Mt Hood Day Hike suggestions for Late May

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
RayShimley

Mt Hood Day Hike suggestions for Late May

Post by RayShimley » May 15th, 2014, 7:34 am

I am traveling with a group of friends to Portland next week for a conference and we are hoping to get away for a hike in the Mt. Hood national forest near the end of the week. It seems that there is still a lot of snow and ice on the mountain and I'm not sure where to begin to look for trails that will be accessible and traversable without snow shoes or spikes this time of year.

Does anyone that has been in the area recently this year have any recommendations for specific trails to try, or areas around the mountain that would be good starting spots to start planning a trip? It seems it will be about a 2 hr drive from Portland and we'd like to hike for at least 4-6 hrs before heading back. I'd hoped to maybe hike up to one of the spurs to get some nice overlooks, but maybe it is not possible this time of year? We are all in reasonably good shape and up for anything that doesn't require special equipment.

Thanks in advance for any input you may have! I apologize if my question is too vague, but I have never been to the Pacific NW before and am not sure what to expect.

retired jerry

Re: Mt Hood Day Hike suggestions for Late May

Post by retired jerry » May 15th, 2014, 8:25 am

Too much snow up high

Ramona Falls would be good. You may have to cross Sandy on log if they haven't put bridge in yet.

Or Burnt Lake.

Click on "Field Guide" at upper left for description.

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » May 15th, 2014, 8:58 am

And from the two Jerry listed I'd do Burnt Lake if it's a sunny day and Ramona Falls if it's cloudy or wet.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 15th, 2014, 9:02 am

Doing a Tom, Dick, and Harry loop might be feasible. Lots of bang for the buck, there. No snowshoes required in January. Could be some postholing if the current webcam is to be believed...
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » May 15th, 2014, 2:19 pm

kepPNW wrote:Could be some postholing if the current webcam is to be believed...
Wow, I'm surprised by all the snow up top. Of course, those are north-facing slopes, but still...

RayShimley

Post by RayShimley » May 15th, 2014, 2:32 pm

Thanks a lot for the suggestions all! Keep them coming if anyone has anything else to add! I'll be sure to come back and post some pictures when I return.

Peder

Post by Peder » May 15th, 2014, 7:14 pm

I would add that visiting Timberline Lodge is worth the detour and Tamanawas Falls is also a scenic hike.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

-Q-

Post by -Q- » May 15th, 2014, 10:16 pm

Last Wednesday I hiked the Horseshoe Ridge Trail to the magnificent view at Zigzag Point (4800 feet). No snow until the last 100 feet or so.
Very peaceful & quiet hike.

RayShimley

Post by RayShimley » May 16th, 2014, 7:18 am

-Q- wrote:Last Wednesday I hiked the Horseshoe Ridge Trail to the magnificent view at Zigzag Point (4800 feet). No snow until the last 100 feet or so.
Is this the one you are referring to? http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org ... Ridge_Hike

Sounds amazing.

-Q-

Post by -Q- » May 16th, 2014, 8:33 am

RayShimley wrote:
-Q- wrote:Last Wednesday I hiked the Horseshoe Ridge Trail to the magnificent view at Zigzag Point (4800 feet). No snow until the last 100 feet or so.
Is this the one you are referring to? http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org ... Ridge_Hike

Sounds amazing.
Yep, thats the one. Great hike. Not likely that you will see any other people either.
Got your PM, and just responded to it.