First backpack trip for kid?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Smile

First backpack trip for kid?

Post by Smile » July 28th, 2014, 10:40 am

Hi Everyone,

My 7 year old son and I are seasoned day hikers, however we would like to get into backpacking. We have been doing walk-in sites at Battleground lake campground for the last few years but would like to start on real backpackable trails.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for an enjoyable first backpack trip? Preferably within a 1-2hr drive of Portland, and can set up camp near a lake where he can swim or a nice river? As with most kids, he loves to get wet and explore so he would enjoy it much more if there was a good place for swimming. Ive done Eagle Creek to seven and half mile camp, and while Im sure he would love the hike, I think it might be a little far for the first trip.

Thanks

Grannyhiker

Re: First backpack trip for kid?

Post by Grannyhiker » July 28th, 2014, 1:08 pm

I'm a big fan of Indian Heaven for the kids--but not until mid-to-late August when the bugs die down and the berries ripen. It's "Mosquito Heaven" right now.

A similar place is the Olallie Lakes Scenic Area. Again, not until the bugs die down. And that area, possibily because more southerly, seems prone to lightning strikes and the resultant fires, so watch the weather and fire reports. I took my 13-year-old grandson in late August last year and he had a blast, christening his new fly rod.

Lower elevation trips will, of course, be hotter, but hopefully less buggy.

mjuliana

Post by mjuliana » July 28th, 2014, 7:31 pm

Thomas Lake in Indian Heaven - http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org ... _Lake_Hike and Bobby Lake down south were two of the 1st places we took our young kids 10 years ago.

On Mt Hood, you can do Lower Twin Lakes or Burnt Lake (a little harder with more elevation gain)
When your son is a little older (12ish), I would recommend doing Eagle Creek from Wahtum Lake down. You just need to trust them on the exposed sections. This is a great intro to longer distances but doing it this way it is all downhill. Downside is you need to arrange for a shuttle. Leave a car at the Eagle Creek TH and get someone to drive you up to Wahtum Lake.
Thanks,
Mike J

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 29th, 2014, 5:57 am

Ramona Falls?

Before the falls, take the PCT towards the Sandy River there are some nice campsites. Maybe 3 miles from trailhead.

If you get off the main Ramona Falls loop, you get away from about 95% of the people

Ryan Ojerio

Post by Ryan Ojerio » August 2nd, 2014, 11:05 am

I've been thinking the same thing for a hike with Lola. I was thinking of the Siouxon Trail which has many streamside spots to camp in a short distance. Up near St. Helens I was thinking of taking her to June Lake, or a little farther on to Chocolate Falls on the Loowit Trail.
Washington Trails Association
Southwest Washington Regional Manager
[email protected]
(360) 722-2657