Snow today...UGGGGG!!!!

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
mcds

Re: Snow today...UGGGGG!!!!

Post by mcds » October 23rd, 2014, 3:45 pm

adamschneider wrote: It's like those silly statistics that say "most car accidents occur within 5 miles of your home!" or "The Honda Accord is the most-stolen car!" Um, yeah... where do we do most of our driving? And which cars are the most common? Just once, I'd like to see them report RATES instead of raw numbers!
I agree. Silly for mass consumption. Most stats though, even the "The Honda Accord is the most-stolen car!", are useful, just not to everyone. An entrepreneur might want to tune the marketing of their anti-theft device to the demographics of the owners of the most-stolen car. Or an inventor might want to work on a way to prevent crashes that works in rain rather than snow, as it would have a larger benefit to society. Even so, I would like to have seen what went into determining the crash figures (74%, 46%, ...), maybe through a footnote, or citing a publication. Claims ought to be backed up, not that I haven't said that before.

here are a couple more reports:

http://www.forbes.com/2009/01/21/car-ac ... iving.html

http://www.futurity.org/dry-roads-most- ... e-drivers/
men younger than 45 showed a 21 percent higher likelihood of severe injury while driving on dry roads than on wet roads, and a 72 percent higher likelihood of severe injury on a dry road than on snowy and icy roads

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » October 23rd, 2014, 6:36 pm

adamschneider wrote:
forestkeeper wrote:Let's just admire the beautiful snow in the hills, ok? ;) :lol:
Hear hear; there's no good reason for snow down here near sea level. Those who love it can always go visit it in the mountains where it belongs!
AMEN!! This is not Minnesota. We don't have enough snowplows to properly deal with snow (nor should we invest in more, since we don't get enough snow to make that a cost-effective purchase). And drivers here don't get enough practice to know how to safely drive in the snow, not to mention that we have way more hills than all those snowy Midwest cities.

drm

Post by drm » October 24th, 2014, 7:36 am

adamschneider wrote:Those who love it can always go visit it in the mountains where it belongs!
Or live where it snows. Here in White Salmon we seem to get one relatively big (i.e. at least 6 inches) snow a year and a bunch of smaller ones as well. This works for me. I'm at about 600 feet. Hood River is just a few hundred feet lower and gets less snow. I'd say there are about 2 days per year that I can't get my Subaru up my 100 yard long gravel driveway.

romann

Post by romann » October 26th, 2014, 2:05 pm

Looks like fairly significant snow today in high country & first snow at pass levels. From weather.gov (link):
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PORTLAND HAS ISSUED A WINTER
WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 PM PDT
THIS AFTERNOON.

* TIMING...NOW THROUGH THIS AFTERNOON

* ACCUMULATION...3 TO 6 INCHES ABOVE 4000 TO 4500 FEET. 4 TO 8
INCHES CLOSER TO 6000 FEET.

* SNOW LEVELS...4000 TO 4500 FEET.

* PASSES OF HIGHEST CONCERN...A RAIN OR WET SNOW MIX IS EXPECTED
AT GOVERNMENT CAMP ALONG HIGHWAY 26 TODAY. HOWEVER...SNOW LEVELS
AND SNOWFALL RATES WILL REMAIN INTENSE ENOUGH TO BRING PERIODS
OF SNOW COVERED ROADS TO SANTIAM AND WILLAMETTE PASSES...AND
ALONG THE HIGHWAY BETWEEN GOVERNMENT CAMP AND TIMBERLINE TODAY.
Liked they say "city of Mount St. Helens" in the locations list. Did they refer to hunters' tent city around the mountain? :)

drm

Post by drm » October 26th, 2014, 3:19 pm

Sho' nuff:
P1020613.JPG
P1020616.JPG
near TT jcn

Limey

Post by Limey » October 26th, 2014, 3:51 pm

Wow DRM, I would not have expected that much at that trailhead. My hubby called this morning as he was driving through Ukiah getting snowed on. Looks like I better buy some snowshoes.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » October 26th, 2014, 4:40 pm

It was an interesting day weatherwise: On my way back from Coyote Wall I ran into a very severe rainstorm just after I passed the powerhouse on Hy14. The rain continued to intensify and by the time I got a little past Beacon Rock it turned to hail which was completely covering the road! It let up a little over the next couple of miles and then again about Prindle, the road was covered in hail though the main force of the storm had passed that point. I'm very glad I had finished my hike for the day and wondered about the hikers still on the trail in that area.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

-Q-

Post by -Q- » October 28th, 2014, 4:27 pm

ARRRRGGGG!!!
:x :cry:

I have patiently been waiting months for the first weekend in November to roll around so I could hike the Pamelia Lake-Hanks Lake-Hunts Lake-Hunts Cove hike. Stupid permit system.

Its gotta be under quite a bit of snow right now for the most part.

C'mon rain, MELT MELT MELT

Crusak

Post by Crusak » October 28th, 2014, 5:13 pm

-Q- wrote:ARRRRGGGG!!!

I have patiently been waiting months for the first weekend in November to roll around so I could hike the Pamelia Lake-Hanks Lake-Hunts Lake-Hunts Cove hike. Stupid permit system.

I was just thinking the same thing last night - go to Pamelia to do that loop soon (in November when a permit is not required). :( I wonder how much snow is at 5600-5800' down there?
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

-Q-

Post by -Q- » October 28th, 2014, 5:28 pm

Crusak wrote:
-Q- wrote:ARRRRGGGG!!!

I was just thinking the same thing last night - go to Pamelia to do that loop soon (in November when a permit is not required). :( I wonder how much snow is at 5600-5800' down there?
I bet there is a bunch based on the webcams from around Hoodoo.
The big loop takes you to about 6000' feet too. Thats gotta have like 6-8" at this point.