Loowit 360 in Novemeber

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Surridge

Loowit 360 in Novemeber

Post by Surridge » October 27th, 2014, 2:17 pm

So far it appears that most of the snow is staying above 4500 feet. If this holds what would a Loowit 360 look like the first week of November. I know a lot could happen weather wise in the next few weeks but if snow level stays similar what would I be looking at? Some sections of snow? Cold and windy weather? How would navigation be this time of year if no or little snow? This is weather dependent and needs a clear day for sure.

Water

Re: Loowit 360 in Novemeber

Post by Water » October 31st, 2014, 1:00 pm

Nobody has replied. Well have you done the trail in the summer? The short and sweet of it is if the snow level stays the same you're looking at a pretty similar terrain conditions. Cool idea overall but I think your window was the first weekend in October..

Windy Pass might have some snow but probably very easily manageable. Likewise with sections of the South side of the trail at timberline. Patches of snow but straight forward if you've done it before.

1) Rivers--while in heat of summer you have snow melt, the rain we've had lately I would expect all creek crossings to be running much more swiftly. Crossing some of them could be more than rock hopping. At least on the Toutle you probably get fairly wet. It could be thigh deep.. Unless it is a beautiful way above average day, even if it isn't raining it will be cool out. Not like getting a bit wet in summer. A number of the North Side crossings may also require you to get wet to the knees at least.

2) Day light--days in November are so short! You'll really have to make the most of daylight hours.
Feel Free to Feel Free

Surridge

Post by Surridge » November 1st, 2014, 8:44 am

This would be my first trip around the crater. River crossings are probably my greatest concern. Thanks for that. Plan on 2 days for the trip to make up for lack of daylight. Anyone know if TH at june lake is still open? Thanks. Will continue keeping an eye on the weather..

romann

Post by romann » November 1st, 2014, 7:19 pm

If the gate to June Lake is closed, you can park in Marable Sno-park and it will be about 2/3 mile (plus or minus) road walk to June Lake Trailhead. Without snow, I think they cannot require snow pass...

Water

Post by Water » November 1st, 2014, 11:50 pm

surridge,

i do not know your background, but, especially if planning solo.. I would pause this trip until next summer, or early fall if you especially want to do it in fall. My guesses about water levels were just guesses. It could just be thigh and knee deep, maybe just knee and ankle. But also it could be hip and thigh deep.. not something to take lightly. The sun probably barely even hits the bottom of the toutle river valley.

likewise with the weather this time of year, maybe you are well versed in NW/mountain weather so i am just sounding full of hot air. but unless we get a great piece of high pressure parking itself over us for 3-5 days+, it's generally 1 day of sun at best between systems coming off the ocean. If things don't go as expected it can be a really lousy time for S&R operations (as is peak of winter during high avy/storms/short days).

Maybe I'm over-reacting but i would not recommend hitting it now for anyone casually into hiking or if the loowit trail is a hiking 'aspiration'--as in something that would push your boundaries. Other PHs set me straight if i'm sounding fear-mongerish...frankly i rarely get on the 'it's too dangerous' track when people ask about stuff, but without knowing OPs background this seems fair assessment.
Feel Free to Feel Free

Guy

Post by Guy » November 2nd, 2014, 7:06 am

Water wrote:surridge,

i do not know your background, but, especially if planning solo.. I would pause this trip until next summer, or early fall if you especially want to do it in fall. My guesses about water levels were just guesses. It could just be thigh and knee deep, maybe just knee and ankle. But also it could be hip and thigh deep.. not something to take lightly. The sun probably barely even hits the bottom of the toutle river valley.

likewise with the weather this time of year, maybe you are well versed in NW/mountain weather so i am just sounding full of hot air. but unless we get a great piece of high pressure parking itself over us for 3-5 days+, it's generally 1 day of sun at best between systems coming off the ocean. If things don't go as expected it can be a really lousy time for S&R operations (as is peak of winter during high avy/storms/short days).

Maybe I'm over-reacting but i would not recommend hitting it now for anyone casually into hiking or if the loowit trail is a hiking 'aspiration'--as in something that would push your boundaries. Other PHs set me straight if i'm sounding fear-mongerish...frankly i rarely get on the 'it's too dangerous' track when people ask about stuff, but without knowing OPs background this seems fair assessment.
I would just like to echo these words of caution. Again we don't know your experience level but doing this hike at this time of year is a major undertaking. The loop has significantly more opportunities for a serious fall that the Mt. Hood Loop does even taking the Elliot crossing into account. Also several miles on rocks with no distinct trail to see if the clouds drop & you get socked in. It's more than I would want to take on at this time of the year.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Surridge

Post by Surridge » November 3rd, 2014, 11:04 am

Really appreciate your opinions. After seeing how much precip we've had over the past two weeks since I began thinking of this trip I'm probably putting it off until another time. Any other recommendations for trips? I have quite a bit of long distance hiking experience, but looking at something in the 20 mile range. Maybe a loop on St Helens that doesnt involve stream crossings? Or Jefferson area? If weather is looking bad, I may head to Badger Creek Wilderness for an overnighter...

drm

Post by drm » November 3rd, 2014, 2:17 pm

The longer version of the Trapper Creek loop (Trapper Creek / Big Hollow / Dry Creek) is 17 miles or so and should be reasonably safe in any weather as long as you are dressed warm enough.

-Q-

Post by -Q- » November 3rd, 2014, 4:33 pm

Few random thoughts...

I was able to drive to the June Lake TH about 3 weeks ago. The road was not gated then.
The MSH website it a bit outdated. I couldn't find current road conditions.

In Oregon, Sno-Park permit season begins on November 1, snow or no snow.
Not sure if WA is the same.

I would be very worried about the creek crossings this time of year, especially with all the recent rain and snow (which has melted) that we have had.
The Toutle crossing would worry me a lot.

Weather on MSH is the worst around.
If its going to be bad somewhere, its usually MSH.

As others have mentioned, route finding on MSH is often challenging. The Loowit Trail on the north and east side can be tough to follow. If clouds decended and limited visability, it could pose a problem.

drm

Post by drm » November 4th, 2014, 7:50 am

Washington sno-park dates starts December 1 unless signs say otherwise (due to early weather). The permanent signs all say Dec 1. SR 35 and US 26 are much higher at their passes than sno-parks around here. Not sure if the dates are different up on Snoqualmie and farther north.