Cloud Cap Road Re-opening Delayed (July 27)

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
mcgib

Re: Cloud Cap Road Re-opening Delayed (July 27)

Post by mcgib » July 31st, 2014, 7:06 pm

One more question Karl: what is the name or number of the trail you are referring to? Sorry, I'm looking at maps but it's not clear to me which trail you are talking about or where it breaks off from Cloud Cap Road.

Roy

Post by Roy » July 31st, 2014, 7:50 pm

mcgib wrote:One more question Karl: what is the name or number of the trail you are referring to? Sorry, I'm looking at maps but it's not clear to me which trail you are talking about or where it breaks off from Cloud Cap Road.
The Gate is a few yards past the Tilly Jane trail #600 trail parking on the right trail head with large billboard on the left. A half mile up the the Tilly Jane trail junctions with the Pollalie ridge trail they both go to the Timberline trail. The trail to the Shelter,Cooper Spur and tie in rock are in plain site above from there. Every thing is very well marked with signs and although the Tilly Jane trail is mainly a ski trail there are now many boot prints to follow.

I did this hike to Cooper Spur a week before Karl and Jim did it I highly recommend it. Check out my tr, Karls and rainrunners the last couple of weeks.

Its all in plain site easy stuff to follow the Tilly Jane trail passes right through the Tilly Jane campground.

Enjoy.
Last edited by Roy on August 1st, 2014, 6:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Guy

Post by Guy » July 31st, 2014, 7:54 pm

you can also make a loop out of this by using the Pollalie ridge trail, park in the same place but walk up through the closed ski resort to the top of the one chairlift. There you will find the beginning of the Pollalie ridge trail. It's the same distance this way to the Tilly Jane Shelter as the Tilly Jane trail so why go the same way twice if you can make a loop :^).
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Roy

Post by Roy » July 31st, 2014, 7:59 pm

Guy wrote:you can also make a loop out of this by using the Pollalie ridge trail, park in the same place but walk up through the closed ski resort to the top of the one chairlift. There you will find the beginning of the Pollalie ridge trail. It's the same distance this way to the Tilly Jane Shelter as the Tilly Jane trail so why go the same way twice if you can make a loop :^).
I was going to do this loop that day I did it but I lost a piece of gear on the way up and found it on my return on the Tilly Jane trail :D
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 31st, 2014, 8:39 pm

No need to go through the ski area. Pollalie Ridge trail cuts off from Tilly Jane trail only a short ways from trail head. Maybe 3/4 mile at most? There's a link to the track in both my TR and sig.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 1st, 2014, 4:57 am

mcgib wrote:One more question Karl: what is the name or number of the trail you are referring to? Sorry, I'm looking at maps but it's not clear to me which trail you are talking about or where it breaks off from Cloud Cap Road.
Some Googling seems to show that the Tilly Jane trail is #643 and Pollalie Ridge trail is #643A.

https://www.google.com/#q=pollalie+ridge+trail+643A
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

hikerbot

Post by hikerbot » August 6th, 2014, 10:52 am

Looks like the road to Cloud Cap and Tilly Jane will be open starting August 15th @ 7am.

http://www.oregonlive.com/travel/index. ... cart_river

-Q-

Post by -Q- » August 6th, 2014, 3:27 pm

hikerbot wrote:Looks like the road to Cloud Cap and Tilly Jane will be open starting August 15th @ 7am.

http://www.oregonlive.com/travel/index. ... cart_river
Well its about @#$%& time they opened the road :x

Thanks so much for the post & update.

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » August 6th, 2014, 6:30 pm

Oh man, I just went up Cooper Spur today. I got a bonus 5 miles in. But I might not be down this way when the road finally opens, so it's all good.

Roy

Post by Roy » August 7th, 2014, 11:30 am

I was up there a couple weeks back on a weekday and it was very nice being the only person up there all day. I have mixed feelings about the road being closed it was pretty nice having it gated that day.