Wonderland permit question

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Jane

Wonderland permit question

Post by Jane » February 7th, 2014, 12:22 pm

A friend was wondering if there were any "tricks/tips" to securing a Wonderland Trail permit, which opens soon I believe. I told her I would ask here. Does one also have to know ahead of time their hike timing (arrive at certain camps/miles by certain days)? Any info appreciated and I will pass on to her, thanks!:)

turtle

Re: Wonderland permit question

Post by turtle » February 7th, 2014, 1:56 pm

You need to know your itinerary in advance. Be flexible and have a couple of plans as far as itinerary. If you get off your plan then let the rangers know so they can help you re-schedule. Campsites do fill up. Try starting on a week day as opposed to a weekend. In 2001 a ranger told me that going counter-clockwise would help in getting your preferred itinerary. Apply as early as possible. Get the details of the application process right the first time. Don't be too ambitious as far as daily miles; I think the Wonderland is tough hiking well worth the effort. If you take the Spray Park or Northern Loop options it could get you off the beaten path and help with getting your preferred itinerary. Mowich Lake is a re-supply spot and a beautiful lake. As a camping spot it is a flat shadeless parking lot. South Mowich River site might be a better option for camping. Hope this helps.
Summer breezes caressed me, my legs stepped forward as though possessed of their own appetite, and the mountains kept promising. Rebecca Solnit

vibramhead

Post by vibramhead » February 7th, 2014, 8:16 pm

I've hiked it once, and I'll second what Turtle says. All I can add is that I got my application in as soon as NPS started accepting them, and I had no trouble getting my requested sites. I did it in 7 days, clockwise, starting from Mowich Lake, and spending the 4th night at National Park Inn in Longmire, where I resupplied. I also changed my sites twice along the way, once by stopping at Sunrise and again on the trail with a ranger carrying a radio. I was really impressed with how well-managed the trail was. And I was struck by how virtually every stream crossing was bridged. It's a spectacular hike, and I expect to do it again. Avoid Devil's Dream camp, by the way. The mosquitoes were awful there. That was really the only place where they were a problem.
Time spent hiking will not be deducted from your life.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.

Jane

Post by Jane » February 7th, 2014, 8:23 pm

Thanks guys, I pass your advice on to her! She also had heard that faxing her request was supposedly a better "in" - ?

vibramhead

Post by vibramhead » February 8th, 2014, 9:01 am

Jane wrote:She also had heard that faxing her request was supposedly a better "in" - ?
I haven't heard that, but I guess I wouldn't rule it out. Maybe back it up with a telegram, semaphore, and signal flare. :lol:
Time spent hiking will not be deducted from your life.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.

renegadepilgrim

Post by renegadepilgrim » February 9th, 2014, 1:45 am

There is no "in". All requests are processed randomly. (http://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/w ... permit.htm)

On our failed attempt this past year, we gave ourselves 9 or 10 days. Know your limits. I know some people who have done it in 3 days, and some people who have done it in 12 days. More and more people apply each year, but if you have some flexibility you might be able to do a walk-up permit...they save a certain number of spaces for walk-up permits.
Travel and Outdoor Adventure Website: http://www.renegadepilgrim.com
Instagram/Tumblr/Twitter: renegadepilgrim

OldHouseMan

Post by OldHouseMan » February 9th, 2014, 12:25 pm

When can reservation requests be sent in. The "Making a Reservation" link appears to not be working.

On this page under "Helpful Links".

http://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/t ... -trail.htm