What would be your first day hike on Mt Adams?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
mjuliana

Re: What would be your first day hike on Mt Adams?

Post by mjuliana » August 21st, 2014, 9:32 pm

-Q- wrote: If I could only choose one hike, it would probably be Bird Creek Meadows/Hellroaring Viewpoint via the South Climb TH.
This approach yields Gotchen Creek Meadows, Crooked Creek Meadows, Bird Creek Meadows, Aiken Lava Flow and Hellroaring Viewpoint. Can't go wrong.
I hiked this on a beautiful sunny Saturday last year and did not see another hiker between South Climb and Bird Creek. Totally empty. Very awesome.
Is the South Climb TH also known as Cold Springs TH? Do these directions look right?
Cross the Hood Rive Bridge and follow Highway 141 North from White Salon for 22 miles. Drive North from the town of Trout Lake on Road #23/Mt. Adams Area Recreational Road for 1.4 miles until the road hits a Y. Take the right fort to merge onto Road #80 and drive for .6 miles. Turn left to follow road #80 and right onto Road #8040 (a gravel road). Follow the road to Morrison Creek Campground, and (roughly 10 miles) and turn right onto Road #500 to Cold Springs Trailhead.

Thanks again for all of the help.
Thanks,
Mike J

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » August 22nd, 2014, 12:00 am

mjuliana wrote:Is the South Climb TH also known as Cold Springs TH? Do these directions look right?
Yes and yes. And the road kinda sucks.

mjuliana

Post by mjuliana » August 22nd, 2014, 9:33 am

adamschneider wrote:
mjuliana wrote:Is the South Climb TH also known as Cold Springs TH? Do these directions look right?
Thanks Adam. One more question - NW Forest Pass and Volcano Pass needed?
Thanks,
Mike J

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 22nd, 2014, 9:46 am

mjuliana wrote:
adamschneider wrote:
Thanks Adam. One more question - NW Forest Pass and Volcano Pass needed?
NW Forest Pass at the TH.

Technically, if you go above 7000' you need the Volcano Pass, but that's (purportedly) only a concern on the actual climbing route.

I was also told (by USFS) that on the reservation a Yakama Ranger may ask for $5 to cover their permit, so carry a little cash just in case you should happen to encounter one.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

mjuliana

Post by mjuliana » August 22nd, 2014, 12:25 pm

kepPNW wrote: Technically, if you go above 7000' you need the Volcano Pass, but that's (purportedly) only a concern on the actual climbing route.

I was also told (by USFS) that on the reservation a Yakama Ranger may ask for $5 to cover their permit, so carry a little cash just in case you should happen to encounter one.
Thanks Karl!
Any tips on getting up to Iceberg Lake?
Thanks,
Mike J

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 22nd, 2014, 12:46 pm

mjuliana wrote:Any tips on getting up to Iceberg Lake?
Just head uphill from Hellroaring Viewpoint. You'll see a huge moraine ahead, and need to get past that. The temptation is to head to the right, and go up what appears to be a gently sloped ridge. Don't! It's really loose, and just tedious as hell. Instead, take a higher line to the left, and a more direct scramble straight up the middle of the moraine. It's no less loose or otherwise irritating, but you're over the pain quicker. Once on top of that, there's a rough trail going up. Follow that until you see an orange "X" on a rock to your right, at which point you dive off the far side to cross a crazy-looking snowfield, and then just follow your nose to the lake. :)

The view from the point at which you dive off towards the snowfield: http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=d0a ... 8961e15f46

The good (invisible), bad (green), and ugly (orange) approaches to the moraine:
20140808_5311_rt.jpg
If you look at my track, the way I went down is how I'd recommend you go up. Either way, you probably won't die. ;)

http://gpsfly.org/gps_map.php?gps_id=3542&w=645&h=440

Have fun!
Karl

-Q-

Post by -Q- » August 22nd, 2014, 3:44 pm

kepPNW wrote:
I thought the $5 was a parking fee at the Bird Creek Meadows TH. Its actually a trail use fee??
In any regards, I have never met a Yakama Ranger in all my visits up there.
I paid the fee at the Bird Creek TH, but obviously nothing when approaching from South Climb.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 22nd, 2014, 3:53 pm

High Camp from Killen Creek Trail

Yeah, there are many people, but that's because it's a nice hike.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 22nd, 2014, 3:57 pm

-Q- wrote:
kepPNW wrote:I was also told (by USFS) that on the reservation a Yakama Ranger may ask for $5 to cover their permit, so carry a little cash just in case you should happen to encounter one.
I thought the $5 was a parking fee at the Bird Creek Meadows TH. Its actually a trail use fee??
In any regards, I have never met a Yakama Ranger in all my visits up there.
I paid the fee at the Bird Creek TH, but obviously nothing when approaching from South Climb.
No idea. Just repeating what the rangers in Trout Lake told me. ("Carry cash!") I didn't pay either. Or see any rangers.
Karl