What Trails to Hike When Portland Weather Turns Nasty?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
forestkeeper

What Trails to Hike When Portland Weather Turns Nasty?

Post by forestkeeper » October 24th, 2014, 6:38 pm

Hey everyone. Is there any specific areas I can go (about a hour or so) from Portland when the Metro area weather turn's nasty? Like tomorrow, for instance. Portland's weather is going to be wet and windy. While I have been doing 4 mile hikes in the rain nearly every day before work, this week, I'm not fond of hiking when the wind get's up to 40 mph. :o :? Do you think that Klickitat River trail would be a good fair weather trail? Or the Deschutes River trail? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Will

retired jerry

Re: What Trails to Hike When Portland Weather Turns Nasty?

Post by retired jerry » October 24th, 2014, 6:51 pm

Farther East the better, and lower elevation the better

Deschutes is best. Klickitat is good. Catherine Creek. Dog Mountain. Metolius River.

Sometimes, just over the Cascade crest is okay, like East side of Jefferson or Three Sisters.

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » October 24th, 2014, 7:07 pm

:D Awesome! Thanks Jerry!!!

mcds

Post by mcds » October 24th, 2014, 7:16 pm

Jack Lake TH on east side of three Finger Jack looks reasonable for tomorrow, as does Sisters.

drm

Post by drm » October 25th, 2014, 7:42 am

Going east is good for avoiding the rain, not so much the wind. Klickitat Trail, particularly from Harms Road can be REALLY windy. The whole Coyote Wall / Catherine Creek area is really susceptible to wind as well. I'm heading to Herman Creek - with my umbrella. I've never had it be windy there, but it will certainly rain. At least it will be falling down rather than sideways.

jdemott

Post by jdemott » October 25th, 2014, 8:14 am

Avoiding rain usually requires a drive of more than an hour. Catherine Creek (about 90 minutes for me, maybe less from east Portland) often seems to be about as close as you can get and still have the benefits of drier weather. Farther east, the odds get better. As we get closer to winter, those areas are likely to be very cold. Fall colors are nice in the eastern part of the Gorge now.

Closer to Portland, some of the lower elevation Gorge hikes (like Eagle Creek and Herman Creek) are at least sheltered from the wind, but still rainy, and offer decent hiking throughout the winter, unless there is ice. If you can put up with the rain, you can enjoy Eagle creek without the crowds. :)