Favorite rainy day hikes?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
-Q-

Re: Favorite rainy day hikes?

Post by -Q- » November 20th, 2014, 4:24 pm

BigBear wrote:On the 1st statement, I hate sweating in my raingear to get to a summit with no view.
Me too, which is why I simply don't wear a rain jacket.
My solution is a good sized umbrella.
Keeps my head & abdomen dry, as well as my backpack.
I do wear rain pants though.
Love the umbrella approach :D

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » November 20th, 2014, 6:31 pm

Siouxon Creek is probably fun in the rain, only really been there when either snowing or sunny.

mjirving

Post by mjirving » November 22nd, 2014, 7:02 am

Eagle Creek in the Gorge with a hiking umbrella strapped to the pack straps with water pouring off the cliff on top of you and Eagle Creek raging.

-GoalTech

AAdamsPDX

Post by AAdamsPDX » November 24th, 2014, 10:04 am

Since no one else has mentioned it (other favorites have been mentioned several times over!) - the Salmon River Trail is one of my favorites in the rain. Old growth, cushion-y deep green moss, old cedar nurse stumps and logs dissolving into deep red sponges (most colorful when thoroughly soaked), plus a beautiful river. If you love our rainforests, it doesn't get much better. If you want a snow-free hike it's best to check recent weather, as there can be snow at that elevation - though I've been up there in nearly every month of the year and only run into a little snow once.

Whenever I'm up there I always drive on a ways to the end of the road and also wander around at the beginning of the trail up Salmon Butte, since just a little ways in and off the trail are some truly lovely big trees.
"The world begins where the road ends." ~Eddie Vedder
http://www.hriggsphotography.com/

Zia

Post by Zia » November 24th, 2014, 4:14 pm

I have a great list of hikes thanks to everyone. We ended up going to Tamanawas Falls. However in the heck do you pronounce that? LOL it's like a tongue twister for me.

Anyway it was a great hike to get back in the swing of things and rainy or not, it was a beautiful one as well!