snow levels for snowshoeing

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
LisaDHolmes

snow levels for snowshoeing

Post by LisaDHolmes » January 24th, 2014, 4:03 pm

With the extended dry spell we're experiencing, there hasn't been much opportunity for snowshoeing this year. Does anyone know of places that have enough snow to make it worthwhile? Without heading up too high on the mountain? How about locations near Mount St. Helens such as June Lake?

I'm organizing a group snowshoe hike for Sunday, Feb. 2nd but may need to cancel due to lack of snow. I tend to enjoy snowshoeing a lot more when there is at least several feet of snow, with no bare spots and no icy conditions.
Lisa Holmes
graphic designer & hiking book author:
"I Heart Oregon (& Washington): 25 of the Portland Area's Best Hikes" and "I Heart Oregon's Seven Wonders"
http://iheartpacificnorthwest.com
Instagram @lisadholmes

justpeachy

Re: snow levels for snowshoeing

Post by justpeachy » January 28th, 2014, 8:29 am

I was up on Mt. Hood this past weekend. There is snow on the ground at White River and up at Timberline Lodge. I don't think there is much, if any, snow on the Mirror Lake trail, based on what I was seeing in the vicinity.

Sounds like the mountains might be getting some snow later this week, though, so that should help!

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 28th, 2014, 8:59 am

There was essentially no snow below 4000' on the north side of Mt St Helens this weekend. And above that, there was never a need to do anything but carry the snowshoes. :|
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

LisaDHolmes

Post by LisaDHolmes » February 1st, 2014, 9:22 am

Thanks for the updates! I still think we don't have enough snow to make snowshoeing much fun, even with the additional snow this week. If anyone heads up to Mount Hood today, please let us know how much snow there is. I look at the webcams for road conditions, and the snow isn't piling up much yet.
Lisa Holmes
graphic designer & hiking book author:
"I Heart Oregon (& Washington): 25 of the Portland Area's Best Hikes" and "I Heart Oregon's Seven Wonders"
http://iheartpacificnorthwest.com
Instagram @lisadholmes

miah66

Post by miah66 » February 4th, 2014, 10:52 am

There was good snow for snowshoeing on Feb 1,2 above 4000'. About 12-16" in the clearings. We had a great time from Barlow Pass sno-park.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider