What would be your first day hike on Mt Adams?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
mjuliana

What would be your first day hike on Mt Adams?

Post by mjuliana » August 21st, 2014, 10:35 am

Mt Adams is not a place we have ventured to yet so I'm looking for recommendations for a good way to meet the mountain. Probably looking for something in the 8-15 mile range. Trip would be this Saturday. :D
Thanks,
Mike J

-Q-

Re: What would be your first day hike on Mt Adams?

Post by -Q- » August 21st, 2014, 10:53 am

Few suggestions...

Bird Creek Meadows from the South Climb TH
Foggy Flats from the Muddy Meadows TH
Horseshoe Meadows/Lookingglass Lake via Stagman Ridge Trail
High Camp from the Divide Camp Trail (much less crowded than Killen Creek, gotta cross Adams Creek though which is sometimes knarly)
Riley Meadows/Sheep Lake via Riley Camp Trail
Horseshoe Meadows via the PCT

Mt Adams is awesome :P

BeaverDawg

Post by BeaverDawg » August 21st, 2014, 11:04 am

I second Q's reply. You cant go wrong up at Adams. Bird Creek Meadows has incredible flower displays and High Camp via either Killen Cr. or Divide Camp is an alpine wonderland. Enjoy! PS: There have been some recent reports of heavy bug activity so be prepared.

mjuliana

Post by mjuliana » August 21st, 2014, 12:16 pm

-Q- wrote:Few suggestions...

Bird Creek Meadows from the South Climb TH
Foggy Flats from the Muddy Meadows TH
Horseshoe Meadows/Lookingglass Lake via Stagman Ridge Trail
High Camp from the Divide Camp Trail (much less crowded than Killen Creek, gotta cross Adams Creek though which is sometimes knarly)
Riley Meadows/Sheep Lake via Riley Camp Trail
Horseshoe Meadows via the PCT

Mt Adams is awesome :P
BeaverDawg wrote:I second Q's reply. You cant go wrong up at Adams. Bird Creek Meadows has incredible flower displays and High Camp via either Killen Cr. or Divide Camp is an alpine wonderland. Enjoy! PS: There have been some recent reports of heavy bug activity so be prepared.
Thanks guys. If you had to pick one...???
Thanks,
Mike J

drm

Post by drm » August 21st, 2014, 12:52 pm

If you want really alpine/glaciers/goat-sighting-chance, go for High Camp via Killen (most recent report indicates there are still mosquitoes here).

If you want flowers and little lakes and mtn views, do Bird Creek loop from Bird Lake, with add-on to Hellroaring Viewpoint .If you do this, you absolutely have to include the western part of the loop past Crooked Creek. I've heard though that Hellroaring Viewpoint can be really crowded - as in dozens of people - on weekends. Crooked Creek will be almost deserted. Flowers are past their peak, but still quite numerous. Mosquitoes are done and past here.

Both of those have dirt road approaches that while doable for any car, are nonetheless slow.

-Q-

Post by -Q- » August 21st, 2014, 1:04 pm

Bug, flower & berry conditions update as of 8/16-8/17 when I hiked up Riley Camp to PCT to Adams Creek on 8/16, then PCT to Riley Camp on 8/17...

Loads of biting black flies on all trails.
Mosquitos only between 4800-5200 feet

Ridiculously awesome lupine display on the PCT between Horseshoe Meadow and Riley Camp.
The place smelled so good. The fragrance engulfed the mountainside

TONS of berries along the PCT near & in the burn zone.

If I could only choose one hike, it would probably be Bird Creek Meadows/Hellroaring Viewpoint via the South Climb TH.
This approach yields Gotchen Creek Meadows, Crooked Creek Meadows, Bird Creek Meadows, Aiken Lava Flow and Hellroaring Viewpoint. Can't go wrong.
I hiked this on a beautiful sunny Saturday last year and did not see another hiker between South Climb and Bird Creek. Totally empty. Very awesome.

mjuliana

Post by mjuliana » August 21st, 2014, 5:27 pm

Thank you so much for the advice. Not sure if we will make Adams this weekend. Looks like Whittier Ridge just got made Plan A. We will do one of these in early Sept though.
Thanks,
Mike J

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 21st, 2014, 6:20 pm

Agree with Q. I did the South Climb to Hellroaring tour about 10 days ago. It was sublime! Then I wandered uphill and off-trail from Hellroaring VP to Iceberg Lake. Totally awesome. Solitude. Just me and the goats. Not a single bug. Photos in my sig link.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » August 21st, 2014, 6:27 pm

mjuliana wrote:Thank you so much for the advice. Not sure if we will make Adams this weekend. Looks like Whittier Ridge just got made Plan A. We will do one of these in early Sept though.
I'd do Mt. Adams now and save Whittier for later. The fall colors in the Mt. Margaret Backcountry are pretty nice.
(Volcanic eruption → no trees → lots of shrubs → bright red leaves everywhere)

mjuliana

Post by mjuliana » August 21st, 2014, 6:36 pm

adamschneider wrote:
mjuliana wrote:Thank you so much for the advice. Not sure if we will make Adams this weekend. Looks like Whittier Ridge just got made Plan A. We will do one of these in early Sept though.
I'd do Mt. Adams now and save Whittier for later. The fall colors in the Mt. Margaret Backcountry are pretty nice.
(Volcanic eruption → no trees → lots of shrubs → bright red leaves everywhere)
Humm...the original plan was to do Mt Margaret/Whittier in Sept so I think I'm going to take you up on your advice.
Thanks,
Mike J