Henline Mt. which isn't too far away, and Falls Creek Falls became one of my favorite waterfall hikes this year. I like the idea of a nice rain forest type hike. Lots of great options to choose from. Now on to the next difficult step, choosing which one. So many choices... :D

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » November 19th, 2014, 9:43 pm

I would also add the Lewis River Trail and the Dry Creek or Trapper Creek Trails in SW Washington. All of them are fun in the rain(and prettier too!).

My favorite place to hike in the rain is probably the coast range though.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » November 20th, 2014, 6:14 am

Sean Thomas wrote:My favorite place to hike in the rain is probably the coast range though.
Maximal Damplitude!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Zia

Post by Zia » November 20th, 2014, 6:31 am

kepPNW wrote:
Sean Thomas wrote:My favorite place to hike in the rain is probably the coast range though.
Maximal Damplitude!
:lol: very true!

Thinking of going to Tamanawas Falls. Have never been there and its a nice easy hike to get my legs back into hiking shape after so long off the trail. Currently watching snow levels etc in that area.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 20th, 2014, 7:40 am

I wonder if West side of Cascades is more maximal damplitude?

Because there's more elevation. Or damplivation?

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » November 20th, 2014, 7:48 am

retired jerry wrote:I wonder if West side of Cascades is more maximal damplitude?
Nope. Wettest spots in OR & WA are in Coast and Olympic ranges. First rise catches the most rain.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 20th, 2014, 7:57 am

NOAA climate:

Yeah, like around Lee's Camp twice as much

But still pretty wet like on Multnomah County/Hood River County line

Maybe don't live in Sandy, Estacada, Rhododendron, Zigzag?

Peder

Post by Peder » November 20th, 2014, 8:05 am

Thinking of going to Tamanawas Falls. Have never been there and its a nice easy hike to get my legs back into hiking shape after so long off the trail. Currently watching snow levels etc in that area.
That is a wonderful hike at any time of the year (mind times with excessive amounts of snow!) and in any weather. I would bring an umbrella!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

BigBear

Post by BigBear » November 20th, 2014, 10:24 am

I strongly disagree that "all hikes are good rainy day hikes" almost as much as I would disagree with the statement "all hikes are good sunny day hikes."

On the 1st statement, I hate sweating in my raingear to get to a summit with no view. On the latter, photos of waterfalls on a sunny day highlight the black-and-white contrast and minimize the green and blue colors that most people hope to see in their forests and water features.

So, with that premise stated, look for the hikes which feature water and forest, but not alpine vistas. The ones which come to mind are Eagle Creek, Herman Creek (where it always seems to rain?), Wahkeena-Multnomah Creek, Elowah & Tanner Creek, Silver Creek, Klickitat River, and on other years the 2 Clackamas River trails. Also Forest Park, Vernonia Banks LT, Gales Creek-Storey Burn Loop are good forested walks. Don't forget the wildlife refuges, too.

For those who like the summits on bad weather days, more power to you. I know that Dog Mountain during an Easter hail storm has far more solitude than on a sunny Memorial Day when the hikers could hold hands in one long string from the summit to the parking lot.