Snow today...UGGGGG!!!!

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
drm

Re: Snow today...UGGGGG!!!!

Post by drm » October 16th, 2014, 10:00 am

adamschneider wrote:
drm wrote:The new hood. For now.
Holy cow, that looks like more than just a dusting!
Higher up it was. Higher than most of us ever get.
adamschneider wrote:I wonder what it's like up at Indian Heaven; I was considering a hike there this weekend.
My guess: just soggy.

The peaks may have gotten a dusting but I doubt much if any snow fell there otherwise. The nearest Snotel, at Surprise Lakes (4290') indicates one inch of snow and 3.3 inches of liquid precip this week. Expect plenty of ponding on the trails.

romann

Post by romann » October 16th, 2014, 10:26 am

This morning on a drive to work got a close look at Mt. Hood - so white with fresh snow :)

But looks like on S side it melted out quite a bit above timberline - maybe up to 8500 feet. On other sides of the mountain, snow's still down to the tree line.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » October 16th, 2014, 10:44 am

drm wrote:The nearest Snotel, at Surprise Lakes (4290') indicates one inch of snow and 3.3 inches of liquid precip this week. Expect plenty of ponding on the trails.
Oh yeah, ponding. :( I just remembered that last year I was wondering whether that whole damn area is underlain by impermeable rock just below the surface, because nothing ever seems to soak into the ground!

drm

Post by drm » October 16th, 2014, 2:35 pm

adamschneider wrote:I just remembered that last year I was wondering whether that whole damn area is underlain by impermeable rock just below the surface, because nothing ever seems to soak into the ground!
Actually I think it has to do with the special geological qualities associated with thick mats of dead mosquitoes that have accumulated over the eons. Holds in the water, makes more ponds, helps more mosquitoes. You get the idea. In 10,000 years there will be one bug cloud of them hovering over the place for 3 months of the year. :oops:

-Q-

Post by -Q- » October 16th, 2014, 3:44 pm

Looks like almost all the snow has melted in this afternoon's webcam shots.
YIPPEE :P

As a sidenote, I do snowshoe, and I love snowshoeing, but I will take dry snowfree trails for hiking anyday. Last winter was a hikers dream :D

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » October 16th, 2014, 6:55 pm

Doesn't look like much has melted: Here is a pic I took late this afternoon from Larch Mountain

"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

-Q-

Post by -Q- » October 17th, 2014, 9:15 am

Noooooo Don, say it ain't so

Actually, I saw the same thing from Mt Tabor last night.
Hood and St Helens both snow covered.
:(

romann

Post by romann » October 17th, 2014, 11:07 am

Hmm... Now that I think about it, could be the shadow from the cloud on the S side, that tricked me to think S side has melted out so much ;). Seems very unlikely that one side (even sun exposed one) would melt thousands of feet above the timberline while other side would not.

At least the timberline cam shows it melted right above the lodge. Really cool site BTW because I come home when it's already dark so other webcams are of no use to me - this one has timelapse video & even videos of prior days.

IslandCougGirl

Post by IslandCougGirl » October 19th, 2014, 6:07 pm

Brace yourself.......winter is coming. Cue the GOT meme's.

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » October 19th, 2014, 11:03 pm

No snow on Defiance as of Saturday night but a lot of rain. Not that anyone expected much up there or anyting but thought id share :)