Cascade Locks to Timberline Lodge

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
golem

Cascade Locks to Timberline Lodge

Post by golem » May 30th, 2012, 7:50 am

Hi everyone!

I'm travelling from Spain to Portland due to my job, and I have some days to spend in the wilderness of Oregon. I can't wait for it! I've searching the web, and what suits me best is to hike for 4-5 days from Cascade Locks to Timberline Lodge following the Pacific Crest Trail (is this feasible, or does it require more days?).
I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to get from Portland to Cascade Locks by public transport, as well as from Timberline Lodge to Portland.
I believe that Cascade Locks has markets and shops where I might find food supplies as well as maps of the area and other stuff I might need for the hike. Am I right?
Also, any other information of the hike will be welcome!
Thanks!

Guillermo.

Guy

Re: Cascade Locks to Timberline Lodge

Post by Guy » May 30th, 2012, 8:57 am

Guillermo,

When would you be going this? I would say that the last part, up & over Paradise Park is normally difficult before Mid July. If it's after July 15th you should have no problems with the distance or your timeline.

There is no public transport to Cascade Locks but people on this site have been known to offer rides to out of town visitors so lets us know your dates & someone here may be willing to help you if they have the time.

I would recommend buying your food supplies etc in Portland before heading to the trailhead.

I would also suggest that you consider beginning at Eagle Creek instead & hiking that trail up to the PCT at Wahtum Lake. The total distance is about the same but the Eagle Creek trail is more scenic.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

mjirving

Post by mjirving » May 30th, 2012, 11:23 am

I'd go further than say "recommend" Eagle Creek...you "must" do Eagle Creek. (Most of the PCT thru-hikers do the Eagle Creek section too as an official "alternate" to the main PCT.

Go to www.pctmap.net to use the famous and free PCT maps from "Halfmile". (They show half-mile increments of the PCT) You can download just the maps for the section you want and then print them out and use them on your mobile device.

From personal experience if you went hard I would say to go from Cascade Locks via Eagle Creek to Wahtum Lake on the first day and camp there with sites around the lake or at the "official" campground up the 300 steps to the road. Then 2nd day go to Lolo Pass and then the 3rd day go to Timberline Lodge. (Make sure again you "must" take the Ramona Falls alternate and the Paradise Park alternate. Both will add little mileage but add huge scenic value. If you want to stretch the hike to more days then that's fine, just know it can be done in 3 as that's what I did although it's pushing it pretty good to do in 3 for a non-seasoned non-thru-hiker.

Two other apps that are great for the iPhone if you have it are "PCT Oregon" from Guthook's Hiking Guides and "Topo Maps" where you can download selected regions of interest and use your GPS on your phone to monitor and track your progress.

If you get to downtown Portland, I would recommend the big REI store for supplies/maps and everything you need.

Let me/us know if you have other questions! I love hiking the PCT and I'm sure you will too! Just make sure it's at least mid-July before you go due to snow.

Mike

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » May 30th, 2012, 1:05 pm

Actually, you can get from Portland to Cascade Locks by public transport, but it's rather roundabout. The Vancouver, WA transit system (C-Tran) will take you to the Fisher's Landing transit center. From Fisher's Landing, Monday through Friday, the Skamania County bus runs twice a day to Carson. You'll have to call ahead (google their website for the number) to arrange a dropoff at the north end of the Bridge of the Gods. Cross the bridge (that's where the PCT does) and you are in Cascade Locks. Note that the Skamania County bus doesn't run on weekends.

I just found this site http://www.mthood.info/travel/mt-hood-t ... ation.html, which shows a bus from Bend to Portland that will make flag stops in the Mt. Hood area. You'll need to call 24 hours in advance. There is also a link to a shuttle service. The shuttle is probably quite pricey but more convenient.

As mentioned, it will probably be mid-July before the higher elevations on Mt. Hood are melted out. If you're coming before then, your best bet would be to take the Eagle Creek trail to where it meets the PCT at Wahtum Lake and then take either the PCT or the Herman Creek trail back to Cascade Locks. This would probably be better ending at Eagle Creek so you save the best scenery for the last. There is a river/highway level trail (Gorge Trail 400) along most of the Gorge that you can hike between Cascade Locks and Eagle Creek.
Last edited by Grannyhiker on May 30th, 2012, 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

renegadepilgrim

Post by renegadepilgrim » May 30th, 2012, 3:24 pm

Guillermo,

If you are looking for a hiking partner let me know...I've wanted to do that stretch of the PCT for a while. I might have some time in July to do it, too...

FWIW, I walked El Camino in 2010, served as a hospitalera in 2011 and planning to walk again this fall on the Camino Portuguese.

I'd be happy to help you while you are in town with any questions you may have.
Travel and Outdoor Adventure Website: http://www.renegadepilgrim.com
Instagram/Tumblr/Twitter: renegadepilgrim

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » May 30th, 2012, 6:54 pm

As others have mentioned, let us know when you'll be here; very possibly we can arrange rides.

Helen

Post by Helen » May 30th, 2012, 8:34 pm

Yes, another one here who could help you with a ride.

golem

Post by golem » May 31st, 2012, 2:50 am

Wow! I must say I'm very impressed with all your answers! I wasn't expecting such amount of good information and willingness to help! Thank you very much!
First, I'll be doing this hike from July 8th-9th to July 14-15th (it depends on the transport availability). I hope there is not much snow around Mt Hood!!
I'll definitely take the Eagle Creek variant, as well as the Ramona Falls and Paradise Park alternate, as you all recommend them.
My "base camp" will be Portland, since there is where my plane arrives and leaves from. People from Portland, if you want to share some time with a spaniard hiker, this is your chance!

renegadepilgrim: I've done el camino too! From Roncesvalles all the way to Santiago. I'll be happy to share this hike with you, so if my dates work with you, just let me know!

To the people who offered to help with a ride, let me first thank you. Since I might be joining renegadepilgrim, I'll try to figure out with her (I assume you are a woman, since you served as hospitalera) how to get to the start of the hike and from the end point. In case I might need a ride, I'll let you know.

thanks again!

Best from Spain!

Guille.

Guy

Post by Guy » May 31st, 2012, 4:37 am

July 8th-9th to July 14-15th (it depends on the transport availability)
If it was last year I would say that you would not be able to do the last section from Ramona Falls to Timberline Lodge due to snow but this year you may be lucky! There is less snow this year and at the moment we seem to be about 3 weeks ahead of last year with snow amounts.

Keep an eye on this site as it gets closer to July, normally a Mt. Hood Snow Melt thread starts up & people post snow status.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » May 31st, 2012, 10:02 am

A few years ago we had a contest guessing when the snow would be completely gone from the trail from Timberline to Paradise Park. I remember being one of the two winners but I can't remember the date. I think it was somewhere near July 25. Edit, later: No, it was August 2, 2009. That was another year of lots of snow and late snow melt, although mild compared to 2011.

Of course you can usually get over/through the snow on the trail several weeks before that. However, you may have trouble finding the trail in early July. There will also be early wildflowers where the snow has melted back in the meadows. As long as there aren't steep icy snowbanks requiring crampons and an ice axe, and the snow has melted enough that you can find the trail, you may be OK. It all depends on the weather between now and then. Unfortunately, we're supposed to be going into another cool, wet period, but that always happens during the Portland Rose Festival.

Watch the trip reports here for trips to Paradise Park. As mentioned, we have always had a "snow level" thread--I'm surprised it hasn't started yet! For research, check trip reports from 2010 and 2009 for Paradise Park (the search function works fine here as long as you aren't searching for what the software considers too-common words like Dog Mountain or Lost Lake). 2011, as mentioned, had not only above-normal snow pack but very cold and wet weather, with snow at higher elevations, until July, and that doesn't appear to be happening this year.

Thanks to the Mark O Hatfield trail http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org ... Trail_Hike and Gorge Trail #400, a lot of loops are possible in the Columbia River Gorge. Some parts of the Hatfield Trail are unmaintained or difficult, but there are volunteers here working on it.

You could also take the PCT southbound from Wahtum Lake until you run into too much snow and/or difficult stream fords, then retrace your steps to Wahtum Lake and return by one of the routes I described earlier. You should get at least to Bald Mountain with its spectacular view of Mt. Hood. This might be your best bet if the Paradise Park section isn't yet open when you come. You'd get a combination of the PCT as far south as it's open and a nice loop in the Columbia River Gorge.