Snow today...UGGGGG!!!!

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
mcds

Re: Snow today...UGGGGG!!!!

Post by mcds » October 21st, 2014, 10:57 am

Snowed again at Timberline Lodge last night.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » October 21st, 2014, 11:26 am

Snow - yea, bring it on!!

I already had my introduction to snowstorms in Norway last month: I started a hike into one of the national parks (I think it was Jotunheimen - still sorting trip pics)

Upon return from hike at 3,800' TH (Up higher it was near white out): September 26th!

Don
Last edited by Don Nelsen on October 21st, 2014, 11:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

mcds

Post by mcds » October 21st, 2014, 11:32 am

Don Nelsen wrote:Snow - yea, bring it on!!
Agreed, now if we could only get it to snow, decently, in Portland.

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » October 21st, 2014, 1:54 pm

mcds wrote:
Don Nelsen wrote:Snow - yea, bring it on!!
Agreed, now if we could only get it to snow, decently, in Portland.
I love playing in the snow but not working in the snow. As a local truck driver for Fred Meyer, there is no "decent" snowfall in Portland. The roads become accident (in contrast with parking) lots. Total headaches. Or migraines. :roll: Especially when going up the Sylvan hill at 5 mph in the ice and some dumb @ss stops in front of you. When that happens, you have to call a semi tow truck because the truck I drive weighs 98,000 lbs. Let's just admire the beautiful snow in the hills, ok? ;) :lol:

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » October 21st, 2014, 2:32 pm

forestkeeper wrote:Let's just admire the beautiful snow in the hills, ok? ;) :lol:
Hear hear; there's no good reason for snow down here near sea level. Those who love it can always go visit it in the mountains where it belongs!

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » October 21st, 2014, 9:15 pm

With the remnants of a tropical storm heading our way it'll be much more likely for rain to wash away what little snow there is instead of bringing more. Any real measurable snow is still a bit of wishful thinking right now..

mcds

Post by mcds » October 22nd, 2014, 4:51 pm

forestkeeper wrote:
I love playing in the snow but not working in the snow. As a local truck driver for Fred Meyer, there is no "decent" snowfall in Portland. The roads become accident (in contrast with parking) lots. Total headaches. Or migraines. :roll: Especially when going up the Sylvan hill at 5 mph in the ice and some dumb @ss stops in front of you. When that happens, you have to call a semi tow truck because the truck I drive weighs 98,000 lbs. Let's just admire the beautiful snow in the hills, ok? ;) :lol:
Yeah, that's because Portland does not get decent snow :).

What's decent snow?

This, in time for Thanksgiving on a regular basis

According to the Federal Highway Administration, the number of accidents would drop if our rainy season was replaced by a snow season.
The vast majority of most weather-related crashes happen on wet pavement and during rainfall: Seventy-four percent (74%) on wet pavement and forty-six percent (46%) during rainfall. A much smaller percentage of weather-related crashes occur during winter conditions: Seventeen percent (17%) of during snow or sleet, twelve percent (12%) occur on icy pavement and fourteen percent (14%) of weather-related crashes take place on snowy or slushy pavement.

LOL. To know the real numbers you'd need to account for there being fewer snow-days than non-snow-days. Here is the source

http://www.ops.fhwa.dot.gov/weather/q1_roadimpact.htm

Probably the biggest issue is that Portland's public infrastructure has not been designed for decent snow.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » October 22nd, 2014, 5:19 pm

mcds wrote:
The vast majority of most weather-related crashes happen on wet pavement and during rainfall: Seventy-four percent (74%) on wet pavement and forty-six percent (46%) during rainfall. A much smaller percentage of weather-related crashes occur during winter conditions: Seventeen percent (17%) of during snow or sleet, twelve percent (12%) occur on icy pavement and fourteen percent (14%) of weather-related crashes take place on snowy or slushy pavement.
It's like those silly statistics that say "most car accidents occur within 5 miles of your home!" or "The Honda Accord is the most-stolen car!" Um, yeah... where do we do most of our driving? And which cars are the most common? Just once, I'd like to see them report RATES instead of raw numbers!

R11

Post by R11 » October 23rd, 2014, 12:55 pm

mcds wrote:According to the Federal Highway Administration, the number of accidents would drop if our rainy season was replaced by a snow season.

LOL. To know the real numbers you'd need to account for there being fewer snow-days than non-snow-days. Here is the source

http://www.ops.fhwa.dot.gov/weather/q1_roadimpact.htm

Probably the biggest issue is that Portland's public infrastructure has not been designed for decent snow.
Maybe I missed it. I don't see where they draw any conclusions of that sort? On the other point, PDX's traffic infrastructure is purposely designed using cost/benefit analysis to align with the typical weather we receive, which historically has been a very low (and steadily decreasing) number of snow events annually.

ron

mcds

Post by mcds » October 23rd, 2014, 3:44 pm

R11 wrote: Maybe I missed it. I don't see where they draw any conclusions of that sort? On the other point, PDX's traffic infrastructure is purposely designed using cost/benefit analysis to align with the typical weather we receive, which historically has been a very low (and steadily decreasing) number of snow events annually. ron
They don't. If they did, I'd have quoted them. The LOL was self-directed. On the other point, that was my point. If you're intent was to nick me, you ought to have pointed out that even knowing the number of days would be insufficient.