Headed to Portland for 3 to 4 day backpacking Need advice

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
mrsrums

Headed to Portland for 3 to 4 day backpacking Need advice

Post by mrsrums » July 22nd, 2014, 4:51 pm

Hello hikers!
I have a few questions.
We are currently planning on doing the Eagle Creek Trail. If we are on the trail from Tuesday to Friday is it going to be too crowded to be enjoyable?
What map should we buy?
Is there any way to get from Portland to the trail head without renting a car? We were thinking of trying to use Uber, but apparently Portland doesn't dig on Uber.
Do you have other suggestions for a trail to check out? We are hoping for waterfalls and lots of green. We are moderately experienced hikers, but not pro by any means.

RobinB

Re: Headed to Portland for 3 to 4 day backpacking Need advic

Post by RobinB » July 23rd, 2014, 1:31 pm

mrsrums wrote:We are currently planning on doing the Eagle Creek Trail. If we are on the trail from Tuesday to Friday is it going to be too crowded to be enjoyable?
Eagle Creek's always a little crowded, but midweek you shouldn't have any trouble finding a nice spot.
mrsrums wrote:What map should we buy?
I like Green Trails. Off the top of my head, I think you're looking for 429 (Bonneville Dam). There's also one from National Geographic, 821 (Columbia River Gorge), but it doesn't have mileage listed.
mrsrums wrote:Is there any way to get from Portland to the trail head without renting a car? We were thinking of trying to use Uber, but apparently Portland doesn't dig on Uber.
The trailhead's maybe 45 miles outside of Portland. You might be able to call around for a shuttle or something?
mrsrums wrote:Do you have other suggestions for a trail to check out? We are hoping for waterfalls and lots of green. We are moderately experienced hikers, but not pro by any means.
If you're going to be up for three days, you'll have a lot of time to explore the Gorge. There are a few loop options that you might consider. You could go up Eagle Creek to Wahtum Lake, then come down via either (a) the PCT and Ruckel Creek, (b) the Tanner Butte trail, or (c) Herman Creek, though this would require a considerably longer hike out.

Regardless of which option you take, you'll probably want to spend your first night somewhere along Eagle Creek - there are a bunch of campsites after you pass High Bridge at 3.3 miles - and your second night at Wahtum Lake. The third will depend on which trail you take down: with (a), I'd stay somewhere on the Benson Plateau (assuming there's still water up there); with (b), I'd try for Dublin Lake; and with (c) you'll have your pick of campsites along Herman Creek.

raven

Post by raven » July 23rd, 2014, 6:29 pm

I personally would prefer the Salmon River trail for backpacking in old growth to Eagle Creek, or going around Mount Hood to be high and cool in the summer. The Salmon River has wonderful waterfalls, but they are difficult to see.

If think Uber, then taxis are a suitable alternative for an Eagle Creek hike; you'll pay the meter plus a tip and can get a taxi at the airport, or you could call one. On the way back there is a taxi in Hood River that could pick you up readily in Cascade Locks or by Bonneville Dam or, a bit less readily, at Eagle Creek,
http://www.gorgeyellowcab.com/
Call to ask about the service and for a quote. Be aware that the cab may take awhile to get to you in the Gorge dependent upon the work flow.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » July 23rd, 2014, 7:01 pm

There is public transit to the north side of the Bridge of the Gods at Cascade Locks. You are on the PCT there, or, after crossing the bridge to Oregon, you can take Trail 400 (Gorge level trail) a couple of miles west to Eagle Creek. You need to take TriMet (Portland transit system) to where you can connect to CTran (Vancouver bus system), which you take to the Fishers Landing transit center. There you catch the Skamania County Transit bus which will take you along WA 14. On weekends in the summer, the north end of Bridge of the Gods is a regular stop. On weekdays, you'll have to call ahead for dropoff and pickup. It's complicated, but it is the cheapest way to get there. Google for schedules.

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » July 24th, 2014, 9:42 am

Grannyhiker wrote:You need to take TriMet (Portland transit system) to where you can connect to CTran (Vancouver bus system), which you take to the Fishers Landing transit center. There you catch the Skamania County Transit bus which will take you along WA 14.
Warning: This option can take nearly an entire day if you don't make the connections right!
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

raven

Post by raven » July 25th, 2014, 1:33 pm

Yeah. Cabs and Uber are far more similar in what they offer and price. One can specify a van if the group is large -- at least you can with Radio Cab in Portland -- and you know it will deliver you quickly to the trailhead of choice. Of course, you'll probably have to show the driver the last bit of the route. It's getting back that is more problematic, because the driver has to believe you'll be there when he or she drives out to get you. Uber has the money in advance, so that is an advantage the taxi will not have. Call ahead, make arrangements, perhaps hike out to Cascade Locks before calling for a pick up, and all should work well.

I've discovered a more convenient taxi service for the Salmon River trail or a Hike ending anywhere on the west side of Mount Hood. Very local address, in the town of Rhododendron, although you never know where a taxi is located when it is being dispatched, because that depends on the destination of the previous fare.
http://giddyuptaxi.com/
This cab service actually be useful for any hiker wanting to do one way hikes -- as a means of returning to the car left at the trailhead.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » July 25th, 2014, 1:42 pm

Yes, if you're doing the Skamania Transit option, check the schedules very, very carefully so you arrive at the transfer points in plenty of time!

Skamania Transit added the weekend activity (with stops at many popular trailheads) specifically for hikers, so I hope people are using it! Otherwise the only inexpensive transit for the Gorge will disappear!

mrsrums

Post by mrsrums » July 28th, 2014, 11:52 am

Thank you all so much for all the helpful replies! Looks like transportation is going to be a puzzle, but one we can solve for sure :)