Winter Hiking in Bend

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
pnw86

Winter Hiking in Bend

Post by pnw86 » January 29th, 2015, 5:21 pm

Hi,

I am heading to bend in mid February and was hoping to do some hiking, preferably something with a view. I have been to smith rock for climbing many times, so I was hoping to find something new. I know a lot of the trails are closed during the winter. I do have trekking poles and crampons. Beginner to intermediate would be preferred, but any suggestions would be wonderful! Thank you!

cfm

Re: Winter Hiking in Bend

Post by cfm » January 29th, 2015, 7:25 pm

They have a dearth of snow too. Possibilities are many. Romann posted a recent TR on Cove Palisades SP. You can also hit Tumalo SP, the Badlands, Whychus Creek and even get up to Pine Mountain right now. No doubt you can travel high up on the Cascade Lakes Highway and Mckenzie Pass to access THs.

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » January 30th, 2015, 6:27 am

cfm wrote:They have a dearth of snow too. Possibilities are many. Romann posted a recent TR on Cove Palisades SP. You can also hit Tumalo SP, the Badlands, Whychus Creek and even get up to Pine Mountain right now. No doubt you can travel high up on the Cascade Lakes Highway and Mckenzie Pass to access THs.
No snow but gates on highways are still closed (Cascade Lakes and 242) at winter closing spots. Check ODOT for updates, they're usually quicker than the forest service.

raven

Post by raven » January 30th, 2015, 11:33 pm

Forest Service roads aren't usually gated, so they may offer access to the Three Creeks Lake or Pole Creek areas. You can inquire at the Sister's Ranger Station.

tambli22

Post by tambli22 » February 7th, 2015, 3:07 pm

raven wrote:Forest Service roads aren't usually gated, so they may offer access to the Three Creeks Lake or Pole Creek areas. You can inquire at the Sister's Ranger Station.
There is very little snow here in Bend but many of the roads to trailheads are closed for the season regardless. You'd probably be able to leave for a hike from any of the snoparks at or below 6, 000'.

Helen

Post by Helen » February 7th, 2015, 8:04 pm

tambli22 wrote:
raven wrote:Forest Service roads aren't usually gated, so they may offer access to the Three Creeks Lake or Pole Creek areas. You can inquire at the Sister's Ranger Station.
There is very little snow here in Bend but many of the roads to trailheads are closed for the season regardless. You'd probably be able to leave for a hike from any of the snoparks at or below 6, 000'.
Thank you for the information.

I have a really bad feeling about the forest fires this summer...