Hiking near Newport

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
lisaeirene

Hiking near Newport

Post by lisaeirene » April 25th, 2012, 10:56 am

Hey everyone -

I'm going to Newport for an overnight stay and wanted do some hiking around there. Any tips or suggestions?

payslee

Re: Hiking near Newport

Post by payslee » April 25th, 2012, 1:28 pm

Cascade Head, just north of Lincoln City and not far from Newport, is probably my favorite trail on the Coast. Start at the lower trailhead (if not in the field guide, you can google it), and you hike up through old-growth sitka spruce forest to open meadows on cliffs overlooking the ocean.... often Elk are hanging around up there. This time of year they may also be doing butterfly releases, which are fun to watch.

It's a Nature Conservancy wildlife refuge so no dogs are permitted, but hikers are welcome and it's lovely. If you want something longer / harder you can keep going all the way down to the Hart's Cove waterfall, which is 3 or 4 more miles past the meadows.

-payslee

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » April 25th, 2012, 2:03 pm

The trail to Hart's Cove (or more properly, the road to the trailhead) isn't open until July 16. Interesting that the USFS closes their part of this area during the butterfly season, while the Nature Conservancy section remains open.

You can also go south of Newport to Cape Perpetua, a spectacular place with lots of trails. It's National Forest land down there, so don't forget your NW Forest Pass.

Lots of great beach to hike on right around Newport. Don't forget to visit Yaquina Head and the Oregon Coast Aquarium if you've never been!

If you plan to spend any any time at the coast, I strongly recommend William Sullivan's guidebook to the Oregon Coast and Coast Range.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 25th, 2012, 2:13 pm

Drift Creek Wilderness

Peder

Post by Peder » April 25th, 2012, 2:30 pm

As stated above, Cascade Head from the lower trailhead is a great hike with fantastic views. My preferred hike around there is Salishan Spit. For Salishan Spit I start from the Salishan Market, Spa & Resort (milepost 121.5 of Hwy 101); it is a 6 mile loop to the end of Salishan Spit where there are always seals. Remember not to disturb the seals. Both hikes are in Sullivan's coast guide.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

lisaeirene

Post by lisaeirene » May 5th, 2012, 9:37 am

Awesome! Thank you guys!