Cloud Cap Road Re-opening Delayed (July 27)

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
kepPNW

Re: Cloud Cap Road Re-opening Delayed (July 27)

Post by kepPNW » August 7th, 2014, 12:59 pm

Roy wrote:I was up there a couple weeks back on a weekday and it was very nice being the only person up there all day. I have mixed feelings about the road being closed it was pretty nice having it gated that day.
I came away with the same feeling. Besides, driving it sucks up another 1.5 hours that I could've spent outside.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 7th, 2014, 2:01 pm

I like it when they close a section of road and move the trailhead back, making the walk longer

Like the Ramona Falls Trailhead used to be near where the Sandy crossing is now.

Still zillions of people

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » August 7th, 2014, 2:12 pm

retired jerry wrote:I like it when they close a section of road and move the trailhead back, making the walk longer

Like the Ramona Falls Trailhead used to be near where the Sandy crossing is now.

Still zillions of people
Or the year that the opposite happened, the car bridge at the first Sandy crossing washed out doubling the length of the hike. I never saw another soul at Burnt Lake or Ramona Falls, or even on either trail, that entire time it was out. Though I don't miss crossing a thirtysomething degree Sandy in winter/early spring..

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 7th, 2014, 2:27 pm

did you cause the washout that took out the old bridge?

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » August 7th, 2014, 2:51 pm

retired jerry wrote:did you cause the washout that took out the old bridge?
Before I answer that question.. What's the statute of limitations on something like that.. :twisted:

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » August 10th, 2014, 8:22 am

Some good news on the Cloud Cap road. Now I'm holding my breath to see what they've done to the mountain... hopefully, a couple "non-killer" trees have been left standing... :x

Your federal tax dollars at work.

Tom :roll:

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 10th, 2014, 11:36 am

Splintercat wrote:Some good news on the Cloud Cap road. Now I'm holding my breath to see what they've done to the mountain... hopefully, a couple "non-killer" trees have been left standing... :x

Your federal tax dollars at work.
The road's open now. I was hiking with a Crag Rat yesterday who'd just been up there. Apparently, there are still a lot of log piles alongside the road. Not a pretty sight, from what I hear.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

SonOfTamarack

Post by SonOfTamarack » August 12th, 2014, 7:32 pm

Went up to Inspiration Point last week and the road was open. Many ugly piles of unwanted/unvaluable "killer tree" parts around. Some of the Ghost Ridge trail was obscured by the piles, though you get around them.